Start off by getting kids up and going....but first a hello to our friend Type 1 Diabetes. Ok, so it's not our friend, but still....
Type 1 diabetes is a chronic (lifelong) disease that occurs when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin to properly control blood sugar levels. Type 1 diabetes can occur at any age, but it is most often diagnosed in children, adolescents, or young adults. Type 1 has NO CURE. Therefore, insulin is needed to stay alive.
Insulin is a hormone produced by special cells, called beta cells, in the pancreas, an organ located in the area behind your stomach. Insulin is needed to move blood sugar (glucose) into cells, where it is stored and later used for energy. In type 1 diabetes, these cells produce little or no insulin.
Without enough insulin, glucose builds up in the bloodstream instead of going into the cells. The body is unable to use this glucose for energy. This leads to the symptoms of type 1 diabetes.
The exact cause is unknown, but most likely there is a viral or environmental trigger in genetically susceptible people that causes an immune reaction. The body's white blood cells mistakenly attack the insulin-producing pancreatic beta cells.
There is a lot of information out there on Type 1 and Type 2. Most people don't realize that Type 1 is very different from Type 2. With Type 1, she can eat whatever she wants, as long as she is dosed with insulin for the carbs she eats. If she didn't have access to insulin, she would most likely die within 2 weeks. While it is a deadly disease, if it's managed properly she can really lead a long, healthy, normal life.
OUR DAY BEGINS:

I bust out the measuring stuff. Everything she eats needs to be measured or weighed to make sure we give her the proper amount of insulin to go with the cabs she eats.
We document every time we poke her little fingers...approx. 6-8 times a day. We then record her blood sugar levels, and treat according to the highs or lows.
Our handy "clicker" as Tae calls it. She gets a "spikey" in the finger with her clicker, then we test the blood on her meter.

My handy diabetic cupboard... consists of:
She picks her finger and either pokes herself, or has one of us do it. Then see what her blood sugar reads.
She's actually 100% brave. Not a tear since we got home from the hospital almost 2 months ago. The we calculate what she's eating and add up the carbs. Hoping she'll eat everything we're guessing she will. Then give her two shots, one of the long acting insulin and one of the short, for her breakfast. Either in the bum, arm, leg or stomach.

She loves drawing and coloring so so much. She'll wait while I measure and add.
Then 2 hours later we check her again. If she acts strange in any way, we check her. If she wants to eat, we check her. If her blood sugar was low, we check her every 15 minutes until it goes up. If she's sick we check her quite often because she runs the risk of going high, which leads us to checking for keytones in her urine. The fun never stops. Diabetes does not sleep. Luckily she's doing extremely well. She's a champion.






12 comments:
You are all amzing! I'm SO glad she is still not crying about the poking!
Oh my goodness. So much work! What a blessing for you and for her that she can be so accepting of everything.
You're amazing. I've been thinking of you today for some reason. I admire you so much!
ha ha!! I just realized I was posting as my husband!! That probably seemed creepy. :)
xoxo Ann R. :)
I'm so glad that you posted this! And this is just the first 15 minutes!!! You and Jasper are "Awesome" (pretend like I'm DJ Lance when I say that-Wow! I need to get out more). Seriously, you guys are handling this beautifully with such positive attitudes, and I know that it is rubbing off on Tae. I know Tae is an amazingly strong little girl, but I know that your attitude rubs off on her. You guys are just the best!!!
It's so amazing what you have to do! And it's so interesting to me to see it in this light, and not from the nurse's perspective like it usually is. I like being able to see a real "patient" and "patient's family" do what they are supposed to! It's not surprising that many people let their diabetes go uncontrolled, huh? Obviously there is SO much to track, measure, do....people get lazy, and it gets out of hand. You guys, though, are amazing and awesome and will never let that happen!
Tae's story reminds me of my little sister. My parents were told to take her home to die at six months. Every year that she has been alive has been a true testimony to me that she was blessed to have a mom who cared, loved, and patiently watched over her. It take someone incredibly special to care for a child with a trial like Tae's. Like Emily said, a lot will give up but Tae is so incredibly blessed to have a family like yours surrounding her. Keep it up my amazing friend!
I meant Meredith:)
Wow-that's a lot to do-You are awesome! ...but I'm sure when it comes to your own child you just DO IT without hesitation. What a tough little girl!
Isn't it amazing how life changes? Remember those posts about how overwhelmed you felt, and how worried you were about Being A Good Mom?
Those thoughts have just melted away, because now you Know you are a good Mom. You watched over your kids, you thought about their needs, you made, and are making, sure they get the care they need.
We Can Do Hard Things. (LeMira's Motto)
Jen, you're amazing! Tae is a tough girl; a fighter. You know, one day I hope she gets an insulin pump so she doesn't have to poke herself so much.
This just breaks my heart! What a precious, brave little princess! You are an amazing mother Jen!
Post a Comment