Saturday, September 15, 2007

Motherhood Hormones


So...Taelyn is now 16 months. She has always been a fabulous baby. It was actually a fairly easy transition to have her added to our household, unlike Tanner who was a cried as if he was being paid to do so. I was recently looking through a journal I began on the computer when Tae was about 7 months old. I started to write on the computer because I couldn't get the words out fast enough on paper. I'm pretty emotional after a baby, a good year needs to go by and I need to stop nursing before my hormones really get back to where they should be. Well, I want to share a little bit of my journal. It's something I feel we all as mothers need to talk about more frequently, our downfalls, our frustrations with not being what we think we should. I know I have posted something along these lines before, but it always helps me when I know that every mother struggles. It's sad that I enjoy that, but I do. We all need support. So here is a bit:

"January 19, 2007

For sometime now I’ve wondered if I’m really cut out to be a mom. Wondering if I will ever be able to feel that I’m a “good mom”. The other day Jasper happened to be home at about 2 in the afternoon. The house was a disaster; Taelyn had been crying the majority of the day and wouldn’t let me put her down because she was running a fever. Tanner has just stopped napping in the afternoon and was having his daily breakdown at the old nap time fit, Madeline was complaining about not being able to play with friends, and Jaren was a bit whinier that usual. So all this happened to be going on all at once. One minute I was fine, the next something just snapped inside of me- which is not unusual of me. I couldn’t take it anymore. I felt like any second I would just internally combust...literally. I walked into my bedroom and Jasper asked if he could help me with anything. I said something ridiculous like, just shoot me… he took Taelyn and closed the door softly. This is his way of telling me I can lay down and he’ll take care of everything. So I threw myself on my bed and started to sob, and sob some more. All the while thinking, how can I do this? What am I doing to my children? Why can't I just hold it together and snap out of this, I have so much to be thankful for. I don’t know what was going on with me, maybe hormones. I feel like doing that often, but I’m generally good at holding it in and it passing.
My point to this experience is that after this I had felt prompted to look for this article on LDS.org that remembered seeing a long time ago. In my search efforts, I found an article. It resonated so deeply with me I couldn’t hold back the tears. I completely related to this woman who wrote that article the year I was born. Her talking about not wanting more children because she wouldn't be able to raise them the way she thought the Lord would want them raised. Since acting on that prompting I have been able to read my scriptures in a different light. I read last night about nephi building the ship and I was able to really apply it to me and my life as a mother. It was really incredible. And since I’ve been striving to do things like read and pray EVERY day I have been blessed with sources like friends, the scriptures, BYU TV talks, and the Ensign to truly give me guidance. It’s amazing what answers and solace I’ve received in such a short amount of time. I feel so grateful for this! I want to be a good mom. I want to have patience. I want to love playing with my children for more that 15miutes at a time=). I want to teach them the gospel. I want to do so many things better than what I’m doing. The dumb thing is that I have often been told, I believe, by the spirit what I could do to make my life run smoother. And then I choose not to do them. Such as… to work out and shower before the kids get up in the morning. In this way I’d take time for myself and give myself more time in the day. To enjoy my children more often, to spend less time on the computer when they’re awake. To make my bed every morning, to clean up every night before I go to bed so I don’t wake to endless household chores. The list goes on. I just really need to implement one thing at a time. I’ve finally started to read and pray everyday, instead of every week. And already, I’ve found so much solace in this. Anyway, all in all, I feel like I’m on my mission all over again. Feeling every flaw and weakness that I have so intensely. I suppose that’s how we change. If I didn’t feel this way, I would be quite content in my bad habits. I am grateful for this time in my life.
I must go…Tanner is attempting to dump out the pee from his training potty… Jen

Sunday January 21, 2007

I feel like I’m the verge of some sort of breakdown. This is why I think we should be done having children. I can barely cope with the ones we already have. It’s so frustrating feeling this way. It’s like one minute I feel fine, the next I want to burst inside. It’s like…everything around me is too chaotic for me to deal with. Even the smallest things like dirty dishes in the sink drive me to complete madness, like I'm not myself anymore- over dirty dishes? How could this be? Am I losing my mind?? Or is this just PMS and I’ll be fine next week. I live my life out of guilt sometimes, and this is what I’m so afraid of. Having more children because I feel guilty for not. But I love kids. So much. My children are the best things ever!! I want to do so much better that I feel there’s so much I need to improve on that it’s too overwhelming. Impossible to get to where I’d like to be. My progress stands still.
I just found these quotes from talks on Motherhood that really struck me as for me;
“But don’t you see,” I yearn to say, “that the present, unsavory though it sometimes appears, is in reality most precious and delicious? There is perhaps nothing more delightful than the sound of a little child’s laugh, nothing more earnest than a little child’s inquiry for knowledge, nothing more genuine than a little child’s hug, nothing more pure than a little child’s love, and nothing more sacred than a little child’s trust. Motherhood is not a burden to be borne; it is a privilege to be enjoyed. It is not a trial of endurance; it is a time of celebration.”

“I changed the way I prayed, focusing more on my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I asked Him for guidance more than help, for understanding more than deliverance. I went to the temple as often as I could.”
This is what I need to do."

Now why I have thought so much about these entries I don't know. Maybe because they symbolize months of days like these. Maybe I should feel embarrassed over my unstable moods, but I don't. It was much worse internally that I could write on paper. And yet it came and it went. And I did learn from it. And I am still grateful for those very difficult couple of months. I still go through similar times now and then but not like these. Everyone has hard days. Perhaps I had a touch of postpartum, but I had lots of good days too. So that's that. Sorry this is so eternally long. But I felt prompted....

17 comments:

Meredith said...

All I can say is that I feel like you did back then so often sometimes. And some days I'm scared at what it will be like with three, once this next little guy gets here. I honestly don't know how people do it. And I feel like Eric has such a hard time with it, too. It's tough being parents and I completely agree with all of the stuff you said. Eric and I are working on being more patient with the boys, especially Jackson, and we are already feeling good about it (and it's only been 2 days!)

Anyway, maybe you did have a little bit of postpartum depression or the baby blues, but most likely, you probably were just feeling the normal difficulties and frustrations that mothers do. It's not like you were abandoning or wanting to hurt yourself or your kiddos! One afternoon to lay on the bed and cry is nothing!!!! :)

Rachel Clare said...

Jen, thank you so much for this post. I'm keeping those quotes. And I'd love to know which talks on Motherhood you found. You're right- it DOES help to know that everyone goes through it. I feel like that sometimes, and I only have two! I can't imagine how scattered I'll be when I have four!
Anyway, thanks for your honesty. Those thoughts were reassuring to read.
Rachel

Jen-ben said...

Rachel, the talk was called "When You Feel Inadequate as a Mother" by Claudia T. Goates. There were others similar to it that were also fabulous. I found them all on LDS.org

Sarah Welsh said...

All I can say is...EXACTLY!

Emily said...

Jen,
First of all, I love that picture! I feel like that so much of the time - children hanging off me, leaning on me, all while trying to fix one thing or another with one of them. It is such an honest, doting picture and I love it!

Secondly, I love your honesty! I know exactly what you mean about trying to enjoy this time in our lives. There is nothing that can brighten my day like 3-year-old logic. At the same time, there is nothing so frustrating as 3-year-old logic. I also like it when you say that your feelings were much worse inside your heart and head than what comes out on paper. Sometimes I put a post on my blog and I think, "I wonder if anyone will call social services over this one." Motherhood honesty is something we all desperately NEED! Thanks for sharing. You have amzaing children, and I greatly admire you as a mother!

Man...I am so long-winded! Love you!

Jana said...

Jen, yesterday when I was at your house, you had a couple things going on, helping Kimi and talking to me, but when Tanner came up to you holding two plastic swords, you took one and had a sword fight with him for a minute, and paid attention to it. It struck me because I thought, if I had company and was trying to do something and Emma came up to me and said "pretend you were a prince and want to marry me," I would have been like, "no, maybe later." So I just wanted to mention, that yesterday, I was looking at you thinking, "she is such a good mom, i don't know why she ever says she's inadequate..." and it also made me realize what my definition of a good mom is: a mom who pays attention to her kids when they want the attention, not when it's convenient for her. Probably because that's what I struggle with--tearing myself away from whatever dumb thing I'm doing to take advantage of those moments. I don't do it very often, and I really need to! I love that you put honest, thoughtful things on your blog. It's so inspiring! And also, you're a really good writer when you write about your feelings!

Brian and Kim said...

Jen, I remember when you found the article. It has such a great message. I love your blogs. You are amazing and I feel so lucky to call you my friend. Thanks for lighting my days!!!

AudyCamp said...

**love the post & the pic is great cuz each child is getting some kind of affection from you at the same time-such a Christ like quality.- It's so hard being a mother & it's good to know that everyone goes through these experiences (& hormones). People should just talk about it more! thx jen you're great!

Melissa Bosen said...

Thank you for sharing, Jen. I think that sometimes blogs can be deceiving because we don't share EVERY detail. It's easy to check up on friends and think "she has it easy" or "they don't have this trial or that one". It's good to know what others are going through. It helps bring feelings of hope and peace that trials pass and things get better. You're amazing!
Melissa

manda carol said...

Jen, Thank you so much for this post. With two babies (the oldest being 16 months and the baby being 1 month) it's so nice to know that other people feel the same way. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Angie said...

Funny, I have days like that and I don't even have kids yet!! :-) Am I working to much, focusing on other things besides preparing to be a mother, do I spend enough time on my calling, preparing my food storage, attending the temple, family history work, organizing every needful thing.....and on and on. Do I set a good example for my co-workers or do I just get bogged down and give in to laughing at all the trash that goes on. Why won't God just fix my body so that I can have a baby, He has cured me of cancer, saved my life multiple times when I myself just wanted to die rather than endure the physical pain of being so sick. He saved my husband and dad from a plane accident, I know He could fix my body and I don't feel like it is my lack of faith. I feel my faith is sufficient He just has another plan for me. It's tough though and I think I can understand maybe a little of how you feel. I feel it to, just different circumstances. I love you Jen, hang in there and I think you are a wonderful mom.

Just keep laughing and they will think that this is how its supposed to be. I laugh at myself and pretty soon it is. For example, the day I found out I may not be able to have kids I completely broke down in the truck on the way home. As Steve was driving I sobbed out, "I thought I was normal!" His response was, "Ang, I can count on one finger the number of people I know who pee out of there poo hole." I laughed so hard, snot came flying out all over me. It was a great moment.

I often remind myself that there is a season for everything. This is your season for raising your family, enjoy it, it won't last forever. I love you.

Melissa Bosen said...

Hi Jen,
There is a song by Hillary Weeks that is beautiful and so perfect for ALL women who are struggling to know we are doing enough. It's on her Day of Praise CD and the name of the song is "All the Good". Be careful, it'll make you cry! :)
Melissa

Cinda said...

Jen what was the name of the article I know quite a few people that would benifit from it.
Cinda

Andrea said...

Wow...I was so touched by your post, Jen, and all the others who contributed. I don't have kids yet (like Angie) but I find myself down and wondering if I'm a good enough wife and person. How can my husband love me? Look at all the things I'm doing wrong. I'm an emotional roller coaster; one minute I'm fine and the next minute I'm sobbing. Sometimes I can hardly "keep on trucking" because I get overwhelmed from measuring myself up and feel I'm falling short. I already worry about being a good mother and being able to raise my kids well. I don't share those thoughts or feelings with many people (if at all) because I feel like something must be wrong with me and nobody feels the same way. It's nice to know that we are all HUMAN...we all hurt and get down once in awhile, and that's okay! After awhile you see that our Father in Heaven is there waiting to help us, and He will if we will only ask. A time in your life that is bleak and trying can change to be a spiritual experience and a time of faith and gratitude. Thanks everyone for sharing!

tiffunny said...

It sounds like you were prompted to write this entry just for me!! (okay i guess others liked it too, but I really needed to read this). This is exactly why i missed your blog. Thanks SOOOOO much for inviting me to it again! I feel this way much too often and like you said - i've been prompted as to what i could do to change things and make things better, but i usually choose to ignore them. This inspires me to finally start changing small things one at a time. My family deserves it!

tiffunny said...

PS - i have a blog too if you're interested. I guess its only fair to let you read about my life since i'm reading about yours! :) I don't have your email address though - I'll ask Bethany for it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this with me Jen. I feel like you are inside my brain writing down my feelings. It's always nice to know others have been there. Depression has a way of making you feel so isolated when you don't have to. Anyway, I am so glad you were promted to post this then, and that you shared it with me now. I'm off to read some articles!