Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Some organic cleaning recipes

I'm sick of choking chemicals every time I clean anything.  So I'm determined to start using organic cleaners again.  Thought I'd share some recipes for any of you who are interested.  They're super easy, still completely disinfect, and are way cheaper than buying cleaning supplies, and so much better for you and your kids!

Basic Multi-purpose cleaner
Ingredients
Distilled White Vinegar
Water
Essential Oil of your choice (optional)

Directions
Get an empty spray bottle (I just re-used an old one)
Fill it half way with vinegar
Top off with water
Add several drops of your favorite essential oil, if desired.
Strong aromas like peppermint or trea tree oil work well.


The Basics of How to Make Organic House Cleaning Products

If you are looking for ways to bring more natural products into your cleaning routine, there are a few basics you will want to have on hand at all times. All of the following items should be available at your local organic grocery store:

Baking soda: This baking basic is a powerhouse of cleaning and deodorizing. It can be used in homemade cleaning solutions, as a paste or sprinkled directly on a surface.
Borax: A naturally occurring compound made of boron, sodium, oxygen and water, borax is a great cleaner, especially for laundry. 
Cornstarch: Great for cleaning carpets and rugs, cornstarch can also be used in place of baby powder.
Lemon juice: A natural whitener, lemon juice can also remove grease and other stains, especially on aluminum and porcelain.
Salt: Abrasive but gentle, salt is great for scouring.
Washing soda: This is different from baking soda and is a good choice for general cleaning, cutting grease and disinfecting. You can find it on the laundry aisle, but it may not be an organic product.
White vinegar: Another great general-purpose cleaner, white vinegar is good for removing mildew, grease and other stains. It is also a great choice for washing windows and making metal surfaces shiny.
Essential Oils: A natural way to add a wonderful smell to your products.

Some more recipes:
Bathroom disinfectant (need a lot of it with 4 kids): 2 cups water, 2 tsp borax, 8-10 drops of any essential oil.  Mix into a spray bottle, shake before use!

Sink cleansers: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup vinegar, oil of choice. Scrub with cloth and rinse.

Toilet Bowl: This is my favorite - an overnight bomb! 1 cup borax, 1 cup vinegar, 10 drops pine, 5 drops lemon. Let sit overnight and flush in the morning.
Another: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup vinegar, tea tree oil - place all into toilet bowl, swish and done!

Glass cleaner: using a mixture of a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar and about a quart of water in a spray bottle. For sticky spots on glass caused by hairspray, dab with rubbing alcohol. 

Kitchen: using the same glass cleaner from the bathroom where needed. For greasy spots near the oven and on cabinet doors, dilute 1/4 cup of lemon juice in a quart of hot water.

For fresh carpet:  1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of salt or cornstarch. Sprinkle the mixture on the carpet and let it sit for about 30 minutes before vacuuming. Also, leave a sprinkle of cinnamon or allspice for 15 minutes to scent a freshened rug.

Laundry:  Wash whites in a combination of 1/4 cup of sodium carbonate and 1/4 cup white vinegar. The vinegar smell disappears when the clothes are dry and it freshens your laundry. For darks, use 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of salt. The salt brightens the colors.

I don't make all of these- but I like having options!  :)

16 comments:

Beal Family said...

Very cool! I am going to have to test some of them out and see how they do...thanks for the info! :)

The Cureton Family said...

Thanks for the ideas! I have long been a fan of vinegar and baking soda, and like you said, it's nice having options! I'll have to try some of them. I just made some homemade baby wipes--if you're interested http://www.heatherscraftiness.blogspot.com

Brian and Kim said...

Very cool, I'll have to try some. Thanks!!

Meredith said...

I'll definitely have to try some of those.

And FYI...borax also KILLS ANTS!!!

LeMira said...

Thank you, thank you!! After cleaning my bathroom today with nasty chemicals, I was so happy to read this. I'm definitely printing off this post.

chelle said...

Wow. This is great. Thanks for the info. m

Bryndie said...

Thanks for the tips, I have been thinking about going organic as well. I am just nervous it wont clean as well. I guess it is worth a try "right"?

Marie said...

I just use the Method stuff from target. It is non-toxic and it smells great. I barely have time to clean my house let alone make my own cleaners.

However, if you do make your own cleaners you have my respect and admiration!!

Jen-ben said...

Ya, I use Method too...it's yummy!

Kathy said...

I am a big fan of organic. I haven't ever tried to make my own, but a friend of mine bought me a bottle of Shaklee cleaner last year (you dilute it to different strengths and it lasts forever) and is completely organic and it works better than most of the chemical stuff I've used before.

The thing I LOVE about cleaners like this is how safe they are. My kids like to clean the windows and walls and stuff and I don't worry at all about giving them their own spray bottle and letting them clean their hearts out.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I have long looked for exactly these recipes! Thank you for putting them in one place for all of us! I already use one, but I will definitely be adding the others to my household arsenal!

Chrystal said...

Does anybody know about cleaning stick-free pans? A couple of ours get this gross build-up on them i can never wash or scrub off. It's like a permanent layer of grease covering my stick-free.

HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!HELP!

Valerie said...

What is the pine you mention in the toilet bowl cleaner? Is it an essential oil? Looks like just the recipe I need!

A day in the life of the Campbell's said...

great stuff! I have just started using baking soda as a deodorant and apply with a thick make up brush....it is better than any deodorant I have ever used and natural not like that aluminum stuff they put in deodorants..try it , it works!!!

corbanandnoelle said...

Thanks for those recipes! I will have to hide them from my hubby, though, who has been so sweet and done all cleaning of the bathrooms and the kitchen sink ever since I got pregnant because we don't want the chemicals to harm the baby! It would be sad to have to start doing that cleaning myself with only 3 months to go ;)

Meredith said...

OK, so I didn't have the sodium carbonate, but I added vinegar and salt to all of my laundry today....and everything DOES look brighter! I swear even old, set-in stains (like pit stains) are so much better! Su-weet!