Thursday, May 19, 2011

Not just "getting by"

****this is a lot of rambling. a lot.
Some days I feel like life just carries me along on a wave of craze, and other I feel like I actually have some semblance of control over my own life. And my own reactions. It just depends on the day. Lately I've been back and forth from day to day. I feel like I am coming into my own when it comes to Motherhood. Learning that I will never ever be a perfect mother is actually a little freeing. I know that as my children grow older I grow with them. Realizing I actually HAVE learned a thing or two along way. Makes me feel good. But at the same time (opposition in all things right?) realizing some weaknesses are still weaknesses. Frustrating. I think I may always deal with patients, with not living "in the moment", with not allowing one tiny thing to make all of my other stresses come to a head, with not always loving it when my kids try cuddling with me (this one was a shocker to me). There are many other things, but you get the picture. I know I talk about motherhood a lot. Maybe because right now, and for the next 16 years it's what my largest portion of time is spent on. It's something I love, sometimes loath, but mostly love.

I remember when Maddie was two, I seriously thought motherhood was like the easiest thing in the whole world. I couldn't understand why other mom's would ever say it was hard. Then she turned 3. And I had more children. Then they all got older. It got harder and I started to understand. I suppose I will continue to understand as my kids continue to get older and we deal with all kinds of different challenges. I'm not going to lie, this scares me. It scares me that I'll never get past these same weaknesses that seem to plague me....how can I???

I feel like when Tae was diagnosed with Type 1 we turned a corner in our parenting. We had another experience about a month earlier where something similar happened- parenting wasn't just going to "happen" or come easily. Not if we wanted to be decent parents anyway. Parenting is so much work. It's something I have to gear myself up for each day. Another thing I didn't expect. And when baby Maddie was still a babe, I didn't have to do. Does everyone have to do that? Or do some people just naturally excel at being mothers? I think my mom did. It just seemed to fit her. When she was diagnosed the world just stopped for us. Nothing else mattered except the well being of our child. It felt good to shed the other worries the world had placed upon us....at least for those three days in the hospital. Since her life is truly now fragile- not that everyone's isn't but we KNOW hers is- we seem to take the parenting role a little more seriously. I'm not going to lie, sometimes when I take it more seriously the times I don't do what I think I should be doing a lot harder fall. My point is: I take parenting more seriously, it's more rewarding, but it feels a lot harder.

I know I don't make a lot of sense. I just sat down and started typing what came to my mind. I didn't think before hand what I'd write, and I don't proof read.

Amen.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Amen.
I have to gear myself up. In fact, maybe I should gear myself up more consciously. I've been thinking about how I mother a lot lately. And haven't come to many conclusions. Except that I should do better. I guess I come to that conclusion a lot. It's hard.
Amen.

Karm said...

Amen.
We recently adopted a family theme "We do hard things" for that very reason. We realized parenting wasn't going to just happen and we needed to start putting some serious effort, thought and prayer into the things we were teaching them both intentionally and unintentionally.

By the way I wanted to say thank you for the post you did several months ago regarding media and turning it off at a certain time of day. It prompted me to evaluate our own media time and to make adjustments. I can't tell you how many times thinking of your example in this has encouraged me so THANK YOU!

Emily said...

What is it with age 3??? It's a killer! With each kid, I love having my adoring, polite, darling little toddler. Then 3 hits, and they morph into something with their own mind. What is it with our kids having their own minds??? It's a killer!

I love this, and I've heard it from you before, but I love hearing it again. I think of you so often. I look up to you as a mother who "parents with a purpose." I admire your drive and dedication. I think of your kids standing up in church and reciting "Joseph Smith's First Vision." That takes purpose. That takes dedication. You are giving your children a foundation in the things that really matter and will carry them through all of life's ups and downs. It is the most loving, tender gift.

I know you didn't write this because you were searching for validation or fishing for praise or hoping that the people who comment will leave a comment even longer than the original post (haha), and I don't know how this turned into a "Jen is Awesome" Session. I love you. I love your kids. I don't know very many women who don't have to work at mothering. It surprised me too. I am constantly evaluation and making changes. I am definitely a better mother because of people like you-people who are honest and trying and succeeding beautifully. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Jen,

I absolutely identify with what you have written here. In just the way you have written it. Parenting is hard work. I have to gear myself up for it. I have to calm myself when one of my children does something I just told them 10 seconds ago not to do. I think you were born to parent. Even if you don't feel like it. Your kids love you. And even though we haven't seen each other in a long time, I love you. And, I am grateful for you and the things that you write, because I feel them too. And, slowly, I am getting back into writing. I owe part of that to you. Thank you.

Meredith said...

Ditto.

But you rock.