A few years ago when I lived in Colorado, we did a service project for children in India, through Rising Star Outreach. It was one of those life changing experiences. We collected various things they need there, one being bandages for people with leprosy. There are still an estimated one million cases of people who suffer with leprosy because the government won't simply give out a few small inexpensive pills to children, which by the way, cost less than $1.50. These people often get only ONE bandage for their entire life. They'll have to pick which wound is the most deserving of their only bandage. These people are then shunned. Many become homeless and alone, cast into the land of the Untouchables. Check out the site, they are building schools, and making a difference. You can even sponsor a child... it's pretty amazing.
The director of this amazing organization spoke to us all that day. She was amazing. There was one story she told that I have never ever forgotten. I wish I knew what book she got it out of- I would buy it in a heartbeat. I even emailed her and asked about it but she couldn't remember. It was about a volunteer who worked with Mother Theresa...so you can imagine how many books there are out there about her. Sooo, I will paraphrase. Heavily.
There was a woman who had the privledge to work along side Mother Theresa in an Orphanage in India. She said that Mother Theresa had a special gift, among many, of knowing when she entered a room which child would survive the night and which wouldn't. Each day she would come in and point out a handful of babies and children who she felt wouldn't make it through that night. Then she asked that each worker (if there were enough of them) take one baby and hold them. Simply hold them. tenderly touch their sad skin, whisper kind, loving words in their tiny ears. Love them. So this woman did. She picked up a small baby. They rocked. She sang. She looked her in the eyes. She loved.
That night as she cradled this child in her arms, this small baby slowly drifted into the next life. She stated "That was the Holiest Day of my life".
And so, this story is a reminder to me always, to love. Not only to love my own children- who I will hold a little tighter tomorrow. But others around me who may not be getting the love all humans long for, live for, deserve.
"We can do no great things; only small things with great love" Mother Theresa






10 comments:
What a "pick-me-up!" Thanks.
Oh my goodness...the tears. Thank you so much for this. It is exactly what I needed.
You are so good at loving. I think you have a gift for sensing when people are hurting, and you have the ability to ease that pain a bit. Thank you for being such a great, loving, accepting friend.
(One of my very favorite quotes!)
You made me cry. Thanks.
Yeah, ditto on the tears...
Wish there was a quick way to distribute our good fortune to the rest of the world!
Love that quote. One of my faves. Wonderful post and beautiful reminder. Thank you. I've been bothered by the amount of money spent on Christmas gifts--stuff, mostly--and how it could be used better for those who truly need it. It's a tough balance and I'm not sure how to come to terms with it.
Wow. That's an amazing story! Thanks for sharing that Jen!
I love it!
I read this a few days ago and have thought about so many times!! Thanks for sharing. :)
Jen!
I remember that retreat! That was quite a powerful presentation she gave, I remember there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Thanks for sharing it with everyone. :)
Trina
Wow, that is inspirational. And Jen, you such a gift of writing poetically. I love that about you!
Post a Comment