
I've finally opened the conference Ensign. And I remembered again why I loved conference so much. I read "Mothers Who Know" again by Julie Beck. There were 2 paragraphs that really struck me:
"Mothers who know build children into future leaders and are the primary examples of what leaders look like. They do not abandon their plan by succumbing to social pressure and worldly models of parenting. These wise mothers who know are selective about their own activities and involvement to conserve their limited strength in order to maximize their influence where it matters most."
How often I have thought someone else knows better than me about how to parent...and sometime they do. But Heavenly Father always knows. And I needed to hear again about maximizing my influence where it matters most....this only reiterated that feeling:
"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of he world's goods in order to spend more time with their children-more time eating together, working, reading, talking, laughing, singing and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all. Their goal is prepare a rising generation...who will take the gospel to all the world...who will be builders of the Lord's kingdom for the next 50 years. That is influence; that is power."
This really hit home for me because I am a "do it all" girl. I love doing...I don't always finish. But I thrive on that. I have to be so careful to make sure I am using my time to influence my childrens lives for the tests, trials and hard world they'll have to live through.
Yesterday I said to Jaren, "isn't this fun building a snowman! It's so nice to spend time with you!" He says.." Ya, but Mom you hardly ever do". "What do you mean?" "You just like to look at wedding pictures." SHOT in the HEART! So I started thinking about the rules I have for myself as someone who also works here and there. My rule is to never edit photos unless kids are asleep. To not answer the phone between 6-7 pm so I'm not distracted from the bedtime routine- I hate feeling rushed through scriptures and prayer, it just seems wrong. :) And to not spend much time at all on the computer during the day. I have been doing SO BAD at keeping my own rules. I was really thankful for the wake up call from the brill 5 year old. I really need to do better. So I will. My busy season is done (choir singing hallelujah) so I can really start over again.
Now, I do need to say, I live for people. I thrive off of meeting new people, having deep friendships, and starting new ones. So photography is key to me staying true to me. It's good & I think essential to make time for yourself. It all comes down to balance. And that's not always easy to find. I think I'm a mother who knows...but doesn't always "do". I'm so babbling at this point... so I will now stop.
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Mothers Who Know
Posted by
Jen-ben
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






16 comments:
I love it: "Mothers who know more do less!" thanks for the uplift!
Great post, jen!
This was one of my favorite talks and I actually took it visiting teaching! I have to give a talk on Sunday but it was already given Thanksgiving weekend...bummer! Thanks for the great post and uplifting message.
That talk was one of my favorites too. I need to read it again. Thanks for the reminder of how important what we do everyday is. We are all mothers who know!
That's like Emma's "Mom was on the computer ALL DAY."
And I also ADORED that talk...except for the part about being a good homemaker. Cleaning? What?
What a great post, and a great reminder. I am constantly amazed at all you "do," and how you always have time for your kids. I love your idea of not answering the phone during bedtime hours. What a fabulous idea! We just ordered Caller ID, so I think I might steal this idea. I think that Mothers who know also steal other people's great ideas! :) Thanks for always providing me with so many!
ps - I love that picture of Jaren. What a huge smile!
I agree...we can steal each others ideas! It's so nice to get ideas from other people! That was actually Jasper idea. He hated it when I'm the phone when things are already busy.
Heidi, good luck on your talk!!
As always, you inspire me. I haven't opened my conference Ensign either. Thanks to you, maybe i'll get around to doing that today. These kind of reminders are exactly what i need. And the pictures you always choose to go along with them - how could you not just melt looking at that little boy. He's not even my kid and I want to be a better mother because of that picture!
I really loved that talk, too. I heard a lot of ladies resented the talk and the implication that they were "mothering wrong", but I found it very inspiring and uplifting. I'm like you- if only I could "do" what I "know"!
You are one of those people that I wish I was like! You are so talented and a great mom. I've never seen you parent first hand, but I just know. Thank you for this post. We all need to be reminded and lifted up regarding motherhood. You are awesome. And thanks for your comments on my lowly blog! So happy you read it!
It is so great to see your blog again! I can't believe how lucky your children are to have a mother who documents their lives with these amazing pictures. I would love to look back on my childhood with pictures that just trully capture the feelings of being in that moment.
Love, love, love that talk. I know exactly what you are talking about. If you have room, I would like to join your fan club. :) You're the best.
I think I would have been in shock if one of my kids said that to me. What a wake-up call. I should probably try and start balancing and making rules for myself now, before my kids start getting bigger and having more and more grown up feelings.
Great post! What a guessing game this whole mothering thing is sometimes. A fine, fine balance. You look like you're doing a fantastic job.
Amen Sister! I love this post. Thanks for the reminder!
Post a Comment