The leadership conference is now on lds.org if you're interested in reading it...
On a note about the post on Judging...all of you had such insightful, wonderful comments. I loved reading them so much. Thank you thank you for that. It helped me realize again how much we are all trying to do our best. If you haven't had a chance to read all of the comments, I highly suggest it, they are so good! Along those lines, this was also from that same meeting, this quote is by Elder Oaks. Read it sloooowly.
"In all that we have discussed, I think it is fundamental for us to avoid taking the world’s models as our guides for parenting and marriage and all of those things that have eternal importance. I’m mindful of the counsel recorded in 2 Corinthians, chapter 6. Paul was speaking to those who had the gospel, and he said, “[Don’t be] unequally yoked together with unbelievers; for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?” (2 Corinthians 6:14). He’s telling us that we cannot afford to stand side by side, yoked with the world, when we are trying to make fundamental eternal decisions."
How true! So many of you said this very thing. We can not care what anyone thinks of us, sometimes this may even be our friends and hardest of all...family, we can only do what we know is right for our own family. And then if we feel judged, chose not to be offended.
This was another part that I feel was meant for me to hear. This is Elder Holland near the very end of their discussion.
"I’ve often thought, and I’ve said to my own children, that those parents who kept going past Chimney Rock and past Martin’s Cove (and sometimes didn’t get farther than that) and those little graves that are dotted all across the historic landscape of this Church—they didn’t do that for a program, they didn’t do it for a social, they did it because the faith of the gospel of Jesus Christ was in their soul, it was in the marrow of their bones. That’s the only way those mothers could bury that baby in a breadbox and move on and say, “The promised land is out there somewhere. We’re going to make it to the valley.”
Well, that’s because of covenants and doctrine and faith and revelation and spirit. If we can keep that in our families and in the Church, maybe a lot of other things start to take care of themselves. Maybe a lot of other things sort of fall off the wagon. I’m told those handcarts could only take so much. They had to choose what they took. And maybe the 21st century will drive us to decide, “What can we put on this handcart?” It’s the substance of our soul; it’s the stuff right down in the marrow of our bones. We’ll have blessed family and Church if we can cling to the revelations."
And so I ask myself...what do I need to throw off my handcart? What do I need to do to make it lighter so that my family isn't pushing so much crap over this giant mountain of life. I can't help but wonder what I am putting first in my small handcart- and I don't think he's speaking of material things. All in all it made me re-examine my life and think about what I am doing with my TIME to best help my beautiful family get through this life knowing that I did my very best.
It would be just a few simple things....the trick is remembering.
What would you leave, (or at least leave most of) out of your handcart?






9 comments:
The computer... I spend countless hours with this thing. and for what? For instance I spent 30 minutes today trying to make my blog look right in Internet explorer. Looks great in Firefox, but one line of code was making everything on the side jump to the bottom. It is true that I do use the computer for a lot of really good things like genealogy and it is the basis for how I make a living. Still the time I waste surfing for music or looking for cool javascripts. The TV is another thing I would drop off the cart I have a sweet 42" plasma. It broke and I have lived without TV for the most part since Thanksgiving. I guess what I would like to drop off my cart is time wasters. Just have to prioritize my time better and spend it doing useful uplifting things.
I agree with the previous comment...I would SO get rid of the TV and computer. It takes up so much of both Eric and my time. (More computer for me, TV for him.)
Sometimes I think that my job would be nice to throw off the handcart; although I love my job, sometimes it would be really nice if I didn't have to work.
Finally, there are certain people in my life that I would remove, and am currently doing so. Removing someone from your life is really hard to do, if it's temporary or permanent. But you just gotta do what's best for your family, and that's what I'm trying to do. (I'm sure you can figure out who I'm talking about, Jen!)
Do you know what I have loved most about all this discussion - the fact that because of it I have studied and pondered the things that were taught in that session. Otherwise, I probably would have gone, felt the spirit, and not thought much more about it. So, thank you for helping me internalize it a little better.
Some things that I would throw off my handcart: Unfortunately, most of my "time" is absorbed by my negative thoughts. My doubts, feelings of inadequacy, guilt (on so many levels), obsessions with earthly things. This is what I would like to "turn over to the Lord." I have a constant battle within my soul about a bigger, nicer house. I don't know where the line is. I don't really need it. Our house is beautiful and fits our needs. All these doubts of mine...
...and the TV.
If I could just have more faith, the kind of faith Elder Holland described, I would be able to dump these internal struggles and be a better wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, church member, etc. I guess it's a constant struggle that we just keep trying to improve, little by little. It's like Kristy said, we just keep trying to swim in the right direction.
One more thing...
I was so touched by Jana's comment about allowing the Lord to intervene on these important decisions. I was talking to a friend of mine who has six kids already (her oldest is 16, and her youngest is a preschooler). She and her husband have had two foster daughters for about eight months (when she got them they were about 20 months and 9 months). The plan from the social worker has always been to reunite them with their mother. This past week, the story changed. It is looking like these two girls will be put up for adoption. In talking to my friend, she said that she really didn't want to do that, but she knows that it is what the Lord wants her to do. She shared with me some very touching experiences that she has had while trying to let God's will become her own. When she turned to the Lord, her questions and doubts were answered. She feels much more at peace and knows that the Lord will provide.
I know I told you about this, but I thought some other people might benefit from it as well. I know I have.
I couldn't agree more with TV & Internet/computer. Maybe it's too much of a challenge for me right now to get rid of the internet, it's how I communicate & keep in touch with family & friends near & far. So I guess "moderation in all things," I just need to limit myself. We don't have TV (& it really STINKS!!) but I know that would just be more times wasted.
I also agree with removing certain people because of what influence they can have, temptations they can bring & how they make you feel or act. I used to think I needed to help these people, but some of them are bringing me down more than I am bringing them up!
I wish I could think of my own ideas to throw off my cart, but so far it looks like everyone else has the right idea.
So sad about the pen and the computer. Tanner sounds like such a joy! My due date is April 2.
Computer, totally. This was really good, thanks for your thoughts. It reminds me of something I heard once at a fireside and that's that we don't get to take a U-haul with us to heaven!
I love "choose not to be offended" I think that is something so important to remember. If you really sit back and think about it, people usually don't choose to offend you in the first place. You have to give others the benefit of the doubt.
I couldn't agree more with the previous comments. Technology is wonderful, but if I had to throw something off, it would be TV and Computer, those are usually the only things that take away from my family. But I will probably try more to work on throwing off my unnecessary wordly items. I think I need to work on living with what I need, rather than what I want.
I think one of the things that holds me back from spiritual progression is pride. Just an unwillingness to let go of my own desires and ideas and letting the Lord take over and doing things his way. Neal A. Maxwell talked about how the only thing we can give the Lord is our will, and that's a big part of it...if we can get rid of this big obsession with ME and MY wants and MY desires and how I look and start focusing on others, I think that would be one of the best things we could do for our load! At least, for me it would be.
Post a Comment