Saturday, March 13, 2010

Touch.


It was a Sunday. I was 5, maybe 6. We had relatives over. I was in my room, sad. Wanting attention. I was sitting on the bottom bunk, crying. My parents and aunt Bonnie were in the dining room at the table. I cried louder. And louder until someone heard me. Bonnie came in, asked me what was wrong. "I don't know" I kept saying over and over. She had me on her lap. I remember this like it was yesterday. "Well I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong" she said. She had a point. But I didn't want to tell her what was really wrong. Because nothing was wrong. I just wanted a hug...from my mom. I wanted her in that room with her arms around me, squeezing the sadness away. Eventually Bonnie gave up and left my small bedroom. A few minutes later, my mom came in...scooped me up and held me. And I was fine.


I get a little choked up just thinking about that moment. Feeling are time travelers you know. That was me. That still is me.

Amazing what the human touch will do. I find now that I'm a mom I don't feel like I need that as much as I did when I was a child. And I forget that my children need it- long for it. There's something about being held The pressure of a tight hug. The softness of my moms skin, hearing her soft muffled voice through her chest as I lay against her. The safety. It's powerful, a moms love and touch. They're fond fond memories. I still get that feeling when I hug my mom today. Now I can create those same feeling for my own children. Feelings of safety, love, like nothing else matters. To a child, nothing else does matter. What an amazing gift. I must remember this. I must give this. I will try harder.


14 comments:

Danae said...

That is a touching post. Thank you for reminding me of one more thing to do for and with my kids. It is easy with the little ones, the bigger ones don't seem to want too many hugs. At least, they don't say it out loud.

Jana said...

Today Emma sat on my lap in the rocking chair and told her she loves my snuggles because I'm so soft and cuddly. She said she might fall asleep right there as I rocked. It was so cute to have a 7-year-old on my lap, and reminded me of that same thing...kids NEED their mom's hugs!! And ever night she wants me or Jeff to lay by her in bed. I remember that too. How special it was for mom to come in and lay by us.

C'est La Vie said...

oh so true. i still find myself calling my mom to tell her something that she really can't do anything about, but i want to her comforting voice, even if it's just over the phone. but her hugs are SO much better

Robyn said...

You are so cute and such a good mom. I need to remember this too! Thanks, Jen!

LeMira said...

There's just something about MOM. Personally, I'm a person that needs a hug everyday. I feel safe, loved, and needed. Luckily, Matt is okay with that. Jackson is now on the kick that he only wants it when he wants it, but I give it to him anyway. :)

A day in the life of the Campbell's said...

sweet

Bethany said...

this was so good for me to read. I am not a touchy person at all and I have a few really touchy kids! it sort of drives me crazy and I need to remember that sometimes they just need it. thanks!

Jackie said...

Ok....I won't complain anymore when Claire wants me to lay with her every night until she falls asleep. I need to cherish that time more because it doesn't last long.

C'est La Vie said...

ok i THINK I FIGURED IT ALL OUT
it's driving me NUTS though, i'm just letting everyone know it's a new URL and hopefully that works out, i can't change it back again bc i keep losing more stuff every time

Lindsay said...

THANK YOU for this, I needed to hear this today.

Love you.

Michelle Arnett said...

Interesting how you gave me the touch I needed just a few weeks ago by holding my head in your lap while I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. I, personally think you are really really good at this. Thank you for giving me the reassuring touch I needed that awful Day. Love you Jen Jen.
Shelly G.

Mrs. Blimes said...

Hi! I found your blog a while ago and find it so uplifting! Thank you for this post, I needed it today!

Marquesas

Andrea said...

I am a touchy-feely kind of person. I would hug everyone but people think that's weird. I used to get made fun of in elementary school for hugging my friends, and I think that's sad. My family was very close and we hugged a lot, so I thought that was normal. There is nothing better than a hug from a family member, a husband, or a friend; especially when you really need it!

Melissa Bosen said...

I don't have those kind of memories. My mom was not much of a hugger...but in her defense, I was not much of a needer of it.
Funny how I feel sorry for myself about it now though.
Thank you for reminding me to be there for my boys....if THEY need it. :)