Thursday, March 22, 2012

motherhood= guilt. but it shouldn't.

I seem to be having the same conversation with moms these days.  Ones that consist of discussing the guilt that accompanies motherhood.  It's easy to look at guilt with despise and wish it would go away.  But really I think guilt is our tool.  It's sometimes what pushes us towards becoming a better person.  But sometimes it can just make us want to give up.  Because when you're a mom, you do the same thing every day, hoping we'll do better than before. But still, we come up short.  Every day.  I hate self help books.  I hate them.  Every time I read them I feel like a failure.  I feel completely overwhelmed, and quite frankly annoyed that these people feel so proud of themselves that they want to tell me how to change myself.  OK, maybe that's not totally it, but I do think that sometimes.  It's just that I DO want to change myself, and when I know what I'm supposed to do change, you'd think it'd then be easy to change.  It's not.  At all.  In fact, it seems to be a lifelong process.  One that as a matter of fact, I may never actually achieve.  Seems unfair.  That I'm so human.  That I can't even be completely the mom I want to be for one entire day.  We give up so much to be a good mother.  To love our children, because we all know liking our children does not always come easily.  But, that's not talked about is it?  Why? Why can't we just talk about why it's hard.  We all talk about how fat we are now, and how we never get any sleep, and how sometimes we go for a week with no shower.  OK, I would never admit to that...gross. Or how our boobs are so saggy now, or the hideous stretch marks that cover the skin that encases our wombs. We go through a lot physically.  We go through even more emotionally, spiritually and mentally.
I used to often go to bed guilt ridden.  I was exhausted from the day.  From the whining.  The constant whining.  And having to do everything for everyone.  Then I felt even guiltier for feeling like I shouldn't feel guilty.  What the.....Now that my children are getting older it's not so intense.  Thank goodness.  Because that my friend, was hard.  Now days we moms have blogs, and facebook and endless nanny 911 shows and neighbors and church and on and on. Everywhere we look we can see what "perfect" mom's surround us.  All because we read their posts, and look at their pictures.  What we can't see is what's behind the computer.  Or the smiling faces.  My guess is there are a lot of mom's like me.  Guilt ridden moms.  The despair plagued moms.  The mom's who cry themselves to sleep at night because it's too hard.  Because they don't feel like they're cut out to be a mom.  Because many days they don't even want to be a mom.  I feel like on my mission again where every small weakness was magnified ten fold.
This plague used to consume me much more than it does today.  Maybe because I gave up on the self help books.  Or because I decided, you know what, I'm going to just forgive myself and try again tomorrow.  Asking for the spirit to help me along this path.
Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom.  I do, with all my heart.  I love my children more than I thought I could ever love anything, or anyone.  And it grows with time.  Even when I didn't think my heart could grow anymore, it does.  Motherhood is rewarding in tiny moments.  In sometimes really silly moments.  Like when I teach them something and they actually get it.  Or when I see them from a distance and they are just....them.  And my heart melts.  Because they are mine.
So why are we so hard on ourselves?  I don't ever recall a time when Jasper flopped himself on our bed in tears and said "I'm just not a good dad!!" "I'm not cut out to be dad!"  That would be a sight though.  Why do we think we have to do everything so perfectly?  This is impossible.  It simply is.  The best we can do, is the best we can do. And that's OK.  In one of these conversations this week we talked about Matthew 5:48 which reads "Be ye therfore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect".  That's a lot of pressure people. But if you look at the footnotes, under perfect, is reads, "complete, finished, fully developed....potential to become"  Complete...finished...developed...potential.  We are all those things. If we are simply TRYING we are working towards perfection as it pertains to this scripture.  This scripture also references  3Nephi 19:29  "....because of their faith, that they may be purifies in me, that I may be in them as thou, Father, art in me, that we may be one".  So what these footnotes tell me about being perfect is that we TRY, and then that we through faith use the atonement of Jesus Christ to become one with God.  That God knows I will NEVER be perfect on my own.  Ever.  But what we lack, Christ will make up.  That I'm not yet complete, or finished, but I'm in the process.  That through Jesus Christ infinite and amazing atonement, my imperfections, can be made perfect. I know this is true.  Because even as I type those words, I feel the spirit.
We are simply visitors on this earth.  It's like a mini stop off.  But it often doesn't feel mini.  It can feel insurmountable.  I would like to tell you....be kind to yourself.  Allow yourself to feel what you feel.  If you feel guilt, feel it and then move forward.  If you have extreme guilt or depression, talk to someone about it.  It's nothing to ever be ashamed of.  If you need extra help, get it.  God knows this life will not be easy.  But the reward will be great.  Greater than we can ever comprehend.  Our children will not have a perfect mother.  Could someone else do a better job raising my children?  Probably.  But they're mine and I'm supposed to raise them.  So I better just do the best I can. Forgiving myself and then moving forward and trying harder.  Every day.

Please share your thoughts!!!!

***I never proof read.  I jump from third person to first person to 8th person.  :)  Sorry.

18 comments:

Ann said...

Thank you, Jen. I was thinking about you just today and needed that just tonight. I only met you once but love you dearly. Thank you for writing what we all feel. xoxo.

Ann said...

PS - I hate those books, too.

Children With Passports said...

I remember watching General Conference about 5 years ago and flopping on the bed afterwords and telling my husband that I was not doing anything right. He said, "I don't think that is what you are supposed to take away from General Conference." I think we get too wrapped up in the day to day. If I have one more old woman tell me to cherish my children I may just punch her in the jaw. What makes her think I'm not cherishing them???? If I didn't cherish my kids I would not have dark circles under my eyes and weigh 30 pounds more than I did before having them. These are my scars born from cherishing. I have sacrificed who I used to be because I CHERISH my kids. What I used to think of an accomplishment, reading a book, taking a class, learning something for me, now seems like a luxury and one I can't afford. There is too much to do for the improvement of my kids that I just have a hard time taking that time for myself. When I do, I feel guilt, but I shouldn't. I think we forget in the day to day the larger picture. The most important things are simply to show love to our kids, not spoil them, but love them and sometimes love is hard. I love my kids enough to tell them "no" and teach them the right. It is also important to show them how to have a healthy relationship with our spouse, which is quickly becoming a rarity in our world. It is important to show them how to give not just take, how to be a part of a family, of a bigger picture. I like that you posted this, because from where I'm sitting, you seem to have it all, and do everything beautifully! And it is a good reminder that as moms we really try to be perfect, fall short, but a quote I love is, Perfection is a journey not a destination. Now I need to figure out how to implement that in my own life! <3

Jen-ben said...

KIM, that was so beautifully written. Thank you!!!

Jen O said...

Oh my where to begin. It has been a hard couple of weeks for us, and jusorbit a little worse. I needed to read this tonight so thank you for posting this and taking a little pressure off of me. I don't know why we do this to ourself. The need to try and be perfect all the time and just not live life happy and to the fullest. I am grateful for your friendship. Thanks for making my night a little better!

Erica said...

I always say if people had to get a license to have a child than the population would die out pretty quickly! Someone may be able to raise my children better too but I feel no one could love them just like me. No one would love the smell of their skin like me or be able to know just how they like their eggs or a million other little things that I as their mother know. I find I have to just take one day at a time so I don't feel completely overwhelmed by all the things I'm not doing. I've been meaning to book them at the eye doctor for probably 3 months now. Often when Caitlyn is being particularly whiny I just think this is the youngest she will ever be!! And this is not life forever it is just for now. We all have our days where we want to run away screaming like our hair is on fire and then there are days where you get everything right and feel like supermom. Take the beat leave the rest. Loved your
scripture quotes. Wish I lived closer xoxo Erica

Shelly Geller said...

You have completely.let.me.down. All this time, I thought you were the perfect mom, and for you to admit that you are not....well....that is just down right devastating, because if you are not the perfect mother, I don't know anyone who is. And I'm not just saying that to float your boat because you are my bestie and because I love you. I think your kids have honestly, HONESTLY won the parent lottery. I for some reason don't feel much guilt about not being the perfect mom....only on the days that I am PMS'ing and yell and bite their heads off which is 10 days out of the month accounting for only 30% of their lives. . . so heck, I figure I am in the green;-). I kid I kid. I have experienced guilt for other things in parenting....like not keeping my child alive, so that I can certainly relate to feeling like I came up short.....but alas, like you said, all we can do is do our very best. I actually like self improvement books. I thrive off them. But maybe it's because I'm so humble...HAHA....but you've said it yourself, I take criticism well;-). I do wish many times I had more to give my kids....more resources, more attention, more energy more ability and time to teach. . . Love you. You may not be perfect, but you certainly are an awesome example of someone who's pretty darn close. Loves you.

Jana said...

Thanks, mate. ;)
And amen to Kim (children w/ passports)...I think "cherish" is a dirty word in my mind. Drives me crazy.
I used to be good at not feeling guilty, then I had two toddlers who drove me to insanity and now I feel bad for it.
So...I just want to click the "like" button because right now I'm in the middle of the guilt and insanity and have nothing wise to say about this, so I'll just let you do it since you're coming out the other side of the toddler years and I'm in the middle of them...

the Melvanator said...

I'm so far from being a great mother and Satan would love to help me see things his way. Can't let that happen!!!! He wants us to have doubt and that is his access point to us in our lives. I'm guilty of that for sure. He is the contradiction to Heavenly Fathers plan. His wonderful plan. That very plan has driven me completely crazy sometimes throughout my very long years. But then He provides for me, for us! You and me and all the millions of beautiful mothers out there. I often think of our Heavenly Mother and wonder how my choices make her feel, as my mother. But then I stop myself, I speak to her and thank her for her sweetness and patience and tell her how much I love her! I tell her not to worry about me! And I thank Heavenly Father for friends like you Jen, that have seen the "backstage" of my life and loved me through it all. You see my onstage performance and clap with the crowd! You cheer me on knowing what its really all about in my reailty. That's how I know you are a magnificent mother! Because yur my golden friend!

the Melvanator said...

I'm so far from being a great mother and Satan would love to help me see things his way. Can't let that happen!!!! He wants us to have doubt and that is his access point to us in our lives. I'm guilty of that for sure. He is the contradiction to Heavenly Fathers plan. His wonderful plan. That very plan has driven me completely crazy sometimes throughout my very long years. But then He provides for me, for us! You and me and all the millions of beautiful mothers out there. I often think of our Heavenly Mother and wonder how my choices make her feel, as my mother. But then I stop myself, I speak to her and thank her for her sweetness and patience and tell her how much I love her! I tell her not to worry about me! And I thank Heavenly Father for friends like you Jen, that have seen the "backstage" of my life and loved me through it all. You see my onstage performance and clap with the crowd! You cheer me on knowing what its really all about in my reailty. That's how I know you are a magnificent mother! Because yur my golden friend!

the Melvanator said...

I'm so far from being a great mother and Satan would love to help me see things his way. Can't let that happen!!!! He wants us to have doubt and that is his access point to us in our lives. I'm guilty of that for sure. He is the contradiction to Heavenly Fathers plan. His wonderful plan. That very plan has driven me completely crazy sometimes throughout my very long years. But then He provides for me, for us! You and me and all the millions of beautiful mothers out there. I often think of our Heavenly Mother and wonder how my choices make her feel, as my mother. But then I stop myself, I speak to her and thank her for her sweetness and patience and tell her how much I love her! I tell her not to worry about me! And I thank Heavenly Father for friends like you Jen, that have seen the "backstage" of my life and loved me through it all. You see my onstage performance and clap with the crowd! You cheer me on knowing what its really all about in my reailty. That's how I know you are a magnificent mother! Because yur my golden friend!

Emily said...

Children with Passports - Thank you!!! Why can't I be cherishing them at the same time that I am exhausted and frustrated and overwhelmed?!? I love that point of view!

Jana - My mom always tells me that I am in a stage of life where the days are long but the years go so quickly. It's so true! And two toddlers are enough to suck the life out of you in the first 10 minutes of the day! This is a hard stage. No doubt. The whining/crying alone is enough to make a girl loony. I was up with Kade all night! Maybe I got 3 hours of sleep total; the rest of the time was spent holding a crying boy. Honestly, how am I supposed to get up in the morning when I'm already running on "Below Empty" and have anything to give of myself to my husband and my other kids??? I feel defeated before I've begun. It's hard, and I'm sorry. For what it's worth, I think you are amazing and your kids are so stinkin' cute!

Jen - Thank you for a beautifully written statement. I miss your brain-dumps because you really know how to sum things up so they make sense to my mind and my spirit. I love how you seamlessly weave the gospel and the scriptures into your thoughts. You know I love you and look up to you in so many ways, but especially in motherhood. I spend enough time with you to know that your kids know you love them and adore them. I really think that's the most important thing.

In all honesty, I don't know if I will ever get the guilt to leave. It is with me all the time. It always has been - even as a child. I don't know how to exist without it. My main issue is that I know I'm not doing my best. If I had to face the Lord tomorrow, and He asked me if I had really done my best, I would have to say "no." That's when the guilt settles, makes himself comfortable, and stays. Sometimes I feel like it's too late to change; the damage has already been done and nothing I do now can undo it. Sometimes I feel like I'm just not worthy to live without guilt. It's my punishment. Sometimes I know what I need to do, but I'm just too tired to do it. And sometimes, I really and truly don't know what to do, which frustrates me beyond belief.

Anyway...I really should just start paying you since you save me tons of money in therapy. :-) I appreciate your honesty and I know I will read this over and over again in the future. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Jen, you are an awesome lady. I think you nailed it in so many ways. So many time the way things look on the surface really aren't the way they are. We are far too hard on ourselves and this cruel world demands way too much. Be kind to yourself...and the others too...you never know what turmoil someone is going through! Love ya Karen

Jamelle Kelly said...

I was watching some "expert" talking about kids who had moms who work vs. mom's who don't and on and on, but what she said I have since tried to always apply. She (I don't remember who "she" was, but) She said that kids only remember if their mom was happy. I can be happy around my kids even if everything else is going to H E double hockey sticks. That concept has really helped me out.

Jacqui said...

Just yesterday I though I need to write advice to my kids about the insane, hectic time of mothering young children. We're in a new phase with a 12, 10, 6, and 4-year-old, and I'm loving it. I can keep my sanity and enjoy (cherish, haha) them much more that when they pooped constantly, barfed, needed to be fed every hour, couldn't clean up after themselves, etc. Now I can boss them around. They vacuum. They play fun games. We read the same books, swap shoes and listen to the same music. They clean bathrooms. It's awesome.

I am naturally attuned to guilt. I was never good enough growing up, something I don't want to pass to my kids. I also guilt myself into believing I've offended people. I've worked to recognize that SO much of my feelings are in my head. They aren't realistic, they aren't true. I guilt myself (and Satan does, the jerk).

Having my kids grow older has helped me sort out what I really want in my life and for my family. I've lowered my expectations and been honest with myself about what's imperative and what's not, and having a game plan helps me to seriously enjoy my kids, my life as a mother and not feel guilt.

It's really weird, but I get what those old ladies are saying about cherishing kids while you have them, now that I can see past that fog of baby/toddler-Crazyville. Maybe because they are more cherish-able at this stage (ie reasonable!), I can love them more for who they are, look in their eyes more, really be PRESENT, something that was hard to do when many days all I wanted was to run away, lock myself into a room and read a book or take a bath! This probably sounds trite, but that is why I wanted to write it down for my kids. The craziness passes (and then comes the hormones...), even when it seems it will never, ever, ever end.

PS I love self-help books. I used to feel overwhelmed reading them, but now I just pick one thing and try to apply it, see if it works. I've stolen some of my best mama ideas from those books. Some are crap, but some are gold to me.

PPS I love your candor. Great post.

AudyCamp said...

I am so glad I just saw this post... I SO needed this today! Thanks for being so in tune & for talking so real & yet giving scriptural doctrine to make it all make sense. TRYING is so much more than we give ourselves credit for.

Robyn said...

Thanks, Jen! I feel so guilty some nights as I let the events of the day run through my head. I get so disappointed with myself, mostly because I think I can do better but by 9am I am frustrated. Then I feel like I ruined my day and if I don't really get a grip on myself, I do ruin the day. Silas doesn't understand how one thing can literally ruin a day. I am hoping it's not just me, but sometimes I am upset for a while. I need to work on that.

I do think that Satan uses guilt and despair on mothers. If we don't do our jobs, so many souls will suffer. That makes me feel a little guilty in itself, but mainly it motivates me to love my kids more than I did the day before.

Thanks again! You're awesome!

Kristi said...

Jen - I have read and reread this post many times. It has really helped me on so many levels. I hope it is ok that I posted a link to it on my blog - I feel that it could really touch the hearts of a few of my dear mother friends!
Thank you for always sharing such beautiful and profound thoughts with us all!