I have been thinking, ever since this post about how true my Dad's words were. I keep seeing my little family grow up right before my eyes. It's haunting to me. And yet, joyful at the same time. I am so afraid I will look back at this precious time in my life- the time where we all eat dinner together every night, where the children are all tucked in their warm beds, safe and sound at 8pm, the time where everyone still wants to be cuddled and read to- wishing I had really treasured this time in my life, and lives of my children. They are a riot. Almost every conversation is actually hilarious. They love me. A lot. They need me. Sometimes too much. But I know, one day, I'll wish they needed me more.
The days of looking down my own bench at church and assessing all need in one quick swoop will soon be a fleeting memory. One that I don't want associated with regret.
A few lines I really love from the conference talk given by Julie Beck a few years back:
"Mothers who know build children into future leaders and are the primary examples of what leaders look like. They do not abandon their plan by succumbing to social pressure and worldly models of parenting. These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most."
"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of he world's goods in order to spend more time with their children-more time eating together, working, reading, talking, laughing, singing and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is prepare a rising generation...who will take the gospel to all the world...who will be builders of the Lord's kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power."
That, mothers, IS power. And a very real privilege. I must remind myself always that I am helping my Heavenly Father to raise his children. Children that in the pre earth life were my same age (I'm assuming), children that could have easily been my parents instead of me theirs. Strong, brave, delicate, loving, kind, forgiving, adoring, spirits that I get to look at every day.
"Mothers who know build children into future leaders and are the primary examples of what leaders look like. They do not abandon their plan by succumbing to social pressure and worldly models of parenting. These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most."
"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of he world's goods in order to spend more time with their children-more time eating together, working, reading, talking, laughing, singing and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is prepare a rising generation...who will take the gospel to all the world...who will be builders of the Lord's kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power."
That, mothers, IS power. And a very real privilege. I must remind myself always that I am helping my Heavenly Father to raise his children. Children that in the pre earth life were my same age (I'm assuming), children that could have easily been my parents instead of me theirs. Strong, brave, delicate, loving, kind, forgiving, adoring, spirits that I get to look at every day.
I am blessed.






7 comments:
Ah, thank you for that! The quote from Sister Beck makes me feel good about some of the hard choices I've been trying to make lately....it's SO hard to balance everyone's activities when you want to give your kids all the opportunities you can.
And have I ever told you that your writing is always so beautiful? I love reading your thoughts!! You're such a wise woman.
That's why we sit by you at church - so you can assess all the needs of my family as well. :-)
This reminds me of what Elder Uchtdorf said in conference this past weekend. He was talking about how simplifying takes courage. It's like we were talking the other night, I feel like our evenings are so precious right now. I relish the time that we can actually be together as a family because it is getting so close to the years when my kids will be pulled in a hundred different directions as we get replaced on their social calendar.
Thanks for the reminder. And that picture of Maddie and Tae on the trike is one of my favorite - Of All Time!
Love you and your sweet family. What would I do without you?!? You make me a better person, and definitely a better Mom. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing. Even though conference was this weekend and I again rededicated myself to being better, even a few days later this post is a great reminder!
Jen you are such a thoughtful person. And like Jana said, you do write beautifully. You have a gift for expressing these thoughts that all of us would like to clearly think. It's a great perspective. And yes, two years is a long time in a kids life! I love the pics.
Thanks for that!! How did you know I needed that tonight?
Loves :)
I looked at these pictures of your kids and remembered there was one missing from your blog header...I think..
I love this. And needed to hear it today. May just have to come back and read it daily. OR hourly...
Post a Comment