Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mother knows best


I called my mom today to chat. She is such an amazing, kind, exemplary mother. While we were talking about her own baby getting ready to get married, she got a little choked up. After talking for a while she said through some tears (I'm paraphrasing) " I wish I could just back to Payson when you were all so little". Now, this statement is to me a very powerful one. Because- when she lived in Payson she was raising small small children. As in, she was 32 years old (my age) and had 7 children, 12 and under. We lived in a very modest house. The main level was something like 1000 square feet. We had a basement that was partly finished a couple years before we moved. And we only had one bathroom.

I said, "really?" "Yes, in a heartbeat. You were all so good. The only thing I had to worry about was how wild Eric was." One day I'm going to say that. Of all of the time spans of her life, that was the one she wanted to go back to. I of course, started to cry. I think we both needed a cry. So often I think I neeeed a bigger house, this or that. But I don't. It's not what's important. I never felt like that house was small. Ever. Until I drive by it now...I'm sure if I was to go in I'd be shocked at how small it really was.
I do love how right now my kiddies are all at such a great age. They're happy, they love me, they adore each other, they're so teachable, humble, and full of spirit. In a few more short years, I won't have total control over their coming and goings, or the choices they'll make. I'm going to wish for a dirty house. I'll wish for a house full of little voices asking for things, tattle telling and wanting kisses on their owies.
The second statement that spoke to my heart, was when we were talking about my dirty house. Really dirty today. I won't go into details. :) But she said, well you can either clean up or do something that will be make a difference. Now sometimes we have to clean. That's a given. But so many times, I choose to clean, or do other things, instead of making a difference- an impression, grasping an opportunity to teach, or just to scoop up a child and cuddle. I must constantly remind myself that a clean house is not my top priority. So I will cherish my babies and leave the couch cushions strung across the living room floor. For a little while anyway.
It's strange how whenever I speak to my mom it's like I revert back to being little. I feel safe to cry, safe to just be me. When I was in labor with Maddie, she was flying in to try and make it there for the birth. I went the all natural route and was having really good contractions. But I was a quiet laborer. No crying, no noise really. She called to see how I was, and as soon as I heard her voice, broke down in tears. Something inside me just gave in. It's so funny how that happens. I think we always want our moms to be proud, to be there to pick us up when we're sad. Sometimes I still want to just crawl on her lap and nuzzle into her neck. Get ready mom. :) I hope that my children will all feel as safe as I do with my mom. So for those of you who don't have a mega supportive, loving mama out there, you can borrow mine. She will love you.
There were more bits she said to me that I really needed to hear today. So thank you mom. I feel so blessed to have you as my mother. One day, maybe I'll be just like you. I can only hope...

21 comments:

Bethany said...

one day my mom told me something like.... you don't look forward to all your kids moving out.

i thought that was funny because i do kind of look forward to it, but I see what she means. It's such a special time, where we are right now. our kids love us no matter what. i try to remind myself all the that this is a great time. Even an old lady in the store looked at me with my 3 kids in the cart and told me, "those were the days!"

how wonderful to have such a great mom. I'm sure I'd like her!

Michelle Arnett said...

Would she mind if I borrowed her?!? If she's anything like you, I'm sure I would LOVE her:) I met her for a few brief moments and had a good long convo w/her on the phone while you were in Francearoo. . . I bragged to her how amazing you are, how you are my example of a good mother, a good friend and a good person. It's true how moms are directly linked to the tear ducts. . . there are times that all I have to hear is my moms voice and then my tears come on a flowing. Love you Jen Jen, Jenny from my block, J-Fa.
~Michelle

Sera said...

This post is making ME get all teary. I feel the same way about my mom. And, boy oh boy, do I ever relate to the other stuff you talked about in regards to cleaning and stuff. It's a struggle, but it really is worth it to put up with a mess in exchange for making sweet memories with your kids. Thanks for the reminder. You're so awesome.

diane lott said...

I think having a messy house is just part of being a mom with little kids. There is no way I can keep up with the four that I have unless I hire someone to help me, which isn't a bad idea. I'd really rather go on walks with them to the park and do stuff with them. To heck with all the stuff stung all over the place, even if it really bugs me. I just try to ignor the bulk of it. I try to make them clean up after themselves and that is even harder than cleaning up after them myself. I just give up on it every once and a while or I will go crazy. Cleaning ladies are nice, they are a real pick me up!

Bryce & Cherise said...

Mom IS fabulous! and my tear ducts are connected to mom too. ;)
Jen so often you post one of these blog posts and I wish I was at that stage when I could reevaluate my Mothering situation and feel better about it but I'm not quite there yet. So I make lots of big plans to go back one day and read these old posts of yours and remind myself that It's a great time of life!!! :)
LOVES!

Kathy said...

I love the post and the picture. I'm so lucky that I have a great mom and that she lives 1/2 mile away.

It's funny just last night about a half hour after I got all 4 kids in bed Sophie started to cry. Usually I will let her cry it out for a few minutes and she goes back down but last night I just wanted to go in there and cuddle her until she calmed down. While I was doing it I thought to myself some people will tell me I'm not doing this right and she won't learn. But she's my last and I'm going to cuddle her as long as I need to even if she doesn't need it.

Seriously I love your post and it is good to remember to cherish the little ones.

MoM K said...

Aahh, my little Jenni 100%, you are so sweet to post this. I love the picture! I have the one of me and Chase sitting right here on my desk. It's true- You are really an awesome Mom and your kids love you and clutter really IS part of life. You have made me feel wonderful. Ummm, just as a warning, the little girl/mommy feeling never went away with me and my mom either. Isn't that interesting? I love you!!!!

Jana said...

Sometimes when Emma wants to sit by me or cuddle with me, I have that sudden realization hit me--that feeling that I always had of just wanting to be with my mom and feeling happy and safe....that's me now! I'm the mom, and that's how she feels about me! I looooove it.
As for mom wanting to go back to Payson, it's like President Monson said in conference recently--the smudged furniture and piles of laundry will be gone one day, and you WILL miss it!!! Some days I know that's really hard to believe for a lot of people...but apparently it's true!! :)

Barbara said...

I LOVE your Mom! She is the sweetest Mom ever! Thanks for writing this post. I am so guilty of worrying too much about the house being clean, wanting a little bigger place, etc. Kids don't care about that at all! All they want is to play and wrestle and eat ice cream with Mommy. I am realizing with Michael that life is just way too fragile and passes way too fast to worry about a dirty house. I am totally the same way...I play tough, like nothing can push me over, until my Mom comes around. And when she does, I feel like a little girl in need of cuddle sessions and needing my hair brushed! I love it! Love you! You are such an amazing mother!

Mel said...

And this is why I love you. Just as I was getting frustrated again about the size of our house you post this and brought me back to what is most important. You and your mom are amazing.

The Cureton Family said...

Thanks Jen! You always have a way of putting things in perspective. I agree--your mama is fabulous! I get to see her at school sometimes and she is always so quick to fill me in on how you and your babes are doing. She is truly one of the sweetest people I have ever met. And I love her quote: " you can clean it up or do something that will make a difference." So true, and a good reminder to myself. And what is it about our mothers' voices that make us cry?! I am the same way. I'll be going through a hard time, but think I'm handling it OK, until I hear her voice and then the floodgates open. And now I see it with my own kids. Weston was riding his bike yesterday and crashed hard. He didn't know I was outside watching. He got up and brushed himself off and seemed to be fine until he saw me. Then the tears came.

Kristi said...

Don't you just love Moms!!!! I am the same way - i can be so strong until I talk to my Mom!
Thanks for the beautiful post and reminder of how great life is!!!!

Kristy said...

Thanks for this great reminder Jen. It's so hard for me to remember to love the stage my kids are in NOW. Your mom sounds like a wonderful lady, and I'm sure you're just like her.

Lindsay said...

Aren't moms the best? I love my mama too, I'm glad you have a great one.

Jackie said...

Great post Jen. I think as daughters we all feel the same way about our moms. We have a special bond with them.

And thanks for the reminder to enjoy my kids and the age that they are-and that it's okay to have messes!

Emily said...

I think this is why I have been having such a difficult time accepting the fact that I'm through having kids. I know I can't have any more, but I'm not ready to not have small children. I'm not ready to accept the fact that in ten short years, my children will start graduating from High School. I love your mom and her advice. I have a tough time functioning with a messy house, but she is right, it isn't that important.

I remember after I had my third miscarriage, and I was getting all sorts of advice/comments from very well-intentioned people. "Don't worry. It will happen." "Maybe you just need a priesthood blessing." "Maybe you should just count your blessings." I was starting to get annoyed. Then, my mom walked in my house, put out her arms, and said "I'm just so sorry, honey." It was exactly what I needed, and I cried and cried and she just let me for as long as I needed without offering any advice. I wish I were more like her. She tells me all the time that these are the best days of my life. I know she is right.

I love you, Jen. I love your mom, too. And all your wonderful sisters for being such awesome moms. You all inspire me to be better, more relaxed, and a little more fun.

Aislinn said...

Great post! I was totally tearing up reading this....it is just 100% right on!

Bryndie said...

Thanks Jen, I needed that! The house cleaning is a tough one for me, I just need to remember how fast they grow up! It makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

andrea said...

Miss Jen, this is such a sweet post. It brought tears to my eyes. Mom's do just have such a special place in our hearts. I have loved watching all the new moms in the ward, and the new babies. You are such a sweet mother to your children. I don't know your mommy, but she sounds wonderful. She must be, she raised you.

Melissa Bosen said...

When I was 12 years old, my parents adopted my little brother. A family friend bought her a framed quote with a mom sitting in her rocking chair with her baby. It said, "Go away cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." It's the oldest looking cross stich thing, but I absolutely love it.

Kayla Rice said...

awwwwwwww this is so sweet and made me cry. Your mom is so amazing. I remember many times as a kid I needed a mom.. Your mom always made me feel very special. I will never forget that.