I would love to know what you do for Easter...what are your traditions? Do you do the whole Easter Bunny thing? I've heard some people say that they tell their kids there is no such thing because they feel it takes away from the meaning of Easter. I really want to get some new ideas. And I'm still debating when to do the whole easter basket thing...Sat. or Sun? Please share!
On another note, I'd like to pat myself on the back for posting 3 times in like 4 days. It actually feels really good. My little Tae has been not been taking naps anymore...then she got sick and really needed a nap. The last week she's been better, but putting herself down for naps. She's just the sweetest girl. I found her like this today:
Granted she completely peed all over all of her bedding. She's been potty training. It's taking a while, mostly because I'm so lazy about it. It's funny because the thing that has worked the very best is when I tell her how happy she makes me when she goes in the toilet. So now whenever she goes, she'll come tell me "I make you soooo happy mom!". Then today she came in the bathroom when I was peeing...lets face it, they think I have an open door policy when it comes to bathroom privacy. So after I peed, she looks at me and says "You make me so happy!! You peed!!" Then gave me a giant hug. Hilarious.






20 comments:
This year I've decided to stray from the traditions I grew up with. We are going to do a Family Easter Basket. On Easter Morning, sitting on the table will be an Easter basket full of candy as well as the DVDs "To This End Was I Born" and the Old Testament scripture stories. I will also leave a note from either the Easter Bunny or just from Mom and Dad reminding us to be grateful for Jesus this Easter season. I haven't decided if I want to keep the Easter Bunny going, but if I do, he will center his gifts around Christ. There has to be candy in the basket because we all love the Easter candy!
Also, after church that day, we will take a family trek up to the cemetery where Clarissa is born and lay flowers on her grave and take pictures and talk about resurrection. We do this every year.
I can't remember the last time I closed the door to the bathroom! How hilarious you made her happy! What a fun age!
I am going to keep any Easter Bunny or Easter Egg Hunt stuff, including Easter Baskets for Saturday. Then Sunday will be more about Christ & I have a few Hand-me-down books from my Grandma about Easter to put in the basket. I am also giving pajamas...lame but both kids need new ones & it will be fun for summer. I think I will hide everything (even the pajamas & books) so Polly can hunt for it all. Much more fun than just waking up to a basket filled with treats! I don't know if I will always do it this way, but with only one kid old enough to hunt for candy, it will be pretty low-key.
My Mom got us a book called "a Christ Centered Easter" and we do that! It really makes this whole week special! We don't go "all the way" and do NO easter bunny stuff. We do what we call a spring egg hunt on Saturday and have candy and baskets that day! That way they kinda get the best of both worlds but we still keep Sunday very special as well as most of the week leading up to it;)
That is so hilarious! How stinking cute!
Next time she comes to play she's not leaving ever again ;) She is darling!!
No wonder they look always look like angels when they are sleeping. She is such a sweet girl!
We are also doing "A Christ-Centered Easter" this year. As I was listening to Conference, I felt very strongly that I needed to teach my children better about this most important event in history. We learned about Palm Sunday and about Christ cleansing the temple. We are basically following in His footsteps and reliving the last week before the Resurrection. I thought it would be WAY over their heads, but I guess this is why we receive revelation. Amazingly, we have never had more quiet, reverent, attentive Family Home Evenings (we'll see if that continues during the week). After tonight, Macy even said, "You did a good job tonight. I liked Family Home Evening, even though I never liked it before."
I can't decide about the Easter Bunny on Sunday. I like the idea of calling it a Spring Day (or something) on Saturday. Last year, I hid their baskets and they followed a treasure hunt with all sorts of different pictures of Christ. I just cut them out of old Ensign's and Friend Magazines with the clues on the back. That way, they are exposed to Christ as they search. I can't give it up completely - Easter candy is my favorite of the entire year. Besides, I've already bought all the candy and baskets and I am giving new beach towels this year (because somehow our old ones all disappeared last summer - who knows). We'll see.
I'm all about the Easter basket on Sunday morning. It was tradition in our family for years. To be completely transparent with you, I must admit that I still made my parents hide my basket for me when I came home from, yes, COLLEGE! LOL! Now that I have Jacob, it's his turn for the fun, but since he's not yet a year old and not allowed to have chocolate, I am gladly accepting his chocolate candies on this glorious upcoming Sunday:)
I am writing under John's sign in, so the comment under "John said" above, really came from Katie:)
You make me sooo happy! YOu peed!!! I love you!!! Love MoM
I too am trying to start some Easter traditions. I am so iffy on the whole Easter bunny thing. . . really, it's kind of weird when you think about it. I think we will do easter baskets on Saturday, and maybe a special easter lesson or something on Sunday? I'm not sure. I'll post what we end up doing. I'm kindof a throw it together at the last minute kind of gal. i work best that way. :)
It makes me really happy when you go in the big girl potty, too. Remember when you didn't know that that's what most people did, and you wore depends until I told you that most 29-year-olds don't do that?
I think we usually do easter baskets on Saturday so it doesn't get confused with the Sunday true meaning of Easter. It's like Christmas though, where I don't really know what to do. I have studiously avoided telling Emma that there is an easter bunny or that santa claus is real; I really don't want to actually promote either. Recenly she's come right out and asked me, and I've just asked her what she thinks. She's said she thinks they're real and I just said okay. But later she pressed the issue so I just told her that they're things that you decide to believe in or not.
I'd like to find something to actually DO on Sunday that focuses on Christ though, something to replace the other stuff if we're doing it on Saturday instead of Sunday. I'll have to check out the Christ-Centered Easter that a couple other people mentioned.
That picture of Tae looks so much like Sophie! How funny that she puts herself down for naps. right on.
oh goodness she's a funny girl! :) i love her!
i proud of you for peeing too jen.
Ok- but that picture of Tae is so cute! And I think all mom's have given up peeing in private. :-)
As for Easter- I did baskets on Saturday last year and loved it. It's just too hard before church. I was just asking Claire this morning if she knew the true meaning of Easter. I got the easter bunny hiding baskets answer. So I definitely need to do better! I will always do easter baskets and easter bunny. I think that once you start- you can't just take it away. That would be confusing.... If you come up with any good ideas- let me know. I like Emily's treasure hunt idea. Might have to do that.
i love it when you can see your efforts turned toward you through your kids!
my mom always gave us a book that she picked out special for us and she wrote a special message. that is the one tradition we really had and the only thing i have been good about carrying through with my kids.
We've never really done the easter bunny thing -we've hunted for eggs at the grandparents -but as far as easter baskets full of huge gifts...nope. We're doing an easter egg hunt on Saturday...Sunday is all about the Savior. I like the idea of going through the week and recounting the events that took place during Christ's last week and really celebrating the resurrection on Sunday.
Happy Easter!
I didn't have time to read all the comments, so maybe someone's already mentioned this...
There's a book at Deseret Book called "A Christ-Centered Easter" by Janet and Joe Hales. I picked it up today because I was having the same feelings...exactly. I have them every year.
This book is amazing. It maps out a celebration of Easter for the entire 8 days--Palm Sunday to EAster Sunday. Things to do, make, eat, scriptures, tradition ideas. One thing I like already is the idea that they dye eggs, have a hunt, get candy, etc. on the first day of Spring. Then it's still fun, but it's done and over with and they can focus on Christ being the reason for Easter instead.
My parents did the egg hunt on Saturday, dinner on Sunday growing up. It was great, and I'm glad they left the Sabbath unhindered by chocolate bunnies, but I still don't think it was enough of a celebration of Christ's resurrection. Someone recently commented to me that it really bothers them that as a church we don't have an Easter program, and more of a celebration, like we do at Christmas. If anyone should, we should,because of our strong beliefs in Christ.
So we're trying that this year, even though we're two days into it. Next year, we're doing the whole week! WOO!
That is classic - who ever knew something so simple could make her happy!
This is our first Easter with Kaylee, so we'll see what we do. I'm thinking we'll do a little Easter basket. Probably fill some plastic eggs with Cheerios or pacifiers or something. :)
We usually spend the day before Easter with one of our families and the day of Easter with the other family.
Love the pictures and of course I too have been told "I'm so proud of you mom" for going pee. :)
As for Easter I have issues with the Easter Bunny I just can't do it. My kids get baskets on Sunday with very little candy a book about Christ and a few new things for their church bag. We die and hide eggs and have fun - but we don't focus on that and I never talk about the bunny.
One year Tayson was saying the prayer on Easter Sunday and he said "Please bless us all to die....long pause....so we can be resurrected to live with Jesus." It was hilarious but also made me so proud that he understood the true meaning of Easter.
Post a Comment