These past couple of weeks have brought on a lot of thought. Gratitude, joy, love, sadness, a slight loss of freedom, and information overload. I must admit while I was at the hospital reeling about the birth of new disease in our family I kept thinking "what else really even matters in my life, except the safety and health of my family?" Nothing. It's strange how things like this propel what you've always known into really deeply feeling. The responsibility I feel about being a mother has grown immensely. I'd already been feeling that way for the last few years. I felt like my family was so impenetrable until quite recently as I've realized the toll the world will take on my children. Something that frightens me so much. Something I am constantly seeking guidance on from my Heavenly Father. I can't afford to lay back and just hope that my kids will turn out OK, that they will make great decisions on their own without help from their parents.
I am in the middle of reading a book called Snow Rising. There is one line in it that has really caught my attention. The main character is getting trained on how to climb a mountain. His teacher asks if he'd already learned one of the basics of climbing, he says no. She said "Oh good, I get to show you!". I caught myself wondering how different my attitude toward my role as a mother would be if I had that attitude toward my children. Oh good, I get to teach you how to be gentle to your brother, Oh good, I get to show you how to make your bed....
I know I babble all too often about being a mom. I think it's because I struggle so much with so many aspects of motherhood. It's a constant battle between myself and the self I want to be. The self I always envisioned being. I want to be her. I think I can be, but it might take until I'm dead.
I feel so thankful that the trial for us right now is manageable. That it won't result in death if we treat it properly. Every time I look at someone else's life, I see trials that I don't think I could handle. And sometimes I look at a woman and think, she has it so easy. Then I catch myself and realize I have absolutely no right judging like that. Maybe she does have it so easy right now, but I promise you from everything I am, she won't always.
I took a minute and decided to take a photo of every kid today. Just as they were, being them. I've added one of my very favorite poems as well. If you don't cry when you read it....well, don't tell me, because I do every time. :)
“HAVE YOU SEEN, ANYWHERE, A TALL LITTLE LADAND A WEE WINSOME LASS OF FOUR?
’TWAS ONLY TODAY, BAREFOOTED AND BROWN,
THAT THEY PLAYED BY MY KITCHEN DOOR.

’TWAS ONLY TODAY – OR MAYBE A YEAR?
IT COULDN’T BE TWENTY, I KNOW,
THEY WERE CALLING FOR ME TO HELP IN THEIR GAME

BUT I WAS TOO BUSY TO GO
TOO BUSY WITH SWEEPING AND DUSTING TO PLAY
AND NOW THEY HAVE SILENTLY WANDERED AWAY
IF PER CHANCE YOU HEAR OF THIS SLIM LITTLE LAD

AND THIS WEE WINSOME LASS OF FOUR,
I PRAY YOU TELL ME
TO FIND THEM AGAIN I WOULD JOURNEY THIS WIDE WORLD O’ER.
SOMEWHERE, I’M SURE, THEY’LL BE PLAYING A GAME,
AND SHOULD THEY BE CALLING FOR ME
TO COME OUT AND HELP THEM,

OH, TELL THEM, I BEG, I’M COMING AS FAST AS CAN BE!
FOR THERE’S NEVER A HOUSE MIGHT HOLD ME TODAY
COULD I HEAR THEM CALL ME TO JOIN IN THEIR PLAY.”

I am eternally grateful to be called "mom".






18 comments:
I just wish I could turn back time...and I'd choose you for my mother~
I would have been HONORED to be your mom. You are one amazing, strong, giving, and brave woman Melva love.
I'm so glad I have you as one of my many sisters-in-law. You are always inspiring me to so better...to BE better.
Thank you.
*do (not so)
Love all of your posts...thanks for sharing.
Oh, I love that poem. So powerful. I need to post it somewhere so I can read it everyday. The "Oh, good- I get to teach you" insight is awesome. I need to think of things that way more often. Thank you for being my breath of fresh air and for helping me to think about things in a new light.
Crying (but you can always count on me for that).
"It's strange how things like this propel what you've always known into really deeply feeling."
I find myself constantly coming to these groundbreaking ideas, which are so basic. It's like my mind always knew them. If I were to take a multiple choice test, I would get it right. But through experiences, I find that my heart...my soul...is just learning them. I think you put it perfectly and it is quickly becoming one of my favorite quotes. (I don't think you give yourself enough credit for your ability to verbalize your thoughts.)
The line that "gets me" every time in that poem is "Twas only today-or maybe a year? It couldn't be twenty, I know." We were in the temple the other day with four 19-year-old boys receiving their endowments for the first time. As I watched them with their fathers, I realized that Austin is closer to this milestone than he is to being born. We are no longer counting our time to be with him. We have reached the top of the mountain and are counting down. It did something to me. Am I being the mom I want to be? Am I teaching my kids what I think is the most important? Because the clock is ticking.
I need to have more faith in myself because I don't know that I can say that I think I can be that self that I've always envisioned being. But you've inspired me to try. Thank you for being you. You are amazing!
And you make dang cute kids.
I mean, downright adorable.
I'm tempted to reach into this computer and scoop Chase and Tae up.
Why Can't I see any pictures?!?!?
Besides that, I LOVE this post. Love. Inspiring Ms. Jenn
What a beautiful post Jen. You make a mom so very proud. I do so love the pictures.
I just love you and your posts and how you can express your feelings in a way that's so recognizable to everyone...thanks for the poem...I love that you took a picture of each kid being themselves. You're the bayst.
Oh my gosh, what great pics! They're so 'right now' and I love that taelyn is in a superhero cape.
You have such a great perspective on all of this, having that kind of clarity is what will help you get through it in one piece.
love you!
I needed this! Thank you for the reminder and for the well written words. It made me pause and think... am I doing all that I should be for my children. I need to do better.
That wasn't sappy, Jen. That was extremely touching. And I know what you mean about so much of it. As I've watched Brooklyn get every conceivable bad gene from her parents- milk fat intolerance, hypoglycemia, pre-fibromyalgia symptoms, major depression, and a 46 degree scoliotic curve in her back- and then the life challenges- there was always a dark cloud in our house when I was married that she could feel(sorry if that's TMI), and because of things related to that cloud, I couldn't give her siblings that I desperately wanted to, and my heart broke more for her over the divorce than for myself, and that is saying a lot, I think, what have I done to this kid? And what could I possibly do for her to help her with all this?
I often look back at my mistakes with her, my impatience at times, and wish I could go back as the mom I am now, as I've learned so much, but I know it doesn't work that way.
Someone said to me, though, that the trials I have gone through have tempered me and brought me closer to the Savior, and if I take those opportunities away from her, to protect her, she won't have those same opportunities for growth. I'd like her to have the strength but not have to get there like I did. I guess that's why I'm not in charge. All I can do is love her and let her know how much every single day, apologize when I screw up, and thank God for letting me be her mom. I think that's all any of us can do. And I think you are a good mom, Jen. I admire you. I always have.
Jen, I had no idea you had five kids! and they are SO BEAUTIFUL! Love all your pictures, you are so amazing. I can't believe Tae has diabetes and you totally called it. That's so neat to live so close to the spirit. And yes, you do look so young(and almost exactly the same) in those wedding photos!
This was just what I needed today. Thank you for putting it so beautifully.
Thank you Jen, you are truly an amazing mother so full of wisdom and so good at showing others what is truly important....i love you for that.
Post a Comment