First off, I'd like to attribute the name to Emily. One of her sisters called her this one day. And this is why I feel more inclined to share. I know I'm not alone.
So every week the Sunday beast arrives in me. The bipolar Jen presents herself. I don't know why, and how to make it go away or what it wants. I've tried to simply feed it chocolate, but it is not appeased. I wake up Sunday morning ready to have a peaceful, wonderful Sunday.
I will get ready before all of the children have even awaken. I will have a hot breakfast on the table. As they come down the stairs there will be music playing. They'll enter the kitchen and I'll smile, wipe my hands on my apron and kiss them softly on the forehead. They'll...all 5 of them, calmly make their way to the table, even though Chase can't walk, he'll somehow crawl down the stairs- because after all, I do have the most talented kids alive. They'll eat peacefully, complimenting my meal, and take their dishes to the dishwasher and load them. Then tinker upstairs and get dressed for church in the clothes I ironed and set out for them the night before. After they're dressed, (and I didn't even have to ask them to) I'll fix their hair in cute braids like the polygamists ...OK, so I wouldn't do that, but it'll be one of those amazing hair do's off the internet. Then we'll all sit down and read while we wait for 10:45 to come, hoping Jasper is enjoying his short meetings as much as I am being with our perfect children. We'll quietly get in the car and drive to church. Arriving no later than 10:50. Our bench will behave with utmost respect and reverence. Then home to eat the dinner I already put in the crock pot before church. We'll enjoy the rest of the day clothing the naked and visiting the sick. It's perfect. You get the idea.
This is more like it:
The kids get up. I stayed up too late on Saturday night. They come to the side of my bed where I'm still sleeping, "mom, can we have sugar cereal?" "No, That's only for Saturday, you know that." "but moooooom, please please please" "No sweetie, please don't ask me again" "But Maddie got way more than me"
My day has begun.
They all get their own cereal. I don't know if they actually ate the sugar cereal or not. I get in the shower. But before I do, I yell down for them to all get dressed when they're done eating. I get out. No body is dressed. Dominoes scatter the entire living room floor, and a fort has been made. I help them all get dressed. What should take 5 minutes, take 25. The boys keep asking WHY they HAVE to tuck IN their shirts? Tanner wants to just wear flip flops. It's January.
Chase is crawling around finding all possible choking hazards to insert in his mouth.
I try doing the girls hair in a cute braid, the non-polygamist kind, "I don't like that" the nine year old will say. " OK, then what do you like? "I don't care, just do what you want". Alrighty then....moving on to the boys. "I want a mohawk!" "We don't wear mohawks to church". You get the idea.
Chase takes a nap everyday at 9:30. It's Sunday, so he'll decide to just cry for 45 minutes instead of sleeping. The decibels in my house are substantially rising. I find Taelyn under the table with stolen candy.
We're late for church. somehow what takes 30 minutes to get the kids ready for school, takes 2.5 hours to get ready for church. I wish Jasper were home. I feel guilty for wishing this. Not much time for our reading and reflecting. I don't eat at all. I have mascara on only one eye. I yell at everyone to get the car. I don't put coats on anyone. I forget the snacks because I have gone back to put mascara on the other eye. Oh, and then I remember deodorant. Thank goodness. I almost forget baby Chase. I get him up. He's pooped all up his back. Time to find new clothes. Oh, what's that? No clean clothes? Laundry day in on Monday. I dig something out.
On the way to church Tanner informs me he has a talk today in Primary. No body actually got buckled, except Madeline. Jaren and Tan are in the back turned around pretending to drive a spaceship. They've already asked to ride in the very very back. Got turned down. I look in my rear view mirror and see Chases huge smiling face. I have forgotten to buckle him. He's wiggled and squirmed, turned around and stood up in his car seat. This makes me laugh. Luckily it's only a mile drive to church and we're almost there.
Everyone gets out. We're barely on time! It's a miracle! Time to sit. It's been 5 minutes. "I'm bored" I hear. "I'm hungry" "I'm thirsty" "Can I go sit with Savannah?" "I want to sit with Paige!" "I never get to sit with friends" Tanner cocks his scripture gun and turns around, aiming at all the old people behind us. Jasper busts out the gum.
Peace at last, they all go to primary. I sometimes make it class. I sometimes walk the halls with Chasey face. Which, truly I don't mind. I've made some dear friends this way. We head home. With out Jasper.
Now up to this point, my day has actually been quite successful. For me anyway.
The kids change their clothes into their pj's. It's a Sunday thing. They love it. Go downstairs and have to clean up the breakfast dishes. I get everyone a snack, at least 2 kids don't want what I fix. Things are looking OK still.
Then BAM, something over takes me. All of a sudden everything bugs me, the pantry that isn't organized. And hasn't been for a month. It makes me crazy. It's the weirdest thing. Really and truly, it's like horrible PMS that just hits on Sunday afternoon. Even if I've been really spiritually uplifted at church. It's like my bad mood just kicks in and I feel so helpless. And it's way worse than a normal 'bad mood'. It's almost like I'm on the verge of a meltdown. I can't cope with anything. Sometimes I take a quick nap and that helps. Jasper is so good, he cleans up after everyone and totally helps. Just stays far far away from me. :) He's a smart man.
So....what is going on? Why does this happen? I don't ACTUALLY have those perfection expectations. Not after having more than one child. :) But who knows, maybe deep down that is why. Maybe I secretly wish things would go perfect. Jasper says maybe it makes me crazy trying not to do house work on Sundays. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I (and Emily) just a freak? Just to warn you, if you'd like to say I'm a freak, just don't say it on Sunday. You may not be alive Monday morning. :)
Even sweet Maddie has noticed my bipolarness. Last night when I was putting her to bed she said to me, "mom, just try really hard not to yell at us tomorrow. When you feel like you want to, just hold your anger in and say...Maddie, will you please do this for me? and I will!" Ya, how precious is she? I need some Sunday meds.
Needless to say, this is our life. Most days our life runs like this. I'm not ashamed. It's life. Granted I do have bits of madness daily. But not like on Sundays. I actually don't mind Sunday mornings, or church for that matter, it's AFTER church when the chaos has somewhat subsided that my crazy kicks in. I don't feel like I need to change our routine or anything, I feel good about that. It's not perfect, but it works for us. It's the aftermath of the spiritual high that's just plain weird.
On this note...
I Thought when I got married I had learned it all, now I was to simply multiply and replenish the earth and impart all my wisdom to my posterity. Oh, how wrong I was.






32 comments:
I'm the same way. But it seems like I'm like that EVERY day. Ugh.
Church is just stressful; at least it is for me. Enough for me to not want to go most of the time. But I do, because I'm supposed to, I guess. But it's getting really difficult for me, enough that it's something I'm noticing and kind of concerned about.
Sunday would just be so much nicer if we could just stay home...
Sounds eerily familiar. Church was canceled today for us, due to our monster storm of 4 inches. It truly was a day of rest. Best Sunday I have had in a while.
I have felt that way before Mer. Going anywhere and needing your children to be well behaved is tricky. But I do know that I've been so so blessed for always going even if I'm in the hall for 2 of the 3 hours. :)
Oh man Jen, I laughed through that whole sunday description.
My crazy comes out on sundays, but only sunday mornings while getting ready. This morning I screamed at josh 3 different times for fairly minor offenses.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who yells at the kids, but I wish I knew how to fix it. My lightbulb moment today was deciding to have josh and missy write sentences over and over about the things they're going to work on as a punishment. Not that I'm sure that punishments are what I need. Sometimes I think maybe I just need to let things go more. Like maybe when I'm so mad that I know I'm going to yell at them, I should just not try to confront the situation at all. But if I do that sometimes, and then other times I can calmly deal with it, doesn't that make me inconsistent? They'll think they can get away with it?
Anyway. Your sunday afternoon crazies are a mystery to me, but I bet if you sat down and like, "free-wrote" for a while (just type whatever comes to mind), you'd figure it out. Maybe Jasper's right and you feel the need to clean. I think it's okay to do as much cleaning as you need to keep you sane.
I hate that feeling, it's like you know you're being a monster, but you just can't stop!
Totally normal :)
That's all I can say. I wish I had some amazing advice, but you probably know SO much more than me.
I do know you are an amazing mom though. You are just human, you are a human amazing mom :)
My guess is that it really is an "inner expectation" that's not being accomplished. The feeling that sunday SHOULD be restful and peaceful and you SHOULD be able to put into practice all the spiritual commitments you've re-made each Sunday. But instead it's just like a normal day; it doesn't feel restful or more spiritual at all! Or maybe you're ready for your kids to go back to school after the weekend.
My crazy used to come out on Sundays, mostly in the mornings...and then I got on my meds that fixed my hormones, lol.
I sure hate that angry morning feeling where it takes at least twice as long as usual to get ready and you're mad your husband is at meeting. It tells me that my hubs will never be the prophet, b/c Pres Monson says his wife has never complained about him going to church meetings. Poor Jeff, I'm holding him back...
I'm glad we're not the only family that has uber-stressful Sunday mornings. Today right as we got in the car to leave for church Caeden asks "Mom, why do you and dad yell? Jesus would never yell." We both felt pretty guilty.....but I'm sure next Sunday we'll be back to high volume again. If you figure it out, let me in on your secret!
I remember yelling at my kids..then they grew up and left home and I didn't yell anymore. It's been nice. NOW I know it was part of life and my goal was to do the best I could every day. I wish I had loved myself more - been kinder to myself, more understanding. No one was looking over my shoulder to see how I measured up. I was just to be the mom to seven kids and do the best I could every day.
When I REALLY felt I needed to make a "change for the better" I thought about it backwards and forwards to see if it made sense and was reasonable.
Like Sunday bags only used on Sundays. First up, dressed, and doing necessary things before anyone (except the baby) woke up. Tabernacle choir music played while everyone dresses. Having kids choose out their clothes for Sunday when you put them to bed after their baths on Saturday night. Have sugar cereal for Sunday breakfast - it's fast and everyone likes it. Add in one or two "spiritual" things you have talked about in FHE as a family and see how they work.
Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be at church, hopefully happily, but there! Parents Don't Give Up. They KEEP TRYING!! You CAN do it. When you're eighty you'll be glad you did!!
Ruth Ann...
Thanks! I do have a sunday bag, and music on, and i do have the kids pick out clothes the night before. It's that get out of bed before the kids thing....it kills me!
But I've always been a little like this. It's like the storm AFTER the calm. Soooo weird. I feel a little attacked after any uplifting spiritual experiences. It's very bizarre!
But it really happens Jen!!! Truly it does!! Perhaps it is because we've finished being spiritual... I always found it hard to have FHE on Sunday nights. I just couldn't get myself to do more church stuff. I hope you can find a solution. I love you.
Aunt Ruth Ann
I think it is because we have in our mind that Sundays are suppose to be restful...so we try to rest in between the craziness. In the meantime our house goes to pot which makes us irritable. My house always gets the most trashed on Sunday. Why or Why.
Love the blog.. by the way. :)
This is one of the most entertaining and real blog posts I've read. I just love the way you write because it's like I can picture every little detail from the dominoes to the stole candy, to your fun little dream about music and hot breakfast and your apron. You are an AMAZING mother, and you've got some of the most beautiful kiddos I've ever seen. I've always looked up to you for that, and I always will. Because you're just so real about stuff and you don't act like it's all butterflies and roses, ya know? :)
Oh my GOSH! Jen! You are stinkin' hysterical. You had me rolling with laughter. I soooo can relate!!! I need some meds for my bipolar personality as well. I still need to name mine though. ;)
Freak!!!
Just kidding. I just want to see if you'll really come over and try to strangle me because I have some chocolate cupcakes here and Greg is working and I would love to chat with you (you know...before the strangling occurs).
I've come to the conclusion that we should embrace it. I figure we've got several more years of Bipolar Sundays (and it doesn't look like our husbands are getting out of those all-day-Sunday-meetings any time soon). I was thinking today, during our class on "Motherhood", that this whole mothering experience has a lot to do with the principle of Endure to the End. Sometimes, some days, some periods of our life have a lot to do with enduring and plowing through when we don't feel like it and trying our best to pick ourselves up and try again.
I love you to pieces! I loved Ruth Ann's comment about loving ourselves more. I'm horrible at it, but I think she's right. You make me a better mom a better friend and a better person - just because I know you. "You...complete...me." (Just don't tell my husband. For some reason, he thinks that he completes me.)
Also, I have learned that the height of wisdom is 18 years old - High School Graduation Day. I knew EVERYTHING at that age - about anything! It's so funny that the more we live and the more we experience, the more we realize that the less we know. I'm coming to the conclusion that life is more about adapting then planning. Some days, I do better. (Those days aren't generally Sundays.)
I sooo needed to laugh out loud tonight, thank you Jen. Becoming a mother definitely brings out the crazy in me I thought I had grown out of. Hahaha! I too thought it would be blissful and wonderful every day. I do love it but sometimes it takes work for me to love it.
I feel your pain girlie. I actually miss 9:00 am church now that I'm at 11. I didn't have time to yell or get mad at my kids we just had to go as fast as possible. Now I always think I have all this extra time while the hubby is gone at meetings and I end up rushing, yelling and never eating which makes me double mean :)
Today my ward had ward conference and the Stake Pres talked about how many young families we have in our ward and that even though it isn't hard we were in the right place. So I keep holding out that no matter how hard it is right now either my kids or I will be blessed in the long run for being obedient and going even though I heard 20% of the messages yesterday.
Just know that you aren't alone and that no-one is judging you (or if they are they suck!). Love you girl!
i'm right there with you! Only you have probably already tried all of the ideas i'm just coming up with for my little family:)
Thanks for all of your comments.
I actually don't mind Sunday mornings, or church for that matter. it's AFTER church when the chaos has somewhat subsided that my crazy kicks in. I don't feel like I need to change our routine or anything, I feel good about that. It's not perfect, but it works for us. It's the aftermath of the spiritual high....it's just plain strange. :)
Totally with you. A little advice? WEAR EARPLUGS.
Here's my scenario: I ALWAYS stay up too late on Saturday night. Like 2 a.m. sometimes because, let's face it, I love the quietness and alone/couple time. And I have no discipline.
I am pretty happy Sunday morning, getting kids ready, and even stay patient during church. THIS, I think, totally contributes to my meltdown later. When I want to wring the kid's neck as they break every reverence rule and completely ignore my pleadings, the only thing I CAN do is smile a lovely, sisterly manner.
After a late lunch (we have 11-2), hubs and I want to take a nap. "Kids, kindly stay in the basement and BE QUIET," is the only request. WE put in earplugs and zonk. 25 minutes later, McQUeen is at my bedside and Babe is screaming hysterically. I have just fallen asleep and this is when I go BIPOLAR.
Nuts.
Crazy.
I always feel bad later, but I am not proud to say that yesterday the kids were wide-eyed over my tantrum.
So, I don't really always do it, but yesterday I did. You are not the only one with once/week Bipolarism.
Think there are meds for our condition?
PS I loved Ruth Ann's comments. I adore the advice of those who have been there-done that. Means the world to us young mamas!
Jacqui,
I LOVE THAT!! I think you totally hit it on the head! Thanks for all your insight!
LOVE YOU
And amen to what you said about Ruth Ann. It's good to hear that.
Jen, can I just tell you that this post made me feel soooo good! You are the funniest. I don't think it's called bipolar...I think it's called motherhood :). I'm happy to say that after years of getting the kids to church by myself, it's Kevin's turn to get them ready and on time at 9 am. (You should see the girl's hair!!!)
I stinkin love you! that is the best story of my life! The only day of the week i constantly swear is Sunday. Go figure! ... and I only have 2 kids. YIKES!
Thanks Jen for this post. It made me feel a little more "normal". I always enjoy your posts and always learn something from reading it and all the comments. I just look at all the chaos and take a deep breath. By the way, we had ward conf. this past Sun. and your dad had to read all the names in for confirmation. It was so funny, He called Natalie..Nathan Naomi Campbell as the beehives 2nd councelor..just thought you could tease him for butchering 1/2 the names on the list!
I Love it! Jen you just have a way of saying things-the good & the bad!..
I honestly feel that Satan tries EXTRA hard on Sundays to bring contention into our homes...and unfortunately he is often successful at my house. The same happens on the days I try and go to the Temple...and I just have to realize that it's because he doesn't want us there. But he loses!...even though it's craziness& yelling getting there, we still showed up so there-We win!
I laughed when you said Jasper cleans up and stays away from you...sometimes that's what happens here at our house too. I need a few minutes of deep breaths, chocolate & good peaceful music. Thanks for your thoughts. :)
I have Bipolar "Everydays." I especially have "episodes" of craziness after attending the temple. I'm there feeling on top of the world and like my problems are so SMALL. We leave smiling and holding hands...and shortly we're arguing over something and everyone's upset. It makes me feel awful. Sometimes it happens before we go and we aren't in the right spirit. That's Satan for ya. He does what he can to spoil things and make you feel like your efforts are useless. BTW I DO have those expectations and I'm not even a mother yet! I have fantasies of how great my life should be and how perfectly I should do everything and get so upset when life is just average and everything doesn't happen how I want it to. I call it the "downward spiral." All of a sudden everything bites and nothing goes right and there's no point in trying...blah blah blah. Don't do it! Most people aren't perfect, the last time I checked. Things happen. Most plans don't work out. We scew up. That's why we're here-to do our best and learn along the way.
We meet from 1:30 - 4:30. Maybe you should switch to this time. Then there isn't much time for bipolarness after church so the kids will just get it for a few hours and then off to bed!!! We did meet at 3:00 to 6:00 a few years ago. Maybe you should find a ward that meets at that time!!! Just call me anytime you need a problem solved!!!!
I've always been blue-sy on Sunday nights, even before I got married. Something about heading back to school or work, perhaps. It's the end of that one day when you're fortified with many, many spiritual activities. And you're standing at the edge of another week, not quite ready to do battle. Or, maybe it really is just sleep deprivation. I can't go to bed early on Saturday nights either.
Jen-this was an awesome post. I am the EXACT same way. I feel like I have this split personality sometime and it's like-where'd the scary lady come from? And I can't talk myself out of it no matter how hard I try.
Just a perspective. Some of us WISH our husbands were in meetings all day instead of just not going to church period. Just sayin'.
Love ya girl.
Jennifer! I cannot even begin to count how many Sundays I have felt this same exact way. I just attribute it to Satan. For real.
I don't know how I missed this post earlier! If it was me, I'd say that having plans and goals and things to do all morning makes it hard to shut down and not be driven after church. I'll bet Jasper's right about you going nuts because you can't clean. Feeling like you need to do something, something you do all the time without even really focusing on it because it's habit, but not being able to do it can be like having an unscratchable itch. A couple weeks ago in church we had a lesson about Mary and Martha. Honestly that story bothers me, but I'm the one trying to get dinner on the table while everyone's having fun. It's so hard to let go and pay attention to the moment instead of thinking of the million things that need to be done.
I never did understand why my family tried to do FHE on Sunday instead of Monday.
Post a Comment