I was so touched by Elder Hollands talk. It was so amazing. I don't think I have ever thought that extensively about the Savior's experience during the atonement, especially in that light. We hear so much about how Christ and Heavenly Father will never abandon us or leave us alone, but this is the first time I think I have heard someone express the importance of US not leaving Christ alone, and to never let him feel such an agonizing loneliness as he experienced his last few moments of mortality. This talk has helped me think about the Atonement on a more personal level, and come to appreciate it even more. I am so grateful for His sacrifice.
I'm so sad- I was traveling all day and missed both sessions, but yesterdays sessions were so wonderful- I loved Elder Scott's talk- so personal, among many others.
The spirit was so strong in the conference center during Elder Holland's talk. The atonement seemed so easy to understand.
Also, Pres. Monson's last story was so utterly depressing about the mother having to bury all four of her children that his point about all we need is bright faith to get through the hard times was very poignant, I thought.
I think everyone agrees... Elder Hollands talk was MORE than inspired! I loved it. Elder Bednar also said something that really hit me when he said (something like), don't be the casual temple goer who rushes through a temple session here and there. We need to be faithful temple WORSHIPERS. The way you veiw your temple service makes all the difference.
I'm going to copy you and ask the same question on my blog. I love to hear the responses!
I loved the prophet's comment about how our "future is as bright as our faith"! What comforting words at times like these! I always love Elder Holland's talks. He is so inspired and SO SINCERE.
I especially loved the part where Elder Nelson said that public prayers should be short and sweet, not an unintended sermon, or a summary of every talk. I can definitely follow that council 100%!
Seriously, I just feel so edified by the entire experience. I, too, always find such faith and wisdom in Elder Holland's talks, and today was no different. There were so many talks and stories that spoke to my soul that I would write forever. Overall, I was extremely touched as every speaker bore such strong, solemn testimony about our Savior, and specifically the Atonement. Those testimonies just seemed so powerful during this session of conference. There were several moments that I was touched with emotion as I felt the reality of their testimonies.
I also thought the theme of adversity was very interesting. There are just so many different ways in which people suffer and experience pain in this life. We just never know what is going on in people's lives. I loved the call to have more faith, find joy in the journey, and serve each other.
I love it when the choir sings Primary songs because my kids ears perk up a bit when they recognize a song. And there are a few songs that I have difficulty getting through without emotion, and "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" is one of them. I just feel so much love and gratitude for our prophet. It makes me want to be so much better and do so much more.
1st talk, Hales, really loved it! Provident Provider...Joyfully living within our means. Just being happy with what you have and not wishing you had more to the point of incurring too much debt. I also loved Pres. Monson's story of the woman who lost everything and was still happy and valiant. Next time I want to complain about anything I'll think of her.
Elder Holland has such a way of making you feel like he loves us all so much and understand everyone's hardships...he gets you crying before he even gets into the talk! But when he got into talking about the Lord's withdrawal when he was on the cross, it was so amazing and made so much sense. I was completely riveted that whole talk. And like Erin said, Elder Bednar's comment about how we attend the temple really hit be between the eyes. Jeff and I looked and each other with sheepish looks..."uh, he's talking about us..." It was all so awesome! I also loved when the choir sang the primary song "This is My Beloved Son"...it's such a great song and Emma paid attention to that part!
I absolutely loved conference - every bit of it. I think I'll follow your example and post on my blog too :)
The part that hit me the most was Pres. Monson's talk about the mother and her children. It hit so close to home since my family mirrors hers exactly (girl 3, boy 7, boy 5 and infant girl) it totally hit me and I couldn't hold back the tears. Then when they showed those pictures of the prophet during the closing song I just felt so much love for him.
I can't wait until I get my Ensign so I can read each talk over and over again.
My favorite was Elder Scott's talk. Being so far from a temple I was able to relate to so much of what he said. And as we're in the midst of our own trial his counsel to not ask "Why" but "What am I to learn" was especially needed.
I just think it's awesome how much conference always seems to be directed so personally to all of us. Reading other's comments about how it seemed like certain talks were just for them, describes how i felt as well. But being as our family just suffered a very fresh loss, i was overwhelmed & fascinated with how many talks and inferences there were about people losing infants and children - and then one of the songs from the funeral was even sang. It's like they knew my family needed to hear all those words and messages at this tough time. I just think they are all such amazing and inspiring men & it breaks my heart that the whole world doesn't know about the gospel & have this light!!
PS - i guess that's why there were several of them who also strongly reiterated how important it is for all of us to be better member missionaries & bring the gospel to our neighbors and friends. I'm so scared to do that, yet at the same time, i've had this nagging inside of me for the past several months about one of my neighbors. I wonder if i can have the strength and courage to let her know about my beliefs. that kind of stuff is just so tough for me for some reason.
Nope- conference wasn't amazing. Didn't like any of it. LOL Just kidding...just wanted to get your attention. :-) I loved the talks on temples. I was sure to turn the tv up real loud so that Spence would hear every word. :-)
all I kept thinking about was how they kept talking about kids dying. i'm sure it's just since this just happened in my family. i thought it was kind of sad. i liked that nobody really talked about food storage or debt like you would have expected during this economic time, but they talked about faith, being happy, and going to the temple. i also really enjoyed elder holland's talk and really like it when the GA talk about a scriptural story in such detail. I was completely attentive during that whole talk and can't say that about many of the talks!
"You make a living by what you get, you make life by what you give."
Out of the mouths of babes
5/11 Tae: "My dad is bigger than my mom and my mom is mini-er than my dad"
5/11 Tae: "Don't coffee me!!!" she and paige seem to think the word for copy is actually coffee.
05/11 Tae: After going in the front yard after me telling her not to.. " oh mom, I accidentally thought the front was the back"
03/09: Maddie: " Why do we have to pay taxes? Why do they have to have laws...like pay your taxes? Or don't stand on swivel chairs?" Ha ha!!
12/08: Tanner: "mom, don't pick your nose and throw it on the ground or you will slip on it like a banana peel. So you have to put it on a picture, or a high shelf"
Tae 3/09: Today she was looking for little scab on her hand and noticed it was gone. So she said "Mom, my owie went home!"
2/09 Maddie: Kimi is eating a burger, Mad hates red meat. "Mmmm, that looks good" Me: "But you don't even like hamburgers!" Maddie: "But if it were the only food left on earth, I'd pound it."
12/08 Tanner: "Mom, when can we get out our bean stocks?" I realized he was talking about Christmas Stockings. :)
11/08 I'm in the bathroom, alone. But never really alone. Maddie comes to the door and says "mom what was your best moment?" Uh, can we talk about this later?
11/08 Tanner: "Mom, is my bones warm or hot?" later that day..."I wish our house was made of nachos." Ya, me too.
10/08 Me" Well Maddie when I was little I only got a quarter or 50 cents for a tooth" Maddie" Ya, well that was in the OLDEN DAYS mom! The tooth fairy hardly had any money then."
9/08 Tan:" Mom, when you have the new baby, will we sell Taelyn?"
01/08 Maddie: "Guess what Mom, when I lose my front tooth the tooth fairy brings me $20" What?? Who said that? "A girl in my class! I'm so excited to get my very own $20!"
10/07 Madeline: "Mom I remember what it was like to live with Jesus before I was born" Oh really? "Ya, it looked just like it does here, but it was on clouds."
09/07 Tanner: "Mom sometimes your mean to me, but Sister Castleberry (nursery teacher) is always nice to me...like this many times ( he holds up his little 5 fingers right in my face)" How cute is he??
Just the other day Madeline came to me after practicing some intricate dance moves with Jaren and said "Mom, I just wish I could marry Jaren because he dances with me, he does whatever I say, and he's such a gooood guy. Why can't I marry my brother? " I then explained just why we don't marry our siblings. Hopefully she'll have no problem finding a guy just like Jaren in 20 years.
"Shake your bootie, shake your bootie..." This goes along with a mooning of sorts by the 3 yr. old Tanner
“Do you wish you were Dad so you wouldn’t have to change Taelyn’s diaper or do all the work, and you could be at church on time?” -Maddie
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.
The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.
If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward.
I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in every culture, is the story of Popeye.
When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges.
To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.
Probably the earliest flyswatters were nothing more than some sort of striking surface attached to the end of a long stick.
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
I love my family, practical jokes, laughing, people who say it like it is, meeting new people, and long walks on the beach...hahaha. I hate being late, mustard, and tours of any kind.
16 comments:
I was so touched by Elder Hollands talk. It was so amazing. I don't think I have ever thought that extensively about the Savior's experience during the atonement, especially in that light. We hear so much about how Christ and Heavenly Father will never abandon us or leave us alone, but this is the first time I think I have heard someone express the importance of US not leaving Christ alone, and to never let him feel such an agonizing loneliness as he experienced his last few moments of mortality. This talk has helped me think about the Atonement on a more personal level, and come to appreciate it even more. I am so grateful for His sacrifice.
I'm so sad- I was traveling all day and missed both sessions, but yesterdays sessions were so wonderful- I loved Elder Scott's talk- so personal, among many others.
I too loved loved loved Elder Hollands talk. It was my favorite this session.
The spirit was so strong in the conference center during Elder Holland's talk. The atonement seemed so easy to understand.
Also, Pres. Monson's last story was so utterly depressing about the mother having to bury all four of her children that his point about all we need is bright faith to get through the hard times was very poignant, I thought.
I think everyone agrees... Elder Hollands talk was MORE than inspired! I loved it. Elder Bednar also said something that really hit me when he said (something like), don't be the casual temple goer who rushes through a temple session here and there. We need to be faithful temple WORSHIPERS. The way you veiw your temple service makes all the difference.
I'm going to copy you and ask the same question on my blog. I love to hear the responses!
I loved the prophet's comment about how our "future is as bright as our faith"! What comforting words at times like these! I always love Elder Holland's talks. He is so inspired and SO SINCERE.
I especially loved the part where Elder Nelson said that public prayers should be short and sweet, not an unintended sermon, or a summary of every talk. I can definitely follow that council 100%!
Seriously, I just feel so edified by the entire experience. I, too, always find such faith and wisdom in Elder Holland's talks, and today was no different. There were so many talks and stories that spoke to my soul that I would write forever. Overall, I was extremely touched as every speaker bore such strong, solemn testimony about our Savior, and specifically the Atonement. Those testimonies just seemed so powerful during this session of conference. There were several moments that I was touched with emotion as I felt the reality of their testimonies.
I also thought the theme of adversity was very interesting. There are just so many different ways in which people suffer and experience pain in this life. We just never know what is going on in people's lives. I loved the call to have more faith, find joy in the journey, and serve each other.
I love it when the choir sings Primary songs because my kids ears perk up a bit when they recognize a song. And there are a few songs that I have difficulty getting through without emotion, and "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" is one of them. I just feel so much love and gratitude for our prophet. It makes me want to be so much better and do so much more.
What were your favorite moments?
1st talk, Hales, really loved it! Provident Provider...Joyfully living within our means. Just being happy with what you have and not wishing you had more to the point of incurring too much debt. I also loved Pres. Monson's story of the woman who lost everything and was still happy and valiant. Next time I want to complain about anything I'll think of her.
Elder Holland has such a way of making you feel like he loves us all so much and understand everyone's hardships...he gets you crying before he even gets into the talk! But when he got into talking about the Lord's withdrawal when he was on the cross, it was so amazing and made so much sense. I was completely riveted that whole talk. And like Erin said, Elder Bednar's comment about how we attend the temple really hit be between the eyes. Jeff and I looked and each other with sheepish looks..."uh, he's talking about us..."
It was all so awesome! I also loved when the choir sang the primary song "This is My Beloved Son"...it's such a great song and Emma paid attention to that part!
I absolutely loved conference - every bit of it. I think I'll follow your example and post on my blog too :)
The part that hit me the most was Pres. Monson's talk about the mother and her children. It hit so close to home since my family mirrors hers exactly (girl 3, boy 7, boy 5 and infant girl) it totally hit me and I couldn't hold back the tears. Then when they showed those pictures of the prophet during the closing song I just felt so much love for him.
I can't wait until I get my Ensign so I can read each talk over and over again.
My favorite was Elder Scott's talk. Being so far from a temple I was able to relate to so much of what he said. And as we're in the midst of our own trial his counsel to not ask "Why" but "What am I to learn" was especially needed.
I just think it's awesome how much conference always seems to be directed so personally to all of us. Reading other's comments about how it seemed like certain talks were just for them, describes how i felt as well. But being as our family just suffered a very fresh loss, i was overwhelmed & fascinated with how many talks and inferences there were about people losing infants and children - and then one of the songs from the funeral was even sang. It's like they knew my family needed to hear all those words and messages at this tough time. I just think they are all such amazing and inspiring men & it breaks my heart that the whole world doesn't know about the gospel & have this light!!
PS - i guess that's why there were several of them who also strongly reiterated how important it is for all of us to be better member missionaries & bring the gospel to our neighbors and friends. I'm so scared to do that, yet at the same time, i've had this nagging inside of me for the past several months about one of my neighbors. I wonder if i can have the strength and courage to let her know about my beliefs. that kind of stuff is just so tough for me for some reason.
Elder Hales talk on provident living.
Nope- conference wasn't amazing. Didn't like any of it. LOL Just kidding...just wanted to get your attention. :-) I loved the talks on temples. I was sure to turn the tv up real loud so that Spence would hear every word. :-)
all I kept thinking about was how they kept talking about kids dying. i'm sure it's just since this just happened in my family. i thought it was kind of sad. i liked that nobody really talked about food storage or debt like you would have expected during this economic time, but they talked about faith, being happy, and going to the temple. i also really enjoyed elder holland's talk and really like it when the GA talk about a scriptural story in such detail. I was completely attentive during that whole talk and can't say that about many of the talks!
Post a Comment