Saturday, August 11, 2007

Dora, Backpacks and "Glittering"


So I'm at Wal-Mart (yes the store I absolutely despise) and Maddie and I are looking at backpacks for school. I say, Madeline, you have that Dora backpack that you didn't even use this year, why don't you use that! And so she replies, No way Mom, then everybody will think I like Dora! The fact that she now does not like Dora was news to me. It brought back this memory I have of 2nd grade when I was standing a line for who knows what at school and kids started talking about Sesame Steet and how it was such a dumb show and so naturally I chimed in saying I didn't like it either. Yet, I loved secretly Sesame Street =). Isn't it crazy how all of a sudden kids start to want to fit in and like what everybody else likes? I wonder if there's anyway around that? I want to make sure that my kids know that if they like something then it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. But I can see that's going to be tricky.
Well, then we went to leave Wal-Mart and I couldn't find my keys anywhere. I lost them in that giant mother of a store. I hate that.
This morning I took Maddie to get her hair cut, after we came out she had a sucker wrapper in her hand. She turned to me as we were walking to the car and said "If you throw your trash on the ground that's called glittering." I thought it was so cute, I didn't correct her. Glittering....how adorable is my child?!

Check Out Blinkyou.com for thousands of custom glitters and layouts

3 comments:

Brian and Kim said...

It's amazing how much school changes your kids. I've heard that this happens again when they go to Jr High. My friend said that her daughter came home from the 1st day of school and decided she needed a whole new wardrobe.

Jen said...

Hey Jen, It is Jen.
I am so glad I found another Wal-Mart hater!!!! Everyone thinks I am crazy and un-american! At least I am in good company! hahaha
My oldest goes to school in a week, I am just waiting for all his little gems he will bring home.

Emily said...

Jen, I despise Wal-Mart. I only go before 10 a.m., I always have a list so I can get out of there as fast as possible, and I take as few kids as possible. But...I'm lured in my the low prices. So I guess I shouldn't complain.

I love the Glittering comment - I think I'll call it that from now on. When I was a Nanny, we lived on the beach during the summer. Every evening, we would walk down the beach picking up trash. I told the kids that we didn't want to be litter bugs. After a couple of weeks, my 5-year-old said, "What do litter bugs look like? You keep talking about them, and I just can't see them." I obviously should have called it "glittering."