
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. This is a MUST read. I can't even describe to you how amazing this book was. It's about a brave christian woman who because a militant heroine of the anti-Nazi underground. She was put in prison and concentration camps, and through it all kept a firm belief in God and Jesus Christ. She had numerous spiritual experiences that have strengthened me immensely. She was able to teach the gospel to hundreds during her time in the camps. Her attitude was simply fascinating. She was a TRUE christian woman. Here are a few- of the hundreds of fabulous quotes that I loved from the book-
When she was very young she asked her father about a sexsin, this was his reply:
"He turned and looked at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case and set it on the floor. "Will you carry if off the train, Corrie?" he said. I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts. "It's too heavy" I said. "Yes" he said. "And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger you can bear it. For now you must trust me to Cary it for you."
This next quote happened after Corrie had seen the death of a small baby. This is her father again:
"Corrie, when you and I go to Amsterdam= when do I give you your ticket?" I sniffed and considered this. "Why, just before we get on the train." "Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need- just in time."
Finally this next bit is after she had been released from the concentration camp for hiding and helping so many Jews. She is speaking all over the country and happens to meet a guard who been a guard for her and her sister. He had been in the crowd listening to her speak of forgiveness and Christ suffering so that everyone could be forgiven. He approaches her afterwards and reaches out to shake her hand when she realizes who is was:
"I who had preached so often to the people the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side. Even as the angry vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man' was I going to ask for more? Love, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him. I tried to smile, I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or Charity. And so again I breathed a silent prayer. I cannot forgive him. Give me Your forgiveness. As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. For my shoulder along my arm and thought my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me.
And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His. When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself."
I could write several more...it was an amazing, educating, inspiring, and insightful book. If ever I feel that my life is too hard, I will read this again and again. Then will I realize, again, how blessed I am. And yet, how blessed she was to have had the opportunity to learn and experience God.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
The Hiding Place
Posted by
Jen-ben
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
Jen, I can't wait to read it. I love the quote about how God gives us the strength when it's our turn to die. I read it when I flipped through your book at the cabin. I've thought a lot about that. I believe that He gives us strength at the moments that we need it the most throughout our life. I think that is where faith comes in. We have faith and trust, and He blesses us when we need it - on His terms.
I also love the first quote, about how this wise father teaches his child about when and what is appropriate for children to know. There are people in my life right now that I love so dearly that are questioning the how's and why's of "God." I often think that we are like little children in our Heavenly Father's eyes. I believe that He has given us the knowledge that we need right now. Like Corrie, perhaps we will receive additional knowledge when we are stronger and we can bear it or understand it.
I don't know...Good thoughts. Thanks for getting me to think tonight. (Sorry that I rambled on and on.)
Jen,it's been too long. Thanks for the invite to your blog. I'm not a huge blogger, but I love reading yours. It was because of you telling me I could do it that I made a blog about my brother who was tragically killed last month. So that quote really spoke to me...I hope that I can look into my heart and find the strength I need, just in time. Thanks Jen. Tell Jasper hi for me. He looks the same as he did on the mish, except for the booger he's growing on his chin...ha ha.
I've had this book for YEARS and never read it. Now it's next on my list!! Thanks!
Post a Comment