I will admit, I have had less time to blog, but really...how long does blogging take? Not that much time. It seems Facebook has taken over some of my blogging needs. Sad. I know. I love to blog, it's such a perfect journal. Michelle and Emily were at my house tonight and Michelle told me I'm a slacker at blogging lately. OK, so really not those words. But I started to think of how lucky I am to have such a wonderful plethora of friends. I feel so blessed. When we moved here, I hated it. I kept waiting for someone to knock on my door and tell me they wanted to be my friend. I guess I thought that's how it should work in Utah. All these mormons everywhere. Where was my plate of cookies, my homemade bread and jam, or green jell-o with carrots (eww)? Months passed, and that never happened. I got sadder and sadder. Church was OK, but I just couldn't seem to connect with anyone....except my dear friend Kim who really embraced me right away. Thanks Kim! But I still felt like I didn't "fit in". I thought that by moving to Utah I'd have a great welcoming committee. But honestly, I have been in 6 wards in 9 years- the ones outside of Utah were sadly always more aware of the new people. I wonder if it's because we all clung to each other. When someone new would move in, everyone was excited. Anyhow...that's a large generalization, and I'm sure it's not totally true. But it is my experience. Moving on....I was sitting in Relief Society one Sunday- they asked if anyone was new. A girl sitting next to me leaned over and whispered, "Aren't you knew?" I turned to hear and said "no, I've been here 5 months". It was my breaking point, I burst into a full out cry. I was in the back of the room seriously sobbing. Like, really sobbing, people kept looking back at me. But I wasn't brave enough to get up and walk out of the room. I blame it partially on being 3 months pregnant at the time. But I was so sad. I had been there for months and still I felt like nobody had noticed me (except Kim). It was a really hard time for me. I'm the type of person who NEEDS people, I need friends. Good ones. After my mature outburst at church it dawned on me that I needed to be the one to go out and meet people. I'd just been waiting around. I wanted to be approached instead of the one approaching. In my ward previous I'd known almost all the women. I loved them...I had made a goal in the ward to try and meet someone knew every Sunday. It was fabulous. Finally I got brave and did the same in my new ward. I started talking to people. And guess what, they weren't mean to me. What was I so afraid of? I mean, really, I'd never ever tried speaking to someone and had a bad experience. No one ever said, "No, I don't want to be your friend you freak". But yet it took me almost 6 months to finally take control and start being myself.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Friends...
At this point, I'm really babbling. I now love love love my ward, my neighborhood and my dear friends. It's now probably my very favorite ward and neighborhood. Many times I have to remind myself that now that I'm comfortable, I need to go out of my way to look for those who were like me....feeling totally alone and wanting more than anything to be spoken to. To be noticed. To be loved. To be needed. Why does it seem harder to make friends as we get older? We get so caught up in our everyday lives and routines, it's not habit to look around and see who may need a kind word. So...I'm going to again challenge myself to meet a new person each week. To look for someone who needs to be noticed.
Anyone else want to join me? :)
Posted by
Jen-ben
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






18 comments:
Great thoughts, well said.
It's funny how it can be hard both ways...even scary to say hi to the new people. I mean, for me that's easier because you know they must need friends, but I don't know why it's hard for me to get up the motivation to meet new people, since it's always so rewarding! Weird. I would join you in the quest but as you know, that's a little harder when you're in primary to do anything other than controlling the chaos, so...maybe I'll see if I can meet a new person each month!
Jen- so sorry that you felt that way when moving here. I remember you sitting by me in RS and introducing yourself. But- you know me...I'm shy and quiet and keep to myself. It took me a long time to make friends too. I'm so glad that you did move to our ward and that you are my friend. Thank you for your outgoing personality and your smiles and your ability to make everyone feel welcome.
Jen, you sought me out thanks to Swendy. I am so grateful that you knocked on my door and insisted that Calvin come to your house and play which I had never allowed. You've always accepted him and his energy freely and lovingly. Your family has been such a blessing to us. Love you!!
First I have to say THANKYOU for posting again! Second, amen to all that you said. Third, I would LOVE to join you. It seems that I learn this lesson everytime I move to a new ward. I have been in 4 wards since we got married, and everytime, I come to the same realization that I have to be the one to take the initiaitve to meet people. I think there are a LOT of people who wait to be met, rather than being the meeter. I try to sit by someone new in RS at least 2 times a months. I also had the thought, "Where's my home made bread and jam?" when we first moved in. Then I thought, "How many times have I made bread and jam and taken it to a new neighbor?" The answer was NEVER! So, I should be better about that too. I could at least make cookies, since they are around my house regularly! It's nice to finally be comfortable in my ward. It seems to take a good couple of years to feel totally comfortable. I never knew this about you Jen. I never knew it was a hard adjustment, you make friends with such ease. I'm glad I'm not the only one! Loves.
Michelle
One more thing, I don't know why it's so scary to introduce ourselves and become friends w/someone. . . I have never felt offended when someone introduced themselves to me! I just need to remember that!
So sorry that you felt that way. My excuse was Primary. Now that I'm out, I look around RS and wonder who all these people are. You simply get stuck in a bubble in Primary and don't even recognize who is new and who is old. Plus, the Sunday exhaustion from Primary. Excuses...Excuses
It is very hard for me to make new friends. Partially because I think I come off as someone totally different than who I am (although it isn't my intention). I have people tell me all the time that they think I'm kind of snooty and very "Molly Mormon-ish." I think I have developed a complex. Excuses...Excuses
Time to throw aside all excuses: You are absolutely right about reaching out to those who need someone. How many talks were about that in conference this weekend? It seems like a major theme was dealing with adversity, and how we need to serve one another to help. Thanks for your thoughts. It's nice to have you back.
I'm TOTALLY with you. I've been in my ward for TWO years now & a lady came up to me a couple of weeks ago, introduced herself & asked if I was new, I felt bad for her & tried to make her not feel so bad, but I guess it's my fault too, I haven't been out meeting everyone either. I have a really hard time with that, but I'll join in your quest!
I try to be outgoing and welcome a new face when I see one.. sometimes I get a good response and other times I get a cold reply but hey... I try. thanks for your post and your new babe is gorgeous!
You are such an example to me right now Jen! Thank you.
First of all I can't imagine you waiting to be approached :) Growing up my mom would always get sad if no one talked to her at church...but I always asked her who she talked to? So whenever I feel like I have no friends at church I have to tell myself that I need to get out of my comfort zone and talk to people. It is hard when your the new person but that's what callings are for I have meet so many people in our ward because of the great callings I've been given. I love your idea and need to be better at getting to know some of the new people.
It's so very interesting that you wrote about this right now when this is my current experience. Actually, for me, I have felt that this ward has been the most welcoming we've ever moved into. Of course, this is my fourth ward in Utah since being married. We did have someone bring brownies, but so many more people just came up to us in church and introduced themselves. The only problem is now trying to remember everyone!
Also, I think that's one reason why I've been "homesick." I, like you, need people; and I need people close to me. I think I might be a leach. ;) I know I will adjust because I have to. I will do my best to get to introduce myself.
First off.... beautiful babe! He is definitely a Fauset. I love that new baby newness and smell. It makes you want to kiss him all over. I appreciate your words on being that "new" person in the ward. We have had that a lot with our moving every few years. We just moved to our current ward in October and have made a couple friends. I loved the talk given today in conference addressing this topic. I can't remember who gave it but he talked about going to church for other people instead of ourselves. I have felt that way for quite some time. The Savior didn't come to earth to serve his own purpose. He came for the people... us. The sole purpose of visiting teaching and home teaching is to teach this concept. Service.... feed his sheep. Sorry about the soap box! I am not the best at this either. I want to be better and it is hard. I am not the type of person who just walks up to somebody and says hello. But thinking about it... why can't I start? I accept your challenge! People here I come!
I'm so so so sorry that you felt that way when you first moved here! I loved you the moment I met you- even if it was 6 months after you moved in and were called to Primary (I have to copy Emily's excuse at not meeting you sooner). I was actually surprised to read this, because it seemed that you moved in and were instantly the most "popular" girl in the ward! It just goes to show- you never know what struggles someone might be experiencing. I've always admired your ability to make friends so quickly and to connect with people, and maybe you're like that partly as a result of this experience. Even though I don't live in the ward any more, I'm glad I'm still close enough to see you.
I have found so many times that I need to be the friend that I want to have. I've wondered before, why hasn't this or that person called to invite me or my kids over? Is there something wrong with me? Then I realize I haven't called them either. Somebody always has to make the first move! Thanks for the reminder to reach out!
Hi, I'm Tera and I feel guilty. I was probably the RS pres. when you moved in? I don't have an excuse, except that I feel the same way. It is really hard for me to meet new people. I felt the same way in my new ward.
I'm sorry you felt that way. Maybe we can all remember that when a new person moves in. We all love you Jen, how's this for a random comment?
SHUSH!!!!
Ok, I'm not kidding... were you inspired to write this? Because I think you wrote it just for me! It is such a simple concept, but I needed someone to say "Erin, get off your bum, and go be yourself, and be nice, and ask questions, and make some friends!" I've lived in Thatcher for 10 LOOOOONG months. It's been hard. Very very hard. It's like Utah... so many mormons that they really don't notice anyone new. Sad. Thank you so much for writing your story! I'm not kidding, I needed it. Bad.
You? Not have friends? I think you have more friends than anyone I know! And who wouldn't want to be your friend? I was the same way when I moved into my ward, no one would talk to me and I sat all alone at an enrichment one night and after when they had refreshments I just went and hid in the bathroom! I was sad. I'm exactly like you - I need people! I NEED friends! And I am so happy that I have gotten to know you and I can call you my friend.
This all reminds me of a conference talk yesterday by Dallin H. Oaks where he gave a quote by someone who said they no longer go to church for themselves, to see what they can get out of it - but for others, to lift others, meet others, help others. All I can say is, you must be in tune!
Hah! You're asking me? I'm the queen of waiting for people to approach me...been trying to work on that lately...
Post a Comment