Saturday, December 15, 2012

december thoughts

Last month when I was in AZ  I had a conversation with Angie about the temple.  She said her stake pres. had given a talk and asked everyone to think about how they used their time.  Do you have time to watch tv?  Do you have time to excersie? To get on Facebook?  To read a book?  To go shopping?  Then you have time to go to the temple.  This really hit me.  So I decided to start going to the temple once a week.  I go to a 5:30am session.  It's the best thing I've done in years.  It has already started to change my life. My heart.  My spirit.  I can't say enough how much I'm thankful for the gospel.  After the heart wrenching events of the school shooting in Connecticut I can't stop thinking about my children.  About how your life can change in a split second.  And then you no longer have you had, or your normal will never be again.  These two things have made me re-evaluate what really is important. Our relationships with people, especially our families.  It's what is valuable above all else.  It's what we'll have beyond this earthly life.  We have one chance on this earth.  One life.  What will I do with it?  Will I spend it worrying about how much money we make, how big our house is, how much chocolate I can eat, what other people think of me, or what how my roots look.  :) I've been trying to take a moment when I'm driving or at home to really SEE the earth.  The small moments that occur between kids as they come out of school. Humans interacting.  Helping, loving, serving, caring.

Yo.  

2 comments:

Karen Rowley said...

Beautiful thoughts Jen, and so true. I'm glad you have started looking at life with new eyes and heart. It happens often when something heart-wrenching happens and I'm grateful nothing has happened to you. The Temple is a wonderful place to go often to feel the Spirit and what is important in life. I hope your new outlook continues to make you happier. You have a blessed life .

Andrea said...

Well, when you put it that way... :) I should have time for the temple if I have time or all (okay, SOME of those things)! I just can't go to the temple when I'd normally do those things (after Ethan is asleep, and Brandon isn't home). I need to prioritize my life and make the time, even if that means 5:30 am :)