Monday, December 17, 2007

Help!

OK, so I've decided I hate my kitchen cabinets enough to finally do something about them. I'm going to attempt to paint them. So...I can't decide if I should do black or this cool green. Either way I'm painting my kitchen a different color- maybe tan- adding hardware, and hopefully changing out the appliances to stainless. So what thinkest you??? Any prefrence? I love the fresh look of the green, but I am also a black lover. Just nervous of such a dark color showing every little fingerprint...which will undoubtedly be hundreds... :) If I did the black I'd distress them slightly. I also love how they've taken the doors off of some of the cabinets in this first one: OR should I do a cream color?? See the cabinets as they are now click Here
Black is so rich and appealing to me....isn't it so pretty! Of course my kitchen looks nothing like this...but still...


OK, so what do YOU think??? Am I crazy for even thinking I can do this?

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do it! Go with color, black might be to dark, or not if you really like black! Do you have to sand all of them first? Or can you just paint them? I love your comments on my blog they always make me laugh!

Matt and Lisa said...

I like the black. I have a lot of black furniture in my house and I am always drawn to clean, crisp look of black.
Lisa

Andrea said...

I love love love black. I have a lot of black in my house and think it looks ultra-chic and modern. I like it best when you have black appliances but it might look ok if they're white. I think it would be pretty with your counters.

Christine said...

maybe you could use photoshop on the pics of your kitchen to make them black and see how it'll look! I think it'd look good. And you can totally paint them, they do it on those decorating shows all the time!

Jen-ben said...

Krista...it's quite the process. Remove the doors and hinges, then you clean them, then use a deglosser on them, then sand them, always using tack cloth afterwards, then primer, then paint. I'm exhausted just typing all of that. I found a site that tells you step by step how to do it.

LeMira said...

I like the green the best, but if you do stainless steel appliances, then I think black looks better.

Theresa said...

I pick black. I really like the black distressed look. I really like the look of some of the cabinet doors in glass, too. I want to replace some of my cabinet doors with that textured glass - its kind of opaque - hard to explain. I did have a problem with making the distressed parts of my entertainment center not turn gray - make sure you get good paint.

Theresa said...

Oh, and I think black would be a good contrast to your new countertops.

Brian and Kim said...

I'm in for black. You should also do the same to your fireplace. It's so close to your kitchen. Just a thought.

tiffunny said...

Looks like the consensus is black. I agree black would look best with your counters. I've always had a love of that pale sagey green color though and I really wanted to paint my kitchen that color. My brother (who's quite design oriented) convinced me to stick with the red I was choosing between because green was a more drab color and would mute out my kitchen alot. But those green cabinets look great. I guess it just depends on how much contrast you want in your kitchen. If you want it to be subdued and calm then have tan walls and light green cabs. But more contrast would be the light walls with a dark cabinet. I'm sure i was so helpful to you - i'm not known for being decisive!

Jamelle Kelly said...

GREEN!!

Michelle Arnett said...

I love the black. . . it would look sooo good with your new countertops. Loves

Mel said...

I think green would be fun and different, but my vote goes for distressed black because it would look classy. Your house is so darn cute!

Sarah Welsh said...

Do what you want, because if you paint them & hate the color you can just paint them again.

A word of warning, black, like white shows EVERYTHING, but paint is easy to clean.

Also I HAD stainless steel appliances in my last house, we got black this time, stainless is a HUGE pain to have with kids, it shows EVERY fingerprint & can scratch if they put things like toy cars on them & drive them up & down the fridge.

Just something to consider.

Colette said...

I think the Green would look awesome! You could distress the green I've seen it done it looks good. I've heard that black makes things look smaller.

Lindsay said...

I think black, it's neutral and you might get sick of the green. My friend had green cabinets, she hated them, she now has black! My other friend just did her cabinets creamy with the brown stain on them, they look awesome, but that may not be the look you're going for, but if you're interested let me know.

Angie said...

WARNING: This has the possibility of making you go COMPLETELY INSANE!!! I did this once, yes ONCE. I swore up and down the whole time, hated every minute of it and promised myself I'd save the money to replace them before I would EVER attempt this again. If you decide to do this and wish your life would end rather than have to finish such an awful project I do have some advice...
First, label the cabinets and the hardware so that when put them back you know where they go and you don't drive yourself crazy trying to make them fit in the wrong place.
Second, when you sand, clean, prime, and then paint them and are waiting for them to dry (which by the way takes FOREVER before they don't smudge or smear or dent) make sure they are in a place that does get any ventilation or if it does make sure it does not have any dust in it.
Third, DO NOT USE OIL BASED HIGH GLOSS ENAMEL PAINT even if you think it will look beautiful, IT WILL NOT.
Fourth, realize that this will completely take over your life until it is finished, your kitchen will look like a complete mess because you will see everything, and you may dream of burning down your house just so you can have the insurance company fix it instead of you.

If you don't believe me, ask my friend Jana. I tried to warn her.

paige said...

Wow, everyone says black! I really like the green. We have green counter tops & it looks great with stainless. I don't know, but it's making me hate my boring wooden cupboards, too! Too much of a process for me, but good luck!

Andrea said...

I didn't read all the way through your post...I love black and stainless so if you want to go that direction, black would be awesome. Especially with a neutral tan. I love that color combination. As for green or cream, I think it would make your house look more country-ish so it depends on which style you're going for.

Sandy said...

I have to go with Black too. I think they will look great with your countertops. Not that the green wouldn't, but I think in the long run you won't get sick of the black as quickly as you might with green. If you go with black appliances get ones with a textured surface. Ours are glossy and they show everything and scratch if the kids play with there magnet toys on them!! NOT COOL!!

Aaron said...

Jen, I am all for doing it yourself to save a buck but I think that you should hire someone to do the painting of the doors. You could probably do the actual cabinets yourself but if you hire out the doors it will look tons more professional and save you a bit of money too. If you go for the gusto and do it ALL yourself, you are the total BOMB. BTW--my vote is for black.

Jen-ben said...

Ok, now you've officially freaked me out! I do NOT want this to be a disaster....has anyone done it that's had a goood experience? Or friends that have??? Come on!

sara said...

Hey Jen! YES, I have had a friend do it recently and she did black - go here and scroll down - she shows the before and after:
http://codyandbritt.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

It's hard to say what to do, since I don't really know what the rest of your house looks like. But here is my 2 cents.
You have white appliances now, but are wanting to get stainless eventually (which I think are BEAUTIFUL - but could be a nightmare with sticky kiddo fingers) I think the GREEN cabinets would look better with your current white appliances, and would also look really good w/new stainless ones.(as your picture shows) I also think creme would be super cute as well - But I'm kinda taking you for a 'black' person. When you weigh your decision, just think of what you can live with until the next kitchen remodel (or new home) and what will outlive the trends! (I vote cream) :)

sara said...

hmm - that 'link' looks like it got cut off - go to the blog and click on 'june' and scroll down... :)

Amber said...

I have a friend that painted her cabinets TWICE- first from stained to black, then to white. She said it wasn't that hard, especially going to black. Her kitchen is MUCH smaller than yours, though, and she didn't do the insides, which you would have to do if you're leaving some open/ using glass panels. I love the black, but green would go great with your appliances now and stainless later, without buying expensive new ones right away!

Amber said...

black or cream shabbied up a bit! that is my opinion! hire someone to do it! that would be a lot of work!!!!!!! I am just really lazy...........

Meredith said...

Holy crap you have a lot of comments on this!

I like the black; it'd go well with your new countertops. And I love the distressed idea.

MelindaLou said...

Ok that is a tough one Jen. I love them both. I would deffinetly would do some open or glass cab. cause they look awsome. If you go to home depot in the paint section SherwinWillimas sells a cd for like $5 that you can load onto the computer & take digital pics of what you are working on & you can choose any of the pain colors and do it all on the computer to see which you like best. It is kind of fun I used it with Jake's room. (p.s. you are amzing I don't even think I would attempt that, painting the walls are bad enough!)

Anonymous said...

I like the Green.

Jackie said...

I've been thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets also Jen! So if you do it then let me know if it's worth it or not. I don't think I'm up for all the work. I thought about trying a vanity in the bathroom to see how it turned out first....

Kristy said...

I'm in favor of the green! And don't sweat it, I remember my mom painting our kitchen cabinets and they turned out great! You can do it. I liked the comment that said "just pick the color you like, you can always paint them again..."

Rachel Clare said...

Jen, do you realize that you have 31 THIRTY ONE comments on this post? You're like the most loved person ever! (As you deserve to be!)
Seems like the decision is split- half of these folks like green, half black. Black is certainly classy. Green is a little more fun and "cottage-y". I think I'm in favor of the green.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there are 32 opinions on this. so far. You should pay attention to Angie's experienced opinion. Love ya!!!!!