Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The gift of childhood

This is just one reason I love photographs. I don't remember this moment of being read to by my oh so young, dashing father. But seeing it makes me feel like I do. It does make the memories of my childhood flood into my mind and heart. I remember one afternoon laying on my parents bed next to my dad in Payson, I was probably 8. We were listening to the theme song from Chariots of Fire. As we listened he asked me what I thought of when I listened to the music. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I do remember talking about the stars in the night sky. For some reason this is a memory I've chosen to hold safe in my heart. A simple, yet for me, intimate moment. I know I felt safe, I felt loved. I felt that I was being asked my opinion and it mattered even though I was a child. Then I think back to our trips to Disneyland, do I remember that? Yes, parts. Did I feel like I did while laying on that bed listening to music? Nope.

When I see this image, I simply feel. All good things.



Sometimes I forget how much the small moments count. The moments where I stop what I'm doing and look at the child talking to me- in the eyes, on their level. I forget that I'm responsible this time for creating those tender moments with my own children. Ones that are simple. Moments, and hopefully memories where they will feel safe, feel loved and feel like they matter. They matter more than anything I am doing. Moments that when they are 34 when they think back to those moments they feel like a child all over again. Now it's my turn to give the gift that I was given.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Look at you and your sweet dad. I love it that he still has his tie on. And what a sweet memory. One of my favorite memories involved my mom and "paint nails" (as our daughters would say). My mom always had her nails painted when we were little. She used to keep them her nail polish in the refrigerator, and she always had bright shades of red. My dad had this huge (well, it was huge to me when I was little) leather chair. I remember sitting in it, on my mother's lap. When she was done with her nails, she would paint ours. I also remember her lying in bed with us, using her beautiful hands and red nails to "tickle" our arms to calm us down to sleep. She would sing us folk songs while she did it.

Thanks for getting me thinking...about my own memories and about how I can create more of these types of memories for my children. Love you!!!

Jana said...

It's so hard for me to remember that the little moments are what my kids will remember, the feelings of being safe and loved and important...so I have to make them feel that way all the time, not just when it's convenient!!
p.s. I think Annie likes your blog music.

C'est La Vie said...

this is so sweet, what a great picture, and what amazing memories. sometimes i can't tell if i have an actual memory or if it's something I saw in a picture.

ps i saw on fb you said you updated the blog and you said once a month. my blog says that you haven't updated in 3 months! i'm so sad about this

LeMira said...

Thanks for reminding me that what I CAN do is much more important than what I can't do, or afford to do, for my kiddo.

Meredith said...

Time for me to give Eric the camera for a change!!!

I always love reading your blog. You're so insightful. :)

Kayla Rice said...

That picture is so sweet!

Kayla Rice said...

That picture is so sweet!

Bryce & Cherise said...

I love that picture!