Last Sunday I went to a primary inservice meeting. It was really good. As I sat there listening to one of the members of our bishopric speak I noticed how he held the scriptures. And bam, I remembered how I felt about the scriptures on my mission. He picked them up so carefully, and used them, you could tell he cherishes them. I remembered loving getting up early to read from them. I needed them. I felt lost when I didn't read from them. I started to get so choked up just from the mere feeling of remembering how I used to feel about them. I want that again. I need that again. I have known that I'd benefit greatly from immersing myself in them again, but at that moment I actually felt what I would feel like if I did. What a precious time of my life my mission was. Rarely does a day go by that I don't think about someone, a feeling, a place, or a smell from my 18 months in London. It just reiterated to me how much I need to make them a central part of my life again. How badly I want to live my life with the spirit completely present to help me be a good mom, friend, and wife. So I'm recommitting myself, because I want to, not because I feel like it's what I "should do". :) Thank you.
So in the spirit of my mission, I've posted a few pics...it's been way too long since I looked at these.
This was one of my very very favorite families. They were amazing, from Congo. They liked to feed us whenever we came, they'd put all the food on one plate and we'd all sit on the floor and eat together with our hands. Except the time they fed us the fish with the eye ball staring right at me. Ewe.
Eating foo-foo. A classic African food. It's like the consistency of really thick mashed potatoes, you eat it with peanut soup or another kind...yummm. And you don't chew it, just swallow. :) Notice Bonnie Parkin at the table? :) I love her!!
I love this city so much! One day I'll go back...







8 comments:
Oh how fun! Thanks for sharing.
I am just sitting here thinking about how I hold my scriptures... Thanks for the wonderful post. You are so cute!!! M
You would have been so much fun as a missionary companion!..and such a great missionary I'm sure. (oh and LOVE the shampoo picture below:)
Amen about the scriptures! I've had those time in my life...when I cling to them...but they are far too few and short-lived.
Thanks for telling us you were the white girl in the middle...I wouldn't have been able to find you.
Remember when we didn't have missions and everybody just stood on their roofs shouting about the gospel, or used those cans connected with string to try to get a hold of non-members?
It was a good meeting, wasn't it. I, too, noticed the way that he held his scriptures. I've told you before: It doesn't seem to matter what I am praying about, the answer is almost always "Read your scriptures" and "Attend the temple more often."
I kind of got interested in the Old Testament, and I've been reading it. I've got to tell you - A little strange. It just seems so obvious to me that certain parts are missing. The story lines don't flow, and certain parts are just gone (as in the all of the strories don't seem to "finish themselves"). It's not that I don't believe in the Bible (there are some wonderful parts as well), it just makes me wonder why people are so hesitant to give the Book of Mormon a try. It seems so much easier to read and follow (probably because it hasn't been translated a million times). And the Book of Mormon presents such a loving Savior with incredibly scriptures as to our personal relationship with Him.
Anyway...Thanks for the reminder. I LOVE the pictures. You look so tiny - I could just put you in my pocket. And your hair is SO long! I love the one of you teaching in the street. The way you are holding your body and your head - that is how you look when you are really dedicated to listening to someone. Something that you are SO good at! Oh...And I love Bonnie Parkin too.
I'm so glad you posted those pictures. We loved havIng you gone ....(teehee) I mean, having our daughter be a missionary. I still remember your accent and the way you leaned forward with your head nodding as you talked to people about the gospel. You were a wonderful missionary! Hopefully we will have another missionary in the family in the near future - no pressure anyone...
Mom DID love having you as a missionary! I don't think I've ever seen her prouder.
how fun. My husband served in England too (Bristol) and someday we want to go back and visit it before he's too old to remember any of it!
Post a Comment