I should be editing....but I don't want to. (pretend you didn't read that Kathy)
SO, I've been thinking a lot about the "blogging world". Mostly because of a post on my friend Mechelle's blog. I used to blog hop a lot, looking at other people blogs and looking at what seemed to be a window into their world- strangers worlds. When ever I go on walks at night I always try to peer into peoples windows if their blinds are up to see how they decorate their houses. It feels a little like that to see others blogs who I don't know. But then I found myself wasting endless amounts of time. Precious time really. So I have since tried not to do that.
I have really loved blogging. I feel like it's given me a journal where I actually get validated. Somewhere where I can say honestly how I feel about something and next thing I know, I'm hearing via comments that someone else has felt that way too.
We've been going through a hard time job wise, it's so stressful, for my husband more than me. I try not to think about it, which is pretty easy because he is so amazing about not bring work home with him. Yesterday, I started to really think about it...and really getting sad, and immediately I thought about this post from almost a year ago. I started remembering all of the things people were going through and how miniscule this is compared to most. At that moment I felt buoyed up, thanks to you who shared your trials- some very private- with me on that post. Thank you, thank you for that.
So the moral of the story is, more than just a journal that I will eventually make into a book, this has been a way to connect with those around me, and get to know you better. It has saved my children's lives many times because I've thought, this will be such a funny post", lightening my reaction to a very messy situation. I'm also very grateful for that (so are my little babes). I used to feel guilty about the time I spent blogging, but I've since changed how much time I spend on it. Making it so much better on my conscience! Motherhood alone holds enough guilt for me, I don't need to add to it. :)
The moral of this post is: how has blogging affected you? Has it helped you in some way? Or do you feel it's just a way for people to brag about their lives -not that that's always bad :) I want my children to read this one day and realize how much I completely ADORE them. Plus, it's always great to write down our blessings! Right? Amen
Loves xoxoxo
Saturday, November 8, 2008
blog shmog
Posted by
Jen-ben
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






25 comments:
Know that you aren't alone in job trouble. We've been going through the ringer for about four years. It has been tough! Some months tougher than others (like no paycheck...ouch), but it's been getting better. I'll send a prayer up to heaven for you. I know how stressful it can be!
PS Love blogging. Such great therapy and journaling. And we would've never connected without it.
I've been thinking about you guys and the job "junk" all week. I'm sorry that you are going through this. It is tough!
I agree with you on all fronts: yes, blogging is addictive and I do spend too much time on it; and yes, I think blogging has definitely enriched my life on so many levels. I still feel a little strange when I "lurk," and yet I've learned so many important lessons and have gained so much hope in reading "strangers" words of wisdom. I'm definitely grateful for it.
I try really hard not to brag, but to really tell it the way it is. In Sunday School lessons, they tell us that we're journalling for posterity. Well, I want posterity to know the truth: I am imperfect, my children are imperfect, and some days are really, really hard, but some days/moments are priceless and I'm grateful for the journey. I love your honesty, and some days all I need to turn it all around is a classic Tanner story or an insightful Maddie quote or a tender Jaren moment or a cute little look on Tae's face. Love you and your family so much!
I have "lurked" around other blogs as well. I enjoy it, but I've mentioned before on mine that sometimes it is depressing because I don't come up with all the crafts or the home decor, blah blah. But I do mine as journaling and like you- it has made me more aware to what my kids say and I remember their comments more. And I love to see my friends' pictures, etc. I think blogging brings people closer together and express their selves more. As you know- I am quiet and shy and keep to myself a lot. It takes me awhile to warm up to people and feel close to them. Blogging has allowed me to open up more. Anyhow...I didn't know things were rough with the job situation. I totally know what you are going through and how stressful it is. With Spence in the mortgage business we have definitely been affected. I just keep thinking that there's something I'm supposed to learn from this trial, right? If you need anything then let me know. Love you!
I have been thinking about that post also. I am sorry you are going through job junk. It will get better. m
I love blogging!
I, too, have spared my children's lives by documenting what they have done. I just think it's a great way to journal, or vent, or to be silly. It's my own little piece of the world. And if people want to share in it, great, if not, that's cool too. More than bragging, I think it's just a way to share what's going on in your life. Of course; there's bragging involved here and there, but also the sharing of the not-so-great things.
And I do the exact same thing when it comes to looking in people's windows when I'm walking or driving by! We're creeps...
Hey Jen! I loved this post. I'm still pretty new to blogging, and our blog started basically as a way keep family updated on Kaylee. But, since then, I've done a lot of blog hopping and discovered the world of "mommy blogging." I'm "secretly" working on a mom blog of my own. It's locked so no one can read it until I do some more work on it. But, I'm so excited because it will give me a place to talk about all the struggles of motherhood/postpartum that I never expected to face, and I hope that it creates a place where other moms can go to realize they're not alone. Just writing the posts for it is pretty freeing.
That all sounds too familar. I have loved blogging mostly for journaling and honestly who doesn't want to brag about their kids. I think we are only human. Sometimes it just makes you feel good to get others responses. I spend way to much time on it as well and am trying to get better about it. When I go to the computer Burklie comes over and pulls me away saying Go Go. Now if that doesn't make me feel guilty! I think it is a good way for us moms to get some sanity back, release some stress.
Totally feel like sometimes we HAVE to brag...hello, we LOVE our children! And it's good to share what we are thankful for!
My motto is if you think someone has a perfect life you obviously don’t know them very well. I like blogs that are honest about the ups and downs of life and especially of motherhood. Growing up in a culture that idealizes motherhood I was shocked by how HARD it is. I have found in other women’s blogs that the isolation, stress, and frustration I have experienced are actually quite common and that has made it a bit easier for me. While it can be a fun way to spy on the lives of old friends and acquaintances I am always amazed at how much I learn about the richness and variety in our experiences.
I was just thinking about blogging the other day. Sometimes we easily spend SO MUCH time on it, right? Is it valuable time? It sounds like it is. I realized that we could easily be spending that time just watching tv. But when we blog and check out our blogging friends' blogs, we are really connecting to reality. Not something fake. You have made so many people stop and think about certain questions and feel for other people's experiences enough to share our own. I love to see my grandkids pictures and stories about them on the blogs. It's such a great way to keep up them. I like these blogging blessings!
there are thoughts and worries that eat away at me for days, weeks, even months and i've always used my journal (now my blog) as a way to put those thoughts and worries somewhere besides my mind. writing things down helps me sort through all the muddle and keep things in perspective.
i voted on your poll. this economy has devestated my family. i have been the sole provider for my family and the market has stripped my ability to earn while being home with my children as i've always done. after a solid year of worrying and sleepless nights, one day it just hit me ... it's just money and although having enough money to make a good life is nice, life is still good without it.
I love blogging. I'm not a blog hopper though. I eat up all the posts from my friends and families blogs, but he few times that I've hopped to blogs of people I don't know, it's just...meh. I'd rather read about people I know.
Actually being able to blog though, has been fabulous. Documenting my kids lives with pictures as well as words and also documenting some of my own feelings and frustrations had been great. It also just gives me some place to write, which I NEED. I work through things by writing them out, It's so hard for me to figure out what I'm thinking if I don't write it out. It's been great to blog and receive other people responses and support.
Sorry about your job stress! Hang in there. Love you.
I LOVE blogging. I love being able to be CONNECTED - especially when so much of our family is scattered across the country. I can feel isolated sometimes & like I'm the only one facing certain problems - and then I go & look at friends blogs & they talk about the same thing!!! It's great to feel like I'm not alone! (Plus I can brag about my kids) :)
I've been having mixed feelings about blogging lately. Of course I love it, but sometimes I think the whole comment thing can be hard because you can't hear people's tones. I'm afraid of hurting people's feelings with comments, or saying the wrong thing, because it's easy to take certain comments the wrong way. Even when we mean to be encouraging and uplifting, sometimes we come off as patronizing. The other thing I wonder is about the new "electronic addiction" phenomenon that's occuring with our generation and the younger generation. I'm not addicted to cell phones and blogging, but sometimes I think I'm close with blogging and email. Am I using it as a crutch instead of interacting in real life?
Anyway, those are some things I've been thinking about with blogging lately. I'm glad mine is private because I always feel weird blog hopping, like I'm intruding, and I'm glad people can't intrude on my blog.
Remember when we first started to use email to communicate with people? I felt like I learned a new side of people who I had known forever when we began exchanging emails. It was a whole new medium, and it was a fun new outlet to help people stay in touch with each other. I feel that way about blogging too. People that I know and love will always be important to me, whether they blog or not, but when they DO blog, it's so fun to be able to see pictures of the them and hear about their daily lives. I LOVE that I can see what's going on with my friends who live a half a world away from me, and that I can laugh about what's going on in my neighbor's house that I never would have known about if they hadn't blogged. I love being a part of my friends lives that way, and I love sharing all the important "stuff" in my life too, b/c my life feels richer when it's being shared.
Jen,
There is a website, blurb.com where you can have your blogs published.
By the way, I love reading your blog. The trials post has changed the way I look at my life.
I love reading your blog. You are my friend but one that I don't see often and I love all your inspiring words. It makes me think that is what I want to be...More inspiring inmy own life and for my friends. I get teased sometimes that this blog stuff is just a mormon thing and my teenager thinks I'm hypicrtical because I won't let her have a "myspace" (dangerous) I am stressed over this economy and my husbands work has drastically changed from tons of work and rolling in the dough to no work and way less spending. ( more worrying if we can pay bills) I used to lurk and look at other blogs but I found it was weird reading other peoples stuff and so now I just check out people I know. I have often thought about giving up my blog, mostly for feeling bad that not many people comment or seem to look at my blog but then I realized it's not for everyone... it's my journal. Thanks for always putting so many thought provoking things on your blog..You're awesome!
Ifer!!
you are an amazing woman, really jen, i look up to you so much. I think i feel the same way about blogging! it he;ps relieve things, but also can hlep others who are going through tthe same thing as you ya know? sitting next to you in relief society was one of the highlights of my sunday! i just love how close to the spirit you are, you inspire me...and i pretty much think your the cutest pregnant lady EVER! ..love you friend. ps. i need to take you on an icecream date. :) deal?
mwah
I'm so sorry about the nasty job thing! I have more than one friend going through the same thing! Clearly, you aren't alone...but that doesn't make it better, I know. I love you and your blog and am grateful for both! Please call on me for anything you might need to ease your stress!
I'm glad you posted this instead of editing my pictures :)
I've been thinking a lot about this too and decided to do a search on lds.org about blogs and found a great article (links on my blog) that helped me realize that blogs can be good not just a waste of time.
I have kept in touch with my family and friends, gotten back in touch with old friends, made new friends and have been lifted and inspired by blogging. Just think I never would have found you without blogs!!!
I think they can be a great journaling tool a great way to keep in touch and I don't stay on blogs that don't make me a better or happier person.
Love ya and can't wait to see the pics! You were so awesome with my kiddos.
You know this all ready, but I will write it for the record. Blogging has been my support in a time of need when I was void of it. Blogging has validated my feelings of despair, frustration, sadness, grief and has somehow bridged the gap of no support to what I feel like is now endless support. What once was so frustrating of not having family support, is so relieving to know that complete strangers care, love and are willing to reach out. Some strangers feel scared to comment on my blog to appear "weird" for following it. I actually feel more love from those who don't even know me. . just that a complete stranger would care so much. I love you Jen! You constantly inspire me in so many ways. . . and yes, I do use it as a brag book too. . .
I love it. I love feeling connected and keeping in touch w/ my friends, and making new friends. It's pretty neat. I used to blog surf when it was all new to me...but those days are over. I pretty much stick to myself or my 'list'. I love posting my life. Sometimes I will look back through my posts and I realize how great I really have it. (Those little moments of 'despair' disappear.) It helps me remember the day to day things that are so easily forgotten...Like how funny my kids are, what LIFE is like and how sweet my husband can be. :) It makes me love him more. I've loved blogging more than journal-ing (and I have TONS) because the picture aspect adds SO much more. I know this is how my posterity is going to CONNECT with me. Pictures speak volumes. More often than not when I am posting I am thinking...they (my boys) are gonna love reading this when they're older, and I am too.
As far as the bragging part...I suppose that's in the eye of the reader. I will take the mantra from Jess. "To each his own." And leave it at that.
I've loved catching up Jen. CONGRATS on the BOY!!! :) My sister just found out she is having another boy when she was SO certain it was a girl too. :)
p.s. Hang in there w/ the job situation! I think it's going to be tough for EVERYONE sooner or later...we will get through it and come out that much stronger, and I suppose appreciate every little thing we have. This economy hasn't effected us drastically yet, but we don't have a huge savings like we used to when I was working full time (before kids). That makes me uneasy...
Thank goodness you have an amazing talent w/ photography...hopefully you will continue to stay busy!
I think the effect of blogging is obvious here on yours because you always get an overwhelming, amazing response from each post. You make us stop, step back, and really think about life. I have seriously been considering deleting my blog, but then I remember how many people look at it for updates and how fun it can be. It's also good to learn about different people and their situations so we can be sensitive to them. I do think, however, that we should be prudent and careful in our posts and information that we put out there. There are some things that should just NOT be said on a blog - it is public information, and you never know who is going to read it.
I enjoy blogging. I have always enjoyed having a glimpse into others' lives though. I blog hop sometimes, but not as much as I used to. I seem to live an electronic life though. I email and don't talk on the phone. I really appreciate the people who call and talk instead of email. Rebecca H. asked if you were having a boy or girl. I knew from your blog, but I never talk to you, you know. You guys know each other way better, yet I knew about your baby from your blog. it was funny. She said, "i'll have to call her", which I really wish I was better at. I interrupt on the phone too much and don't know how to end a conversation or something!
blogging has helped me connect with so many people though and I really like that.
I'm forever impressed by the amount of readers you have and how profound the comments can be. Keep blogging.. we all need it!
Post a Comment