Monday, February 4, 2008

I'm tryyyyyying...

Saw this quote on my sisters blog.  Love it, don't live by it very well.  That's why I love it.  Why is it so hard for me to play with my kids?  I sit down to play a game (I am such a good mom)...then I look around, oooh, I need to sweep.  Oh, I can see under the piano, it looks like the dust colony has settled comfortably, oh, look at the paint in here, it's so ugly, what color should I repaint it?? How long has it been since I dusted in here?  Oh crap did I pay the mortgage yet for this month? Those couches...I need to run them through a car wash.  What? Oh yeah, it's my turn....

p.s. how amazing am I....I've been posting so religiously.  Amazing.

9 comments:

Michelle Arnett said...

You don't give yourself enough credit girly girl. . besides being amazing in your own right, you are sooo willing to serve. . . you have your plate full! Besides, one day they will all thank you for the thousands of pictures they have of themselves! You say you don't take pics of your kids, I don't believe it for a second. You take WAY more than any other mom (who isn't obsessed with a camera). love ya. Thanks for taking Lando to school today I REALLY appreciate it!

tiffunny said...

Love that quote! I too always have my focus somewhere else when I actually sit down to play with my kids. I really want to do better on that this year and maybe if i print that quote out and put it on my bathroom mirror or somewhere - maybe I'll do better.

Emily said...

I peeked at your sister's blogs today because they just sound like great people. I don't know what inspired me more - that quote or the fact that she's lost her love handles (I immediately reserved a copy of South Beach Diet at the library). Seriously...I've seen you with your kids and you do better than you think. I actually sat and read books with Macy today (that's my interpretation of "playing") instead of clean my house. I only wish it weren't such an anomaly! Thanks for the reminger Jen (and Jana).

Emily said...

I obviously meant "reminder" (I'm a little off today).

Anonymous said...

You Sat down with them. That is what they are going to remember! You are the best. Looks like such a great trip. Your mom told me all about it. Good for you to take time off to spend time with just your honey! M

Meredith said...

Um I think it's only normal to think of those things while you're playing with the kids; it's when you take time to relax and enjoy life that you notice what you've been needing to do. :) I do it ALL the time.

Amber said...

Playing with the kids is what dads are for, right? Now it's my turn to say it- give yourself a break! Think how wonderful you are for sacrificing to stay home with them EVERY day. I know that has an influence, and they'll remember that more than any game you played with them for any amount of time!

Anonymous said...

At least I am not the only one with such thoughts racing through my head every day trying to focus on my children! I love the quote though. I need to blow it up and paste it to my wall to remind me of what I should be doing!

Jana said...

Yeah, that's the reason I put it on my blog, too. I'm going to print it out and hang it up so I can try to live by it. I mean, it's nice to have a clean house, too...I wish playing with my kids was my real excuse for not cleaning my house! Try, "I was watching Millionaire," or "I was reading" or "I was editing pictures" or "I don't even remember what I spent all my time doing...anyway. Remember when we couldn't clean our houses because everyone thought it was fashionable to just live in a cave full of mud and dirt, and the dirtier you were, the cooler you were because it meant that you were busy hunting and gathering berries?