Thursday, February 24, 2011

Taelyn and type 1

We just got home from a long 3 days at the hospital. For about 2 weeks I'd been noticing Tae was drinking, peeing, and eating non stop. She was a little sick at that time so I thought it was just because she was dehydrated, but I decided to keep my eye on her. In those two weeks, I went to AZ to do some shoots, and then to Kansas City to get Lasik. I got home Sunday. The feeling wouldn't leave me that it may be diabetes. It just kept at me. Anyone who know me, knows that when it comes to sick kids I very rarely worry enough to take them to the doctor. But again, the thought wouldn't leave me. It's interesting because I'd heard so so long ago about symptoms of Type 1 diabetes and those thoughts just kept at me. I know it was the spirit "bringing all things unto your remembrance".

I took her first thing Monday morning, the doc looked me like I was one of those way crazy moms. And said, "Ya, she doesn't look like she'd have diabetes, and I highly doubt she does, but we'll check her any way." She peed in a cup like a good little diva. We waited. And waited. He finally came back in and was so shocked, he went and talked to two other docs in that office. He said that since she wasn't yet sick (horrible flu like symptoms....heading into diabetic shock) she would have been this week. And to go straight to the ER at Primary's. So off we went. I cried in the car on the way home, she got so scared, so when I stopped the car in our driveway we sat in the drivers seat and cried together.
Within minutes of calling Emily she was at my house with Greg ready to take all my kids. Jasper went to leave to come home and wouldn't you know it, his cars battery was dead. He got a jump and headed home. When he got home, Greg and Jasper gave her a blessing, it was really comforting. Then Greg offered to take Jaspers car and get a new battery. Seriously, we could not have better friends. I will forever be thankful for them being there at that stressful, scary moment with open and willing hearts.
We spent the next 3 days at the hospital getting inundated with information about Type 1 diabetes. It's so overwhelming. I think I'll do a day in the life post with pictures just to demonstrate how time consuming it is. I had NO idea.
Tae has been amazing. Truly. There were lots of times 3 of us had to hold her down to give her insulin, but today she hasn't cried once. She's been so brave and strong.
While I was in the hospital I had people texting, calling, emailing, sending me messages and love on Facebook...it's been amazing. Melva girl broke into my house and cleaned my house and washed laundry. Emily kept my kids for 3 days, so at times she had 4 one year olds at her house, put my kids to bed and folded all my laundry. I have friends bringing my meals- Jackie, Allyson, Maria :). Kim, who took and picked up my kids from school every day this week. People visited and brought gifts, sent gifts....I can't tell you how touched I have been. I feel so overwhelmed with love that it makes the overwhelming stress so much easier to bare.
Here are a few of the pics I snapped during our stay:

Tae with all her new dolls, toys and barbies.
This doll they gave her to draw on, isn't she beautiful?
Stuffed animal from Grandma and Grandpa
weirdo daddy in the background

one of her many chats on the phone


a closer look at the baby doll she drew on. the dots by the heart are her "diabetes"
A picture she drew when she got home last night.... the faces in the far left hand column she says: "the people smiling got shots, the sad and angry people didn't get shotted in their bums". How cute is my daughter people?
This one is of people at the hospital...

That hospital is seriously amazing, in every way. I feel, again, so blessed to live by Primary's. They are the top in the nation when it comes to diabetes.

17 comments:

Annette Larsen said...

What a little supergirl you have! I love her pictures, and I love hearing about all the people pouring love down on you. What wonderful friends you have that they would break into your house to help. That is true love and compassion. I love you and we're praying for you and especially Miss Tae.

Meredith said...

That is so wonderful that you have such a wonderful support system of friends and family. SO wonderful! (I'm a tad bit jealous, too, because i KNOW there would not be that kind of support for us if something like this happened!) You have WONDERFUL people who LOVE you SO much!!!!!! And it's all because you LOVE so much in return!!!!

I'm so glad Tae is doing well! She's so brave!


And to give you a little chuckle... I pulled up this blog post and Jackson saw the pictures of Taelyn in her hospital bed and he asked "Is she going to die??" I quickly told him NO! But I think it came from the fact that they are raising money at school for kids with leukemia, and I had to talk about cancer and dying with him a few days ago. :)

Emily said...

I felt so many emotions reading this post. I feel like Tae's picture: happy for friendship and all of the blessings that are discovered when trials come, and sad for Tae (and her Mommy and Daddy) for having to go through all of this. I'm not really angry, I guess, but I do love the "angry" people with their straight mouths. :-)

She looks so little in that bed (with all of her new loot). I am so relieved that you followed your promptings and that she is doing so well. She really is such an adorable, strong, determined, loving, brave little person. Love her so much, and we love you too. "What would we be without the Fauset's?!?"

Karen Rowley said...

I too am SO grateful for your wonderful friends who are there for you when we can't be. The gospel friendships and ward families help us so much we can't even count it all. thank you Emily and Greg and Melva and all the others who are your guardian angels these days.
We love little Tae so much and really feel for her and you and Jazz in all your struggles to deal with her new life. Thanks for sharing so much and letting us in your life to show our love!
You are such a sweet family!
I love you all! MoM

Jana said...

She is so gorgeous...in all those pictures! Poor girl, getting shotted in her bum! It seems so unfair! But I am so happy for you having such amazing friends...I love them!

Ruth said...

Her pictures are so AMAZING!! Such detail! The idea that the smiling happy people DID "get shotted in their bums" and so they have good health and are happy is Right On! Congratulations to all of you for working together in this trial. Good for You!

C'est La Sara said...

i bet those nurses fell in love with tae, she's just too lovable
it's because of the amazing person that you are that makes everyone want to be amazing back, you've got such a strong support system. and your baby girl looks so brave and beautiful. she's so lucky to have a mommy like you that follows the promptings of the spirit even if the silly doctor makes fun of her :)
she's in my prayers

AudyCamp said...

Wow-good job listening to those promptings..I say a Mom's feelings go deeper than any doctor's degree or expertise. Poor little girl needing all those shots. :( Glad you have a lot of support. My prayers are with you & your sweet little Tae.

Carol said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet little girl. I am constantly amazed and inspired by how people like you and Jasper deal with huge challenges like this. Taelyn seems like such a trooper. You'll be in our prayers.

Bryce & Cherise said...

Her drawings are so interesting! I love all her detail and the sad/happy faces. :) she is such a smart girl...I loved talking to her and hearing her side of things hehe! Bryce misses you guys bad too. We should iChat! Love you!

LeMira said...

She is a champ! We love that hospital, too. Her hospital buddy just made me melt with her diabetes. . .oh, Tae!

Bryndie said...

I am so glad you guys caught it when you did! What a scary thing for parents to go through. Looks like she is so happy and that is most important, right?

Lisa said...

What a scary time! Tae looks so small in that bed, but what a sweet face and pictures. It's amazing how resilient kids are. So glad you caught the signs when you did, and took her in. There are things I wish I'd caught sooner with my kids, and let me tell you, regret for the might-have-been is agony.

A day in the life of the Campbell's said...

Thinking of you and sending well wishes and prayers.

Mel said...

Little Tae- she is an angel. Those pictures melted my heart. I wish I could be there to help- I am so grateful that you have such wonderful friends to take care of you and your family. Love you.

Unknown said...

Jump in whenever you're ready. There's a huge Diabetes Online Community (DOC) ready and willing to embrace you.

You can do this.

Never forget that.

Diane D said...

I saw your comment on Candy Hearts. I am pretty new too. (My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed November 8th) Sending you love...