Sunday, July 25, 2010

Wisdom from a Father...mine.


I recently felt impressed to read through the letters I received on my mission...oh say, 12 years ago. Hard to believe. I flipped open my ginormous binder of letters and was drawn to the ones from my Dad. I had only read 2 or so when I came across this one that I really loved. It was meant for me. But it was meant for me now, much more than 12 years ago. Here's a paragraph from it...

June 26, 1998

"Jen, I was looking at the family photo the other day realizing it was taken less than a year ago. When it was taken, I knew it could be one of the last times we would all be together for a while, but I didn't know then that by now we would be scattered in three states and one foreign country. I saw some little girls running around in the Eugene airport and I felt a wave of nostalgia and a sense of great distance from when we had a bunch of little girls and a little boy. It seemed complicated then. Going out to a movie and arranging for a baby-sitter and worrying while we were gone seemed logistically challenging then. But now I realize there was also a kind of simplicity in having everyone in one car or one house or one row in church at a time. I could scan in a moment the whole scene and satisfy myself that everyone was all right. The problems, if any, were apparent. When someone hurt, they'd cry and there weren't many hurts that couldn't be fixed in ten minutes. In church, a drawing of a rabbit or a girl in a frilly dress would generally take care of restlessness if a couple of jelly beans from a suit coat pocket didn't work. Now, the assessments are difficult. I can't know for sure who's hurting when. And if they're hurting, I can't tickle them out of it. The funny thing is, I remember on more than one occasions, thinking--even knowing-- that I would some day look back on those times as wonderful, but even then I was unable to fully appreciate that chapter of life. And more than anything, I don't think I realized this time would never repeat itself again. It was one shot to make the memories as good as possible. I hope I did a reasonably good job at that. "

He did. I can't tell you how powerfully that paragraph hit me. It's like he knew I'd need these exact words 12 years down the road. Thanks Dad. Love you.

19 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh my gosh I love that!!!!! Your dad is so awesome. What a wonderful letter to get while away, and to read again 12 years later! It's funny how things strike you differently at certain points in your life.

I think I needed to read that, as well. Thank you for sharing!!!!

Emily said...

Oh my...The tears on a Sunday evening...

Beautiful!

The last couple of lines could not be more perfect.
Please tell your dad "Thank You" from me as well.

Memories are tricky little things. Ironically, when I am with my siblings and we are remembering a family vacation or holiday, we tell all the funny stories and favorite parts, and my parents roll their eyes and can't believe we didn't mention the fights or the arguments. I don't remember them. I'm pretty sure we were perfect children all the time. But just in case I'm wrong, and we weren't perfect, my parents kept trying. We continued to go on vacations and other outings, and somehow all the negative disappeared and only the happy moments remain. I hope that will happen with my kids as well.

Anyway...This sure has reminded me the importance that we keep trying.

Jana said...

I've always thought of dad as wise, even though he kind of scoffs when he hears people say that. But he is...he's so observant and thoughtful, and then he puts those ideas into words SO eloquently. I need to remember that! I read it out loud to Jeff. Funny how we feel like this time of life with little kids can be so hard and lasts so long...but it's such a relatively short part of our lives! That imagery of having everybody in one house, one car, one church pew...that really hit me. And don't you remember the rabbit and frilly dress pictures in dad's specific style? I remember those so well!!
Thanks for posting this. What a smartie dad is.

Shauna said...

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing! :-)

Shauna said...

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing! :-)

Jen said...

What a great thing to read as a mommy. I have those feelings all the time. The Spirit whispering
"don't waste this time, don't take it for granted." I know this time is so fleeting but can feel so challenging. It is a time to build a foundation that our children then can build on. What a blessing to have righteous parents to remind us of the important things.

Lora Bonham said...

Wow, Jen. A letter to cherish. And EXACTLY what this mommy needed to hear tonight. Thank you.

A day in the life of the Campbell's said...

so sweet Jen. Loved reading that and your dad is amazing!

Barbara said...

I love your Dad! What an amazing letter. You are so amazing! You are an awesome Mom and I look up to you in so many ways! You have a beautiful family, your kids are adorable! And I cannot believe how big little Chase is!

C'est La Vie said...

that's so sweet. i can hear his voice as i read this

Aislinn said...

thanks for sharing. :)

So so true yet so hard to actually REALIZE.

Ruth said...

How Beautiful, Jen. How wonderful that you have those letters and they were right there when you needed them. Very precious.

LeMira said...

Sometimes, Dads say it best!

Robyn said...

Wow, Jen. Thanks for sharing that. I am been yelling at my kids all morning and this was really what I needed this morning. Thanks to you and to my awesome uncle!

Jackie said...

Ditto to what everyone said...thanks for sharing. Loved your father's words...beautiful.

andrea said...

what a sweetheart of a dad you have. :)

AudyCamp said...

love the insight of that...especially love that picture!

sara said...

That is pretty dang cool.

He really has a way with words. Amazing imagery.

I think I am going to live by: "One shot to make the memories as good as possible"

Angie said...

I read this a few days ago, I keep thinking about it. It's powerful and I really need to be reminded of these things right now. I've always loved your dad, thanks for sharing.