The dreaded question...I've been wanting to ask you all about your feelings on immunizations. I have my own feelings, but will leave them off for now. Just wondering- some time ago I had a poll on immunizations and so so many of you said they freaked you out but did them any way. OR that you did them at your own pace. So what do YOU think? Freaked or not freaked?
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






55 comments:
not freaked because: my doctor brothers immunize their kids & none of my girls 50+ cousins has had a negative reaction. However, if relatives had had any adverse reactions I would be way freaked and my decision would be more difficult:)
They don't freak me out. They freak Spencer out and I remember we always had arguments about it when it came time to immunize our kids. I just think the chance of having a reaction is slim and I would rather chance that then my kids getting something worse from not being immunized. Plus, if you don't immunize I think it's kind of a pain for school to get them in....
Totally freaked out! I am so feared that my child will end up with autism. Today they have 37 shots vs. 10 when I was a child "Yikes". I think to much of anything can be potent to those little bodies. Personaly, I would rather my child get mumps, measles, etc... With todays technology they can be cured easy, where autism they have for life. Something to think about "right"??? I think they should be immunized, just not by the time they are 2 years.
I'm not freaked out. My personal opinion is that there has been so much research on finding ways to prevent these diseases that killed so many people in the past, that I would rather take precautions, especially since my boy has gone through so much anyway.
I know we've heard that autism might be linked to immunizations, but there isn't enough evidence to support that theory right now. I remember reading about the story about a child that was normal and then suddenly became autistic and the parents attributed it immunizations. Unfortunately, the onset of autism isn't always from birth. It is usually around the toddler years that the attributes are manifested, and the situation with the child is such that it has to be studied whether or not immuinzations had to do with it. The percentages of children getting autism from immunizations is very, very low.
I would be freaked out to NOT immunize. We have immunizations because these illnesses are still out there. There are risks involved, but i don't know anybody that has experienced them. By getting my boys immunized i have a better chance at protecting them from these awful illnesses that they don't need to suffer through. I know a couple that chose to not immunize and there little girl got the measles and became deaf as a consequence. Yikes! A couple years ago i got Whooping Cough from a co-worker, my boys were okay because they had been immunized but i had to go on meds for a month (my immunization needed a booster shot that i never got). I wasn't worried about my family, but my sister doesn't immunize her kids-and i was worried about passing my whooping cough onto them. I protect my kids as much as i possibly can. This is, to me, another way i can protect them.
NOT freaked because my pediatrician (and all of his partners) immunize their children, because of everything I learned in nursing school, because of common sense, and because of gut feeling.
I totally agree with everything that Lemira said. In addition to what she said, I think that autism is caught and diagnosed a whole lot more these days because they catch the less severe cases.
Plus, I think it's so amazing that there are some diseases that are so horrible, that completely destroyed tons of people in the past, that are almost off the face of the Earth now thanks to immunizations. If everyone stops immunizing their children just because they are scared of the "what if", those diseases could easily come back. Then how would those parents feel if their child was dying from one of those illnesses?
I am a strong believer of immunizations and feel like it is my parental responsibility to have my children immunized and protected from life-threatening illnesses. It is my frank opinion that people who don't immunize are irresponsible parents.
BEE wise....immunize!
(That's said in dad's "bee" voice.)
I have had many friends whose children have had adverse reactions to immunizations- life threatening ones- therefore I could NEVER judge who should or shouldn't get immunized. Or what pace they do it at. If you have a gut feeling either way- go with it!!!
Hmmm - i have conflicting views and opinions and feelings about it. I have never really had a "problem" with immunizations. My husband always has. He has never been a fan of immunize by 2. It hurts him to think of me pumping our little newbors and babies with all these "diseases". Rather he thinks we should start immunizing at 2. He claims that Japan has no SIDS and they don't immunize until 2 and stuff like that. My kids have never had any real issues with the immunizations and since i was the one who always took them to their well-checks, I always got them right on time (against my husband's opninions). My 2nd kid did pretty much get a reaction to chicken pox or measles or one of those - she got a mild case of them, but that's been the only issue. With that being said though why must we have a vaccination for chicken pox??? When i argue with my doctor over this, he tries to convince me that chicken pox is a deadly disease. Ummm - i still will disagree with him on this and luckily my little boy got chicken pox for no apparent reason when he was 4 months old and doesn't have to get the stupid vaccine. But i still fight with my doctor every time he thinks any of my other kids have to get it and I always give in because i know it will be a bigger fight when i go to put them in stupid school. And i HATE that the schools give people a hard time if they don't immunize their kids. It's none of their business. If all the rest of us have our kids vaccinated then why do we care if some unvaccinated kid is in school with them? I believe it's every parent's choice to do what they want. I don't agree with people FORCING and PERSUADING us as to what is best for our children. Only a parent knows what is best for their children and i think everyone has the individual right to make whatever decision they want about it. My sister is kind of anti but she still does them - she just waits a long time cause she doesn't like taking them to the doctor anyways. And her kids have to get LESS shots then all of us who stay up to date on them. I don't like how with every kid I've had there's more and more shots they keep inventing and making MANDATORY. And now they are coming up with a booster for the stupid chicken pox vaccine that i don't like getting anyway - so now they are supposed to get it again when they're like 5. The amount of shots they are coming up with is starting to annoy me. Because of my insurance and my baby's birthday, I didn't get her 1 year old shots until her 18 month check-up. The doctor didn't really like that, but oh well. So he then wanted me to come in a month or two later to get a whole bunch more (cause he couldn't give all of them at the same time cause there were so many). Well I'm not going in until her 2 year check-up. I just don't see the "urgency" at having to get them right a certain time. So this comment was very random and all over the place but my verdict is this - i do them but i am a strong believer in everyone making their own choice and all the rest of us not judging one way or the other. A mother knows best what her child should and shouldn't have. My youngest sister did her 1st boys all on time and stuff. Then when she had her 2nd kid she just didn't feel right at his 4 month check-up about getting them, so she postponed them against her doctor's wishes. A few weeks later it came out that a bunch of the vaccinations had been tainted around that same time. Now we'll never know if something would have happened or if her boy would have had a bad reaction to one, but she feels very at peace with her decision and she just has not felt as comfortable with them with this particular child. And I think that's great.
Whew - sorry i'm so longwinded but i'm a bit passionate about this topic and I don't like how judgemental people can be for people's decisions on either side!!!
I'm fine with immunizing. I actually haven't researched it that much, but I trust my doctors.
funny you should ask this question now! I just took my boys (3 1/2 and 2 1/2) for their first shots last week. My family has a history of reactions. anyway, I don't agree with immunizing so much so fast. I know many docs who don't immunize their kids by 2. I think every person should research and decide for themselves what to do. For me, I chose to wait until my kids were 2 and I will do that with every kid I have.
I am a big believer in vaccines. Every year they save 30,000 lives in the US alone. My son has been diagnosed with autism and I still believe that vaccines don't cause autism. Even if they did, I would rather have a kid with autism than a dead kid.
If you choose not to vaccinate at least be smart enough to hang out with people who do vaccinate, then you will have some herd immunity. Most outbreaks of measles in the US occur in low income preschool aged kids and homeschooled kids - two populations that are less likely to be immunized. Since it was mentioned in an earlier comment, measles can cause blindness, pneumonia and encephalitis and the risk of death is much higher for children under 5. From the WHO: “An estimated 242 000 people, the majority of them children, died from measles in 2006” over 95% of those deaths occur in poor countries. Shall we discuss diphtheria? Between 5% and 10% of diphtheria patients die, even if properly treated (WHO). Mumps? Not as fatal as some of the others but is a major cause of deafness, also causes infertility and miscarriage in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Polio? 1 out of 100 people are paralyzed and 5-10% of them die. Chickenpox is relatively benign in children, but may be complicated by pneumonia and encephalitis in adults (WHO). I could go on and on but I think that is enough fun for one day. I am so glad that we live in a time when we have vaccines and we don’t expect to loose a few of our children to these diseases!
Not freaked in the least. I don't think having a child immunized is going to predispose a child to having autism. It's not fun at all to go to the doctor's office with them and have them done. But I would rather at least try to prevent something than doing nothing and then reacting. Immunizations are fine in my book.
There is a reason we do not fight as many life-threatening diseases in this country...IMMUNIZATIONS. The risk of things like autism are extremely low and it is one of the most over-diagnosed and incorrectly diagnosed illnesses. If you have any concerns do some accurate research like checking out the CDC website (Center for Disease Control).
I would just like to remind you all that this is not to try and talk anyone into thinking another way, I am just curious as to peoples opinions, and why they do what they do. I would hope we would all steer clear of harsh judgement, or pushing your opinions on somebody else. Thank you. :)
I know that I can be pretty opinionated about certain things, immunizations being one of them. And I know that I may come off abrasive, as in my last comment. If you'd like to read why, please read this:
http://meredithanderic.blogspot.com/2008/07/soapboxes.html
Thanks!
I have not entirely made up my mind about it yet. But neither of my kids are immunized. I have a serious aversion to immunizing infants, but that's just me. Whether or not i'll immunize my girls before they go into school is yet to be decided.
I have a brother-in-law that studied for several months with one of the top vaccine experts in the U.S. and they do not immunize their kids. I could tell you why, but I won't get into it. Needless to say, it at least put me off of immunization for the time being.
(For those of you who know my in laws, I'm referring to the doctor, not the chiropractor.)
Hey Jen, good question. Thanks for your previous thoughts, too. I think we can all relate. I'm actually a little on the freaked side of the immunization issue. I have no idea if this has any medical support, but I just feel better about spacing them out. If there are several shots I've had them do one or a few the first visit then I come back a month later and do the rest. I just feel like it may be a shock to their system or something. Of course millions of kids have been fine doing them all at once, but I'll do anything for my own peace of mind.
p.s. wanted to ask, does your sister have mary kay stuff at home or do I have to order online?
I'm not freaked out about immunizations, my children have never had any reactions to them & they are all happy & healthy children (young adults)... immunizations have saved 1 000's & 1 000's of lives, they have wiped out many dreaded diseases! Your children are exactly that yours, do what you feel is right!
I am sorry if I came off as harsh. This issue is one that I feel very strongly about. It is something that I don’t think of as something that I have an “opinion” about. It is like if someone asked if you have an opinion about the truthfulness of your religion or if you have an opinion about the location of your home or gravity or something. For me the evidence of the benefits of immunizations to world health are overwhelming. We are so lucky to live in a place where a subject like this can be debated with only distant memories of disease and death. I am sorry if I offended anyone. At the end of the day we all try to do what we feel is best for our families.
I didn't direct my last comment at any of you in-particular! I think discussion is wonderful! I love it when we can learn from each-other, Marie your insights and stats were actually really fascinating! Thanks everyone for sharing!
I don't have kids, but I am all for immunizations. I think we have them because God inspired and helped people to figure out how to create them. People used to die all the time for things that now can be prevented. I work for the health department and from what I see and have learned, it's so important. Of course every parent has the right to do what they feel is best. I just think that for my future kids, it will be worth protecting them from the risk no matter how great or small. Also, from what I understand, many immunizations are injecting antibodies, not the actual disease (antibodies are what your body creates in response to a specific disease to avoid contracting it again). Of course, it seems you have many nurse friends that may correct me if I'm wrong! :) Do what you feel is best; obviously you have your kids' well-being in mind.
I believe in immunizing my kids, BUT with a qualifier. I don't do flu shots, chicken pox vaccine, or the CPV (or whatever) for girls. First of all, the people who I've known who've gotten flu shots, spend the next week or two feeling sick & gross - isn't that about the same amount of time as actually GETTING the flu???? The chicken pox vaccine, I knew a little boy when I was doing pre-school who got the chicken pox shot & then we had a chicken pox outbreak, the boy who was vaccinated ended up getting chicken pox THREE times. I've come to find out that the immunization does NOT guarantee you won't get it, so then what's the point??? (although it does supposedly stop you from getting shingles which are pretty miserable). Finally the new vaccination for girls, I don't want my daughter to get cervical cancer, BUT "new" vaccines make me nervous as does any new medication, a lot of times they don't find out about side effects until like 10-20 years down the road - that scares me!
WoW!! so many great comments and all good for me to hear since I have a 6 week old and she's got an appt. coming up soon. Thanks everyone for your comments. Jen, I love your blog!!
I have immunized at a slightly slower pace. I feel like I have been talked into it (Immunizing)but I do trust my Dr - I would trust her with my life, therefore I trust her with my kids who are more important to me than myself.
I think it's way way way more scary to not immunize. How does it work when you tell your doctor you aren't doing it? I didn't know we really had a choice! The shots aren't fun, but within five minutes your kid usually forgets about the pain!
I think it's way way way more scary to not immunize. How does it work when you tell your doctor you aren't doing it? I didn't know we really had a choice! The shots aren't fun, but within five minutes your kid usually forgets about the pain!
Okay, I wasn't going to comment but a previous post brought up one of my own soap boxes. I do believe in vaccinations, I am a pediatric nurse and won't go into all of the reasons other than to agree with the facts that have been stated in previous comments. What I wanted to comment about is the HPV vaccination that is related to cervical cancer. HPV is human papilloma virus and is a sexually transmitted disease (not just another virus). It blows my mind that the pharmaceutical company that produces this vaccine never mentions this small fact and has many mothers believing that all young girls are at risk of HPV. Simply not true. I get so angry every time I watch one of those commercials. I could go on but the diatribe may never end.
All in all I support childhood immunizations.
I'm extremely cautious, although all my children have their immunizations (Paige is a little behind). When Paige (my third child) was three months, I just had a very anxious feeling. I went to the doctor, and of course, he thought I was completely crazy and really encouraged me to get the shots and assured me that everything would be fine. I ignored my bad feeling and she really struggled after the shots.
All my babies have had small fevers and are fussy for a few days, but this was SO different. I would say that she was really "off" for a solid 2 weeks, but probably not back to "normal" for 3-4 weeks. Her sleeping patterns were completely off, she struggled with keeping food down and wouldn't eat a lot of the time (very unusual for her, not so unusual for my Macy), and she would just start screaming bloody murder all of a sudden. The screaming would happen at different times - sleeping, awake, eating, changing a diaper - it didn't seem to be set off my a single activity. I even had people commenting to me that she had changed. As far as I could tell, everything else in her life remained unchanged. The only thing that I could think of was the immunizations.
I'm not trying to convince anyone that they should change their mind based on this one experience. In the end, I don't think any permanent damage was done. As a result, she will still get all of her immunizations, but at a much slower pace. I am ashamed that I ignored my impression to take it more slowly. I think that every child, and every round of immunizations is different. And I definitely approach each one individually.
None of us enjoys having to take our kids to get them immunized, but we know it's for their good as well as those around our kids. I recently had an experience where my 5-year-old had his kindergarten shots-5 of them at the same visit! He was terribly ill for several days and wasn't himself for a couple of weeks. In retrospect, I think I would have decreased the number of shots (2?) at a time,and spaced the rest out over a couple of months. Five was way too many at once for my little guy! I feel so bad, he really did suffer. (and so did I) I think you just have to go with your gut-mommy is supposed to know best-right??
I am for immunizations because of the diseases that have been nearly irradicated in our country because of them. In fact, a lot of diseases that are "making a comeback" are because they are coming into the country through un-immunized illegal immigrants.
I am also a believer in the flu vaccine. People suffer and die from the flu every year. And after having a nasty case of RSV in a newborn, my kids, hubby and I get the flu vaccine and we have yet to get the flu (knock on wood). I wish they had an RSV vaccine!
As for the HPV vaccine--I was really bothered by it at first, too, but the more I have read about it, I think I'd get my girls vaccinated with it. It's a disease that often has no symptoms, and can be transmitted through touch, not just sexual intercourse. Honestly, in todays sexually charged world, even if my sweet girls are not exposed to these things (heaven forbid), their future husbands might have a past that includes being exposed to the HPV virus...and they might not even know they carry it. I'd rather protect my girls from any possible infection, than ignore it.
I totally agree with Jacqui on the whole HPV issue. Even though I want my kids to be virgins until they get married if there were a H.I.V. vaccine I'd get it. I mean why not? Oh, FYI they do have a RSV vaccine it's just that it is very costly and usually just preterm babies and babies that aren't healthy get it.
I'm with kaydi on the HPV thing. It SOOO ticks me off that the commercials make it seem like EVERY girl is at risk for HPV, when it's only sexually transmitted. Talk about not having an important piece of information!
NOT a believe in the flu vaccine and consistently turn it down every time. None of my kids nor us have had it and never will. I echo the chicken pox sentiments as well - who cares if you happen to get it - and yes most people i know that are so faithful at getting the flu vaccine usually seem to suffer the "flu" afterwards so why do they keep doing it. I think so many people are so easily persuaded in this country. This country is very good at the "fear factor" - scaring you all into thinking that one "risk" is less or better than other "risks". With that being said I'm not against vaccines per se (at least most of them). But i am against doctors pressuring their patients and inferring they are a bad parent if they decline - giving them a hard time if they decline or if they want to wait until a later time; schools giving you a hard time if you don't have every single one or threatening to kick your kid out of school because they're 2 months behind on getting their boosters! Sometimes I feel like we live in a communist country - and most of the people all bow their head, turn off their own brains and independent thinking and follow the crowds!!!
EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE THIS KIND OF A DECISION ON THEIR OWN - and praying about it for extra guidance for your specific children wouldn't hurt either. Don't let anyone persuade you or pressure you to think anything differently!
I don't have girls, but i didn't know about the HPV outside of commercials. Scary how easy it can be to trust a commercial. Thanks Kaydi for the facts!
Well we aren't suppose to trust commercials we should research things ourselves. My point is that it's not about it being a std to me it's a matter of preventing something that may happen someday. I know none of us want to think of our girls having unprotected sex before marriage, but 67% of girls do and why not protect them from something? I'm not saying we should be told to get it I'm just saying for me I think it's a smart thing to do. This "std" can lead to not being able to have babies.....
Just to clarify, I'm not against the HPV virus, I think in a sexually charged world it is a good thing to have, what I don't like about it is the way that it is portrayed.
Flu Shot: It seems like those few years that I (and/or my children) have gotten a flu shot, we've been even more sick than other years. One year, I even got a strain of the all-out flu (I was down for a week). The doctor looked at me and said that I had a strain that was not part of the vaccine. We haven't done it for the past four years, and I think it's been a good decision. Again...It's just so personal and individual. This seems to be the right decision for our family.
Wow, love the conversation going on here! Very interesting comments...
I can see both sides really- we go very very slow with immunizations. I only do 2 at a time max. And I don't start until my babies are about 18 months. And I do bypass some. I feel better about doing it that way, so I do. It is hard to find a doctor who doesn't guilt trip you, because as sad as it is- they DO make money off of you and I. I won't go into that...but it's sad to me. Anyway, I am very thankful for immunizations, but I definitely am picky how I do them. The end. :)
My husband is in medical school. Two of his teacher's are married and also doctors. There children have small cases of autism, and they have read a lot of studies on immunizing and autism. Here is what they have concluded. Immunizations are not the cause of autism, they are a trigger. So this means that your child has to be pre disposed to autism for the immunization to even matter. This is also just the opinion of two very educated doctors.
Also, the link to autism and immunizations is only found in the MMR immunizations.
And I agree with your friend chrystal's comment that I would be freaked not to get them. They are there for a reason.
Other than the flu vaccine. My family will be staying away from that one. It has been my experience that you get a mild version of the flu from that vaccine, and I would just rather not be sick!
Wow! Just tuning in! I am NOT freaked out, plain and simple. And I personally don't think that Jameson's autism came from him getting his immunizations.
Wow- lots of great comments. I am a little freaked out but plan on still getting Taylor immunized beginning at a later date. He is almost 4 months and hasn't had any immunizations yet. There are also a couple that I will not have him get (chicken pox, hep B, flu and hopefully try to space out the MMR if that is possible).
I wish i would have stuck to my guns and opted out of chicken pox and stuff - but the schools REALLY give you a hard time if you're missing any of them (minus the flu - who cares about that one) so i finally caved to make that less of a fight. Funny thing even though one of my kids got the chicken pox my doctor still freaks out every time he sees he didn't get it (until i remind him to check his stupid chart to see that he already got the 'disease') and the schools already put up some resistance when they see he didn't get that one. So i can tell I will constantly be battling them and bringing in photos of my pock covered baby to prove why he didn't get the shot. But really - a parent has a right to not get whatever ones they don't want - so why do doctors and schools try to overrule their decisions!? If i could start over and have all my kids over again, I wouldn't immunize right away either. Not sure if i'd wait until 2 like my husband wishes, but I'd just wait a few months and do them a few at a time. And main reason why i'd do it - just to spite doctors and everyone else who thinks they know better than me! But that's just the rebel in me. :)
I just reread my comment and before people freak out about how i ended that last comment, let me clarify. I would still vaccinate my kids if i could do it over (cause i really don't have a problem with most of them) but I'd do it at a slower pace like other commenters have stated - and yes the reactions from my doctors would be a BONUS but mostly it would be for the well being of my child of not getting so many at once! Just so people don't think my spite overrules how much i want to look out for the well being of my children!
I agree with the slower approach. My son did have an adverse reaction to the combination shot - Pediarix. It is not as rare as we are told by the doctors. Needless to say I am waiting until he is 2 to continue- that is when my pediatrician actually vaccinates his own children. I guess at 2 the immune system is almost fully develpoed and at 3 yrs the brain is 80% developed. By then the neurological damage that toxins like aluminum and formaldahyde can do on the brain decrease. Check out the ingredients in some of the vaccines - pretty scary stuff. Aborted fetus lung cells are in chickenpox, cow serum/blood, chicken embryos- so any egg allergies in the family watch out...antibiotics, yeast, etc.- Not something I would inject a small infant with- now that I know.
Wow. Talk about an interesting conversation. I personally am all for people making educated decisions for their family.
Thanks for the great photo shoot this morning...I can't wait to see the pictures. Sophie has been asleep all afternoon!
What you need is a doctor who is not in private practice. One who works for a larger medical facility say like....the Mayo Clinic perhaps? Just a place where doctors are there to be doctors and not trying to run a business on the side. That way the advice (tests, procedures, surgeries, and immunizations) are coming because it is something they believe you or your child really need and not just a way to charge you or your insurance company. Tough to find I know but coming from someone who has had years of medical needs and several surgeries at several places can tell you, IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE. And remember medicine is an art and not a science, if you have any questions or concerns EVER...GET A SECOND OPINION. Good luck.
my sister reacted to the DPT shot. she had coughing fits which lead to seizures where she ended up in a coma while in the hospital and as a result has cerebral palsy. She was 3 months old.
It is your responsibilty as a parent to research and know about things that will affect your child, immunizations included. Do you know how an immunization shot works? research long term affects, then decide if you want to take the risk.
You can't just trust everything a doctor tells you just because they are a doctor.
I agree with a previous comment about fear and our society being fed information and lead to doing things by fear.
If you research about things like measles, mumps, and diptheria you would find that yes, the USA had a decline in the disease around the time the vaccine was made available, but so did Europe and Asia, where they did not vaccinate. It was more about awareness of how the disease spread and the awareness of hygiene and the change of living conditions.
It's our responsibility, as parents, to research and make smart choices for our kids. For some this is to vaccine as the doctor tells them to, for others it may not to be. Everybody can decide for themselves. That's the beauty of our rights as Americans!
Anonymous three comments ago: Do you live in Utah? If so, who is your doctor? I've been searching for a doctor who will understand that I want to take it more slowly. Please email me if you don't mind: gremily2@aol.com.
Tiffunny: I love the rebel in you! I think my first reaction is "You wanna bet" whenever anyone tells me something that I HAVE to do. I guess I'm still 5 years old in some ways. :)
I think that's my problem Emily - I haven't outgrown my rebellious streak and it surfaces everytime someone tells me what I HAVE to do! But i guess the pushover part of me still takes control in the long run and I cave in a lot of the time. This has been a great "discussion" post and I hope everyone has come out a little bit more understandable of people on both sides of the fence!! We all just want what's best and that's what is most important right?
PS - Do i win some type of prize for being comment #50? Sure it was my 5th comment but that shouldn't count against me right? :)
About finding a doctor not in Private Practice - I had a WONDERFUL pediatrician when we were living in Las Vegas who had a practice with one other doctor. He was REALLY supportive of letting parents choose, for example, when I took my daughter in for a well check they said she had a little bit of an ear infection, but that it looked like it was almost gone & since it wasn't bothering her I could either choose to give her the antibiotics or not (of course I could call if it got worse). I LOVED being consulted, they knew that I try to not over medicate my kids & were supportive of that. I was SO sad when we moved & leave our doctor. His office also had separate entrances for well kids & sick kids as well as separate exam rooms, so your healthy kids don't get sick from going to the doctors. How great is that???
Welsh family needs to share her doctor's name in Vegas for those of us who still live there!!!!
I could get on a soap box and discuss this one for hours!!
Bottom line: every mother has a special right given to her from above to make these decisions for her children. Doctors know so much more than us, but they DON'T have the real inside knowledge that tells us what is right for our own children.
I feel so blessed to live in a time when we don't have to rely on just one doctor's opinion; we can see the opinions of many educated people online any time we want. We can read very convincing arguments on both sides of the issue any time we want to. In fact, I've read official statements that disagree with almost everything that has already been posted here. Obviously, not every "expert" can be right. Truth is truth, and the Spirit can help us recognize it even if we don't have the training medical staff have had.
Aren't we lucky?
Emily - I used to take my kids to Mike Johnson at Family First Pediatrics in South Jordan (I THINK that was his name). He was very good at discussing alternative schedules. We really liked going to him for all the kids.
FREAKED but know they are necessary. I don't however immunize my kiddos until they are 3. Most kids are diagnosed w/autism around 3 and I would hate it if my kid was autistic and had been immunized. I would always wonder "was it because I immunized them?" I wait until the liklihood of autism is passed then I do it at my own pace to have them caught up by kindergarten. I hate that they immunize brand new babies (1 hour old) against STD's. How unnecessary is that?!?
Post a Comment