Monday, December 15, 2008

Sweet-ums

These two are so sweet...all of my kids are...but I loved these photos. I took them last month and forgot about them. Tae is trying so hard to grow up. She loves stuffing things in her backpack and walking where ever she may like a big girl.
I just love the bigness of the backpack against her tiny self.


Then there is this handsome man...always looking out for her, and everyone else. This illustrates him to a t. Not actually touching her- she would have a fit- but putting his arm behind her for protection and a little guidance if needed. And if there were danger in her midst, he would rescue her. I feel like this is so much the way God treats us. He is always there, never pushing us, but there to guide and save when we need Him.

  This time of year is so great for reflecting on the things we have to be grateful for. This year money isn't one of those things. But that's OK, it's really helped me to look beyond the present giving and buying and relish in the small and simple things I'm so blessed with. My amazing husband, laughing children, food, a warm house, friends, and mostly our Savior Jesus Christ who knows us.
One of my favorite songs has always been "Lead Kindly Light". I love the first two verses especially.


1. Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom;
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene—one step enough for me.


This is something I have to remember...one step enough for me. I don't know what the future holds, none of do. Sometimes it's harder than other times not to see right in front of us. The night is dark, and it's sometimes very scary. But I trust, and I do not ask to see...one step is enough for me.


2. I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path; but now,
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.


I will continue to trust, I know our lives are all filled with various trials, hardships and weaknesses. Maybe this year I will be a little more gentle with myself, and with those around me. Any hardships in our lives really do draw us (if we let it) towards our Father in Heaven. What a blessing!! If we never had hard times, we would feel no need for that relationship. We can trust and He will lead us all on.

14 comments:

Annette Larsen said...

That picture of J is so fabulous. I love protective brothers, they are the best.

Christine said...

I love that hymn too! Totally one of my favorites.
Jay is soooooo sweet. I love him.

Tanya said...

Gorgeous photos Jen! Tae is just adorable with her backpack, it's almost as big as she is!! Gotta love a protective brother, in years to come it will be a great comfort to both your girls!

Hope you are all well :)

love,
t. xxx

Cherise Davies said...

Jen those pictures are BEAUtiful!!! :) They make me miss your little ones so much!! It's been TOO long since I've been done there to play with them! :(

Amber said...

You really are blessed with great kids. Hope you guys have a great holiday season!!

Ella A. said...

what sweet pictures, and good advice! I love how the backpack is as big as she, that's great. but my favorite is how he is so protective of her.

tiffunny said...

What a great post. The pic of him behind her is so precious. And i love your outlook on life. You're so right about trials drawing us closer to God and how we wouldn't if we never went through hard times. I was just reading wirthlin's conference talk (Come what may & love it) the other day & he mentioned how "the Lord in wisdom does not shield ANYONE from grief or sorrow". And if we approach our trials the right way, our hardest times can be times of our greatest growth, which in turn leads to times of greatest happiness. How true.

Jackie said...

Great thoughts Jen. Thanks for sharing. Love the pics. I can't believe how much Tae has grown up. Wow. Can you believe it??

Mel said...

That is one of my favorite hymns too. The words commforted me during a tough time a few years back and has had a special place in my heart ever since. Jen, you are amazing. I am grateful for your insights and the reminders of what is most important.

LeMira said...

I think we sometimes go through life thinking things won't happen to us. And you're right -- we have to let the hard times lead us closer to our Father in Heaven. And then remember to stay close to him. Hang in there, Jen. I know (because of my experiences) that the Lord is blessing you and will continue to do so.

Nina Jones said...

Jen, I go to your BLOG everyday I wanted to let you know I love your words that you so eloquently say and express... I hope you have a wonderful Christmas your family is precious... The Jones family loves you all.... Corey misses Jasper a ton....

Emily said...

So beautifully spoken. This is exactly what I was trying to say on Sunday when I commented in your class, but I came off sounding like a blubbering mess. You put it so much more eloquently.

Love your wonderful children! By the way, we have Tae's Dora backpack. I've had it by the door to return, but I keep forgetting. We'll get it back soon!

Jana said...

That is one of my favorite hymns. It says it so perfectly!
That pic of J and Tae is way too cute.

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful insights. I have never really thought much about that hymn, but it really is very meaningful and beautiful. Thanks for being such a good friend to Emily and inculuding us in that friendship!Love and appreciate you and your family!